Kolohe Andino - No longer on O'Neill

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
As stupid as pro skaters are, they are geniuses compared to surfers.
It's the nature of the beast.

1) In order to be a successful pro skateboarder you have to have a good work ethic. Guys like Eric Koston, Josh Kalis, and Jamie Thomas all had/have good work ethics, this is why the remained successful for so long. It can be difficult to have a good work ethic and be a surfer.

2) Skateboarding is a sink or swim business. There is no brobrah culture.

3) The streets are always there. The life of a surfer depends on waves. You don't need to make life sacrifices to keep skateboarding and you can still fulfill your human potential. Surfing on the other hand is more akin to being a drug addict, and life sacrifices are usually made to keep surfing.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I find it a bit hilarious to lash out against capitalism, my guess would be that they would also like to make a profit af some point.

It's just performative- the richest guys on Earth can also strike these performative poses.

If you are selling shitt you are down with capitalism.

Reactions: ReForest

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
It's the nature of the beast.

1) In order to be a successful pro skateboarder you have to have a good work ethic. Guys like Eric Koston, Josh Kalis, and Jamie Thomas all had/have good work ethics, this is why the remained successful for so long. It can be difficult to have a good work ethic and be a surfer.

2) Skateboarding is a sink or swim business. There is no brobrah culture.

3) The streets are always there. The life of a surfer depends on waves. You don't need to make life sacrifices to keep skateboarding and you can still fulfill your human potential. Surfing on the other hand is more akin to being a drug addict, and life sacrifices are usually made to keep surfing.
Damn man - that was such an insightful statement.

• Haha

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Not to disagree with anything Casa said- but is there really no bro-brah culture in skateboarding?

I thought the whole thing was rife with collabs and all that modern, urban shitt- basically everyone pissing in each other's pockets.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Not to disagree with anything Casa said- but is there really no bro-brah culture in skateboarding?

I thought the whole thing was rife with collabs and all that modern, urban shitt- basically everyone pissing in each other's pockets.
Skateboarding has it all. Bigger, broader talent pool from all over the world. Everything from bro-brahs to effeminate art-school types to inner city kids. Part of its appeal I think.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Is it still huge?

Kinda felt to me like it had lost it's cool and become mainstream/milqetoast with all the 13 old girls in the Olympics.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
No clue on the participation numbers. On the brand side, the giant shoe corporations have more or less pushed out all of the core shoe companies. And on the flip side, there are more small companies making decks than ever before.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Not really a bro-brah scene.

Surfing involves a struggle over limited resources and that shapes the culture and promotes bro-brahism.

The skate industry itself is just different. It is/was fairly common to have non-skaters owning companies, skateshops, and skateparks.

With few exceptions, if a rider is not doing their job they're getting dumped quick. And there's much less hesitancy for companies to poach team riders.

There are trends but in general the culture is more welcoming to individualism because style and creativity matter heavily and people come from a variety of backgrounds.

And while the industry is centered in Southern California many skate pros come from elsewhere. There isn't the whole we-know-each-other-from-NSSA thing. People often move in and out of the skate scene fast, whereas surfers tend to hang around for decades.

Also there is skateboarding everywhere, unlike surfing which is centered at different points in coastal areas.

So it makes it difficult for bro-brah culture to form.

Is it still huge?

Kinda felt to me like it had lost it's cool and become mainstream/milqetoast with all the 13 old girls in the Olympics.
It's on the downslide.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Seems to have dissipated here.

There are skateparks everywhere but kids drift in and out- it doesn't really seem like a "cool" thing that you can build an identity around anymore.
Surf kids skate a bit, other kids skate.

It just doesn't seem like a "thing" anymore to be a skater.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Not really a bro-brah scene.

Surfing involves a struggle over limited resources and that shapes the culture and promotes bro-brahism.

The skate industry itself is just different. It is/was fairly common to have non-skaters owning companies, skateshops, and skateparks.

With few exceptions, if a rider is not doing their job they're getting dumped quick. And there's much less hesitancy for companies to poach team riders.

There are trends but in general the culture is more welcoming to individualism because style and creativity matter heavily and people come from a variety of backgrounds.

And while the industry is centered in Southern California many skate pros come from elsewhere. There isn't the whole we-know-each-other-from-NSSA thing. People often move in and out of the skate scene fast, whereas surfers tend to hang around for decades.

Also there is skateboarding everywhere, unlike surfing which is centered at different points in coastal areas.

So it makes it difficult for bro-brah culture to form.

It's on the downslide.
What brand of significance is owned by a non-skater? Skateboarding has a shitload of gatekeepers. Diverse, yes. But very closed off to outsiders at its core.

Last edited:

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Florence is good quality. I just don't like surf shorts that are not at least 19". Shirts, both regular and surf ones, are solid.

Jan 10, 2014
I have 2 Florence products and both seem to have great quality. Expensive sure but what isn’t these days. Would buy from them again.

Former-I seem to be above the age demographic at 30. I think Dane is great tho. Respect for doing it all himself to keep it going. Actually “core”

KA saying surf culture is dead while being an industry kid and taking deals from target Nike etc is wild. How is no one calling him on that hypocrisy? He’s 30 going on 19 with this rage against the establishment post. Calling yourself core while making shitty T shirts and hats doesn’t make you core.

I always got spoiled kid vibes from KA but then really enjoyed his SITD. Thought maybe I was wrong…back to not being a fan of him

Sorry grumpy dad post my kids been waking up at 5am for weeks now

Jun 4, 2019
What brand of significance is owned by a non-skater? Skateboarding has a shitload of gatekeepers. Diverse, yes. But very closed off to outsiders at its core.
Every major skate shoe brand? Or am I misunderstanding the premise? Still took Nike two tries to finally get their foot in the door though, so your point about being closed off to outsiders at its core is still fairly accurate.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
It is interesting to compare this dynamic to what you see in skating. A lot of skaters that are sponsored by the big shoe companies, take their money and use it to start smaller personal projects, and make brands to put their homies on. Seems like they've got it figured out and that one can strike a healthy balance riding for a company like Nike but making your own board brand or zine type thing.
Jamie Thomas has it figured out for sure! That guy seems like he knows what he's doing when it comes to starting a brand, marketing a brand, and riding for it. And he still rips for being in his 50's!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Plenty of woodshops are not skater owned. Perhaps even the majority. Same with wheels, hardware, and some grip.

And in addition to shoe companies, over the years plenty of companies and skate shops were/are bankrolled by nonskaters. I can't remember a lot of specifics nowdays but Girl comes to mind...Big investment group being the owner and Rick Howard's wife being the brains.

Reactions: slipped_disc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
imo, KA followed the track of industry idol to burnout to a T.

these kids will look up to him as he did to AI, and the cycle will repeat.

• Wow