Keel fin feedback?

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
Negative. Get some coarse grit and sand down the base?
no way. wrap some kind of tape around that leading edge (while the fin is in th eboard), making sure the tape sits flush with the bottom of the board, wrapping from the lifted section going back to where the fin actually sits flush. remove fin. turn fin upside down and sit in some sort of clamp or something to level it as best as possible. literally dip a pen or somethign into resin, allow it to drop into what is now a little wrapping dam that's been created by the tape. let harden. doesn't need cloth. good to go. doesnt f*&(# with the fin and handles it.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
That sounds too complicated for someone with my poor fine motor skills. I'll probs just surf the fins like they are. The gap prbably creates a negligible amount of resistance. It's just irritating.

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
That sounds too complicated for someone with my poor fine motor skills. I'll probs just surf the fins like they are. The gap prbably creates a negligible amount of resistance. It's just irritating.
i'm a tool-tard with routine detox shakes...if i can do it, anyone can. then again....that gap might mean drive!

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Had the same issue with the Surf Squared keels - first couldn't get them to even go in the box - sanded the base - then had a gap - sanded some more - finally got it flush. Tip - i used a long metal file - can pick them up pretty cheap at Home Depot - makes it easier and quicker then trying use sand paper.

Reactions: Aruka

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
Is there a keel fin that sits in front of the futures box like the CC keels but is a little smaller? I’m finding the CC keels a bit too stiff in the long fish whereas they are perfect in a standard short fish. Most of the smaller keels, like the k2s, sit further back in the box.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Update - still messing around with fins on my 6'4" - decided to give the Surf Squared Keels another go ... this time without the twinzer canards fins - rode it just as straight twin keel. Definitely, felt better as far as the Surf squared keels are concerned - plenty of drive, hold and glide - felt more responsive as far as rail to rail or adjusting your line. It was about waist to stomach high - windswell ... bigger swells on the way next week - gonna keep em in and see how it goes.

May 10, 2016
caraibe
From the Lokbox keels era... for a performance oriented set up, my #1 were the CI template, by far (Hobbie, Doc, Turbo,...) I'm still a firm believer in this template. FCS II "Modern Keel fin" are very similar and are the ones i ride nowadays.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Just bought the surf squared keels. They look pretty similar in size to these keels I used to use that came from aliexpress.
Careful with sanding down the base. I accidentally bought two sets of them - the first set went into my 6'4" and to get them flush with the board had to do a significant amount of sanding the base down. As you can see in the photos above i was able to get em flush. The second set - i just tried out in my 6'10" - had the same problem- trying to get them flush. Same deal - a lot of sanding ... then tried them out and ended up losing one of the fins. Glad i made a mistake and ordered two sets.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Dang man that sucks. The fit and finish on mine was really good but I got one of the first sets released (thanks for the heads up @retodd).

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Careful with sanding down the base. I accidentally bought two sets of them - the first set went into my 6'4" and to get them flush with the board had to do a significant amount of sanding the base down. As you can see in the photos above i was able to get em flush. The second set - i just tried out in my 6'10" - had the same problem- trying to get them flush. Same deal - a lot of sanding ... then tried them out and ended up losing one of the fins. Glad i made a mistake and ordered two sets.
That sucks.

I'm usually too lazy to sand things down flush in future boxes. I just put them in and run it. Haven't really noticed a difference.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
anyone ever tried a twinzer setup with those hybrid upright twin/keel fins? had those on a non-twinzet beatty years ago....they seemed to be pretty F*&(##*( sick.
i ran the Surf Squared keels in a twinzer setup initially - felt too stiff. I haven't been riding twinzer setups for very long but so far i have had better results with regular twin fins vs keel fins in the twinzer setup.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
Has anyone tried the set from pushfins?
Have not tried.Personally I like the earlier versions more than the current, I talked with him at the Scared Craft
really nice guy open about design talk. But now they seem like a very small amount of recycled skate deck in injection mold. Nine Lights is making some real interesting fins, worth a look.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Interesting.

I just got my surf squared keels yesterday and they fit perfectly. Nice fins for the price.
I bought two sets - same problem with both .... either differences in the fin boxes themselves or differences with how they are being manufactured. Also - picked up the Futures Alpha Keel2's no problem with them fitting in the boxes and no problem with the Rainbow Twinzer or the Future's EN sets. So my regular spot has been closed down here ... conditions looked good so ventured to a more remote jungle spot - got absolutely torn up by jellyfish and sea lice ... by the time i got home legs felt like they were on fire - spent 2 hours in the pool to cool em off. I guess nature's way of saying stay home!

Reactions: oeste858