Keel fin feedback?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka Do you have any interest in Noel Salas HP Keels that he designed with NVS?
I watched his video on the fins and they sound like they might be a step in the right direction in relation to the Fascination fins or the Al Merrick keel fins (shorter base and more upright template).
they look alright but probably a little small and upright for me. also that paint job does not bring me joy.

Reactions: MathDebater

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I think they were mentioned, but has anyone tried the NVS C-Drive fins? Keels or any of them.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
I think Aruka said he tried them but didnt like them. Might have been the wave or something?
Im interested in trying them, but i just dont get how they would work and i'm sure there is a learning curve.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
Would love to see a keel - twinzer set of fins with the canards designed specifically with keel rears in mind. I've been limited in that i only have one set of front canard fins to play with - and they were designed with a specific upright rear fin in mind. Despite that - have had pretty good success teaming them with keel rear fins. With the front canards -helps minimize the issues of stability with the smaller keel rears.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
@Aruka Do you have any interest in Noel Salas HP Keels that he designed with NVS?
I watched his video on the fins and they sound like they might be a step in the right direction in relation to the Fascination fins or the Al Merrick keel fins (shorter base and more upright template).
I'll be getting them for my he who should not be named Rasta Torus Twin. By their description, I think they would go really well in the board (wide and rakey, yet upright)

Unless someone here can recommend another "performance keel" ... I'm not really all too clued up on twin set ups and how to interpret their measurements.

Reactions: MathDebater

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Twins are tricky... but im loving the feel of them. So smooth and fast. Gonna ride the "twinny" wave for a while and see where it takes me! :)

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Twins are tricky... but im loving the feel of them. So smooth and fast. Gonna ride the "twinny" wave for a while and see where it takes me! :)
A lot of people associate twins with small waves - skatey feel ..... and of course depends on the board but i've found that the more i ride them in good waves - the more i like prefer them.

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
A lot of people associate twins with small waves - skatey feel ..... and of course depends on the board but i've found that the more i ride them in good waves - the more i like prefer them.
I think dialing the fins is the hardest part. Once you get that figured out i think you can really start to experiment with the board on different wave types. I cant wait to for winter and to get it out on some big pumping days.

groggylbc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 15, 2006
I think they were mentioned, but has anyone tried the NVS C-Drive fins? Keels or any of them.
i have been using NVS Album keels on my board..freaking great. I had a set from a big company and the board lagged, lacked drive and was super stiff. Swapped them out and now the board is free, fast and alive!!

Reactions: Aruka
Jan 13, 2017
Got me curious - checked out the Surf Squared Keels ....

Good looking fins - great price .... good reviews. Thinking at that price can swing picking those up along with different set. I was looking at the K2's with how far forward they are. I am running twinzer setups - so thinking the forward position may conflict with the design. So probably grab a set of the Surf Squared Keels and deciding between the Lovelace Keel and the Hess Noriega Keel.
I have both the surf squared and the Hess Noriega. Surfed both in a 5'6" mandala fish. Have to say, the Noriega is a sweet fin. Feels agile and quick while still having great hold. Have surfed them backside in some powerful waves and they felt like they held great with good drive. Overall seems like a great balance between hold/drive while still being loose enough to feel free and fun. Also, the True Ames construction is second to none, the quality is just great. I had some christenson keels from captain fin and the quality control was not on the same level as TA.

Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
I have both the surf squared and the Hess Noriega. Surfed both in a 5'6" mandala fish. Have to say, the Noriega is a sweet fin. Feels agile and quick while still having great hold. Have surfed them backside in some powerful waves and they felt like they held great with good drive. Overall seems like a great balance between hold/drive while still being loose enough to feel free and fun. Also, the True Ames construction is second to none, the quality is just great. I had some christenson keels from captain fin and the quality control was not on the same level as TA.
I have the surf squared keels .... at first felt too big and stiff but more i rode them the more i found myself liking them. They go really well in the twinzer setup ... and actually like them better in the twinzer setup versus straight twin keel. Depending on the board/conditions .... i find myself going back and forth between keels and more upright performance twins. I would love to see/try a hybrid between the two. The Hess Noriega's caught my eye when i went back to the states earlier this year .... but unfortunately True Ames was sold out at the time.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
I've had a chance to surf a few different keel sets in the last couple of months, and for me there are two sets that stand out. I'm 6'2" 225Lbs, and ride a 6'0" Stretch 2win fish, which I love.

#1 McCallum keels, the purple ones. Plenty of drive, projection, but a nice quick release, my favorites for sure.
#2 AMK's, a close second, and probably the best for the beach breaks I usually surf, a bit more pivoty, and loose.
#3 Hobie Keels, I wanted to like these fins the most, they were super drivey, but really slow to release, would be fun on a lined up point?
#4 Jim Phillips keels, really wanted to like these, but they never sat in the box right. They were kinda slow and stiff, but didn't really reward with the drive or projection of the others.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I've had a chance to surf a few different keel sets in the last couple of months, and for me there are two sets that stand out. I'm 6'2" 225Lbs, and ride a 6'0" Stretch 2win fish, which I love.

#1 McCallum keels, the purple ones. Plenty of drive, projection, but a nice quick release, my favorites for sure.
#2 AMK's, a close second, and probably the best for the beach breaks I usually surf, a bit more pivoty, and loose.
#3 Hobie Keels, I wanted to like these fins the most, they were super drivey, but really slow to release, would be fun on a lined up point?
#4 Jim Phillips keels, really wanted to like these, but they never sat in the box right. They were kinda slow and stiff, but didn't really reward with the drive or projection of the others.
Which board did you use and where are the ends of the futures boxes relative to end of the tail?

im super interested in trying both the McCallum and AMK. I agree the Hobies can feel like a whole lot of fin.

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Which board did you use and where are the ends of the futures boxes relative to end of the tail?

im super interested in trying both the McCallum and AMK. I agree the Hobies can feel like a whole lot of fin.
I tried to post a pic on my phone, but it's nearly impossible with the pop up ads, there is a pic of it on the Stretch thread. I did notice on the Hobie's that there is more fin (surface area) further back in the box, compared to the other keels. It seemed like the McCallum's had more cant than the other keels I tried too, they were just as drivey as the Hobie's, but will actually release. The AMK's were great, and seemed like they would be similar to the Lovelace piggybacks, but with more surface area. I actually really dig them, especially surfing beach break most of the time, I think you'd be set with either or, maybe both?