Keel fin feedback?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The ones I have are blue/mint colored. Maybe mine are from a different batch? I usually always end up having to sand down cheaper future fins to get them to fit. I was surprised at how well these fit in the box.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
The ones I have are blue/mint colored. Maybe mine are from a different batch? I usually always end up having to sand down cheaper future fins to get them to fit. I was surprised at how well these fit in the box.
Both of my sets are the black ones - photo of em earlier in this thread. Yeah - so they must have differences in their manufacturing process.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
From the Lokbox keels era... for a performance oriented set up, my #1 were the CI template, by far (Hobbie, Doc, Turbo,...) I'm still a firm believer in this template. FCS II "Modern Keel fin" are very similar and are the ones i ride nowadays.
I have a grovel board (Bean Bag) and I had the Harley Ingleby quad set in it, thought it could use MOAR drive, so got the FCS II Modern Keel. I really liked the change with just the keel. Threw the log side bites in as trailers and liked that even more. I think I like the sh!t they're made out of too - caveat haven't tried it back to back with ass flex. Feels solid like some of the really old FCS fins I liked.

Had fun for a year or two, got a Griffin 5 fin set, really liked that set in other boards. Saw a GG keel set in classifieds, swooped, goes even better now.

Reactions: retodd

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Any Aussies tried the Creatures of Leisure keels?

Can't get them here in USA (can't even get to see them on website without some browser hacking) but they look pretty interesting.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008

#1 GRIFFIN Mod Keel is without a doubt my favorite high performance Keel Fin Fish.
#2 GH Keel with Lowboy fins
#3 Pavel Superbank

I usually get sick of riding Keels after 2-3 days in a row.

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
@flyinrapt, if you are still on the Twinzer Love program you might want to check out these:

I have a set, love the main fin, wish the canard was dual tabbed cause it has too much fin overlap. (Mattison style)

Support Local Surfer Labor
I like the look of em .... my main fin boxes are futures. In my 6'10" BSD Apollo twinzer - the Rainbow fins twinzer set is $$$. I tried running it as a straight twinny with keels one session and no - it's better as a twinzer. The 6'4" BSD - with the Rainbow Twinzer set is fast but (and it could just be the conditions i've ridden it in) feels like it could use more drive. As i mentioned earlier - been playing around with different setups - so far i think the Rainbow canard fin with the Futures' EN twin (looks similar to the Jobson - you're running but with a little more rake) is the best setup on the 6'4".

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
I like the look of em .... my main fin boxes are futures. In my 6'10" BSD Apollo twinzer - the Rainbow fins twinzer set is $$$. I tried running it as a straight twinny with keels one session and no - it's better as a twinzer. The 6'4" BSD - with the Rainbow Twinzer set is fast but (and it could just be the conditions i've ridden it in) feels like it could use more drive. As i mentioned earlier - been playing around with different setups - so far i think the Rainbow canard fin with the Futures' EN twin (looks similar to the Jobson - you're running but with a little more rake) is the best setup on the 6'4".
Came across this article about twinzers with a photo of Jobson .... the article gives him credit for the original design. I don't know if that's accurate or not but check out the fins in the board he's holding.

Jobson twinzer.png

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Captains Christenson Keel Especials are a bit more upright than the K2s and come in at a little over 24. They also sit a little further forward in the box. These are the black solid glass ones, not the red and black hex fins of a similar name.
anyone have experience w/ this fin? I haven’t had much luck w/ liking removable keels, but these look the most like the glass on ones that I’ve loved & I’m planning on ordering a post-quarantine twin version of the 5’8 quad I love from Brian Wynn.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Anyone have experience w/ the Hess Noriega keel from True Ames?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
anyone have experience w/ this fin? I haven’t had much luck w/ liking removable keels, but these look the most like the glass on ones that I’ve loved & I’m planning on ordering a post-quarantine twin version of the 5’8 quad I love from Brian Wynn.
These are my fav fins for my keels, so much so I keep 2 sets around. Use them in my Speed Square copy and Christenson fish.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Anyone have experience w/ the Hess Noriega keel from True Ames?
Haven’t tried those specifically but TA’s quality, fit and finish are top shelf.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Best keels I ever had were Lokbox CI turbo keels...loved them until the Pavel keel hauler I had died and Lokbox went out of fashion.
Those things were insane. I have a pair hanging around. I have thought about using them as glassons but never gotten around to it.

Keel choice should kind of depend on the board you ride and what you want the fin to do.

If you have a pretty traditional twin keep than the hobies are the way to go. Want to surf with a more modern approach? Go for something like the CI twin keels.

I'm personally using a pair of the Christenson twin keels for captain fin co in a poly Rob Machado Go Fish. No complaints. Nice and light, responsive and snappy.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
Went w/ the Captain Christiansen keels. Board to be ordered Friday. Will report back in about 8-10 weeks.
Back in the day, I had a set of these; they were green back then. They had a little extra toe built into them (to allow them to get the front of the base further up in the front of the box and still allow you to tighten the screw). Maybe they changed the fin since then--not sure. That to say, your shaper might want to have the set in hand when setting the fins unless he has experience with that set.

Reactions: aldo

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Yes. The CC keels sit forward in the futures box and almost over the screw. I guess that the Christenson boxes sit a little further towards the tail?
There are two sets. Black with red and honeycomb and the black with white line are solid glass. I use the latter. They are big at around 24.25 but a little more upright than most keels.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
Back in the day, I had a set of these; they were green back then. They had a little extra toe built into them (to allow them to get the front of the base further up in the front of the box and still allow you to tighten the screw). Maybe they changed the fin since then--not sure. That to say, your shaper might want to have the set in hand when setting the fins unless he has experience with that set.
yea, I will be taking them w/ me when I meet w/ the shaper for that reason...he’s very good about nailing box placement when you have a specific fin in mind. I’ve never had much luck w/ removable keeps...tried the Rastas, the TA Hobie, K1 & K2 from Futures, etc...these Christiansen’s look promising.
I have the black & white fiberglass set, not the honeycomb. Definitely very upright, which I like. I compared them to a pair of TA Gephart #2s that I have in my shed & the leading edge matches very closely; I that find encouraging since that Geppy 2 template is one of my favorites.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
What if you don’t gel with the CC fins? Maybe go with the shapers initial placement and then experiment with fins? CC keels are unique and sit way forward on the base. Most other keels are set further back giving you more options.