Keel fin feedback?

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
From the specs - the K2's have 22.75 area and the Noriega's 24.56.
Yeah it didn't seem like too much of a difference when you look at the numbers, especially compared to other keels, but the board was quite a bit trackier. I switched back to the k2s midsession and the difference was noticeable

After further investigating, the k2s are little more forward than the Hess. The k2's leading edge goes between the stringer and the fin box screw and ends at the end of screw (if it was centered over the screw hole, it would completely cover the screw). the Hess leading edge barely goes over the tail side edge of the center of the screw

Last edited:
Reactions: flyinraptr

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
I have a new ci fish. looking to get some fins for it. leaning towards either AM-keels or McCallum Keels. any idea which template have more cant? and are these fins made in the same material? which has more flex?
Great questions - in general the info on them is pretty sparse other than the typical marketing hype. None of the websites give cant info and if i remember correctly only a couple mentioned what kind of material they are made of. Most of them appear to have a flat foil with the exception of the Machado and the Lovelace Keel ... on the True Ames site - they indicate that the Lovelace Keel has a 90/10 foil - have never heard of that before - curious as to what that looks like.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Great questions - in general the info on them is pretty sparse other than the typical marketing hype. None of the websites give cant info and if i remember correctly only a couple mentioned what kind of material they are made of. Most of them appear to have a flat foil with the exception of the Machado and the Lovelace Keel ... on the True Ames site - they indicate that the Lovelace Keel has a 90/10 foil - have never heard of that before - curious as to what that looks like.
The flat side is slightly not flat.

all of true Ames keels and the CI keels (which are made by true Ames) are the same fiber glass construction.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Yeah it didn't seem like too much of a difference when you look at the numbers, especially compared to other keels, but the board was quite a bit trackier. I switched back to the k2s midsession and the difference was noticeable

After further investigating, the k2s are little more forward than the Hess. The k2's leading edge goes between the stringer and the fin box screw and ends at the end of screw (if it was centered over the screw hole, it would completely cover the screw). the Hess leading edge barely goes over the tail side edge of the center of the screw
Good info. Comparing photos of the two - you can see that the leading edge of the K2 is positioned considerably farther forward of the base tab compared to the Hess Noriega. The K2 also has a little less area. How are the K2's as far as drive, glide, etc?

Lowqi2

OTF status
Mar 17, 2013
just picked up a set of AM-keels from Froghouse. will report back next week when we get some rideable waves.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
Good info. Comparing photos of the two - you can see that the leading edge of the K2 is positioned considerably farther forward of the base tab compared to the Hess Noriega. The K2 also has a little less area. How are the K2's as far as drive, glide, etc?
This is the first twin keel I've owned and my only reference point comes from quad fish. Drive and glide are good. I haven't had the k2s slide out on me and they feel good going into and coming out of turns. I got the Noriegas to see if a slightly bigger fin would go better

Last edited:

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
How much do you weigh? I agree about the Piggyback's being a little loose for heavier riders.

I've got tons of keel fin sets and my favorite so far is the Surf Squared Keels. They're big and raked but with a finer, more swept back tip that gives them a little more twang and more predictable release through turns in my experience. I've also heard good things about the Futures AMK's and I just got a set but have yet to use them.

It looks like the Hobie keels are sold out. Those Hess's look good I don't think you could go wrong there.
Got me curious - checked out the Surf Squared Keels ....

Good looking fins - great price .... good reviews. Thinking at that price can swing picking those up along with different set. I was looking at the K2's with how far forward they are. I am running twinzer setups - so thinking the forward position may conflict with the design. So probably grab a set of the Surf Squared Keels and deciding between the Lovelace Keel and the Hess Noriega Keel.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Cool man I look forward to hearing your take on them. I don't know if anyone else on here has tried them but like I said I've been running them for about a year in my Banjo fish and they are easily my favorite. They are pretty large and swept back so if you are trying to decide on another set I would lean towards something a little smaller and more upright just to have some contrast.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Cool man I look forward to hearing your take on them. I don't know if anyone else on here has tried them but like I said I've been running them for about a year in my Banjo fish and they are easily my favorite. They are pretty large and swept back so if you are trying to decide on another set I would lean towards something a little smaller and more upright just to have some contrast.
Sounds good .... maybe the Lovelace Piggyback's might be the right call. I've got a couple new boards - a 6'4" and a 6'10". I had originally planned on the Rainbow Fin twinzer set and sent a set to my shaper for the fin box placement. The set works well in the 6'10" but doesn't have enough drive in the 6'4". The Rainbow twinzer is pretty raked but has a relatively short base (4.5"). Been running the Future's EN twins in it instead. At first the EN's felt great but as i have gotten more acquainted with the board - the EN's feel a little slow.

Lovelace Piggyback ..

Rainbow twinzer set ...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah for longer boards like you're riding, at least compared to a little fish, something like the Piggyback's might actually be kinda nice. They should have a little more built in speed compared to the EN's and they will definitely be looser than most traditional keels.

I know some people like the EN's but personally they are not my favorite in most boards. They are so tall and carry a lot of area into the tip it feels like they are slow rail to rail. In my only long twin, a 6'8" Album Townsend, I run the NVS Album Fascination Twin's which are wider at the base, thinner at the tip and a bit more raked out. I liked other fins in this board but these definitely are my favorite. They feel like somewhat of a middle ground between a keel and an upright twin. Not trying to steer you in any direction but they might be worth a look.

Is the plan to run the twinzer canards along with the keel fins or just strait keels?

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
Yeah for longer boards like you're riding, at least compared to a little fish, something like the Piggyback's might actually be kinda nice. They should have a little more built in speed compared to the EN's and they will definitely be looser than most traditional keels.

I know some people like the EN's but personally they are not my favorite in most boards. They are so tall and carry a lot of area into the tip it feels like they are slow rail to rail. In my only long twin, a 6'8" Album Townsend, I run the NVS Album Fascination Twin's which are wider at the base, thinner at the tip and a bit more raked out. I liked other fins in this board but these definitely are my favorite. They feel like somewhat of a middle ground between a keel and an upright twin. Not trying to steer you in any direction but they might be worth a look.

Is the plan to run the twinzer canards along with the keel fins or just strait keels?
Yeah - in the short time i've been riding the twinzer setup - i have been blown away - definitely sticking with it for now. The NVS fins look good ...

I've got the Surf Squared Keels on order ... if True Ames has the Piggyback's in stock - will probably order them as well ... only going to be in the US for a few days - so if i can't get them shipped quickly will have to go with something else. I am going to be in Miami - so if i have some time - might try to find a surf shop in the area.

Reactions: Aruka

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I tested out the surf squared keels over two sessions so far in my banjo. One racy beach break and the other mellower reef with a couple fun turn sections. I struggled with the fins all morning but I think it was more me being off my game. On my third wave during the reef session I finally clicked with them and really felt some added drive compared to the futures EN's I usually run. Tons of hold. They definitely aren't as loose but still really playful and fun. I think I will be leaving them in for a while.

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
I ended up picking up a set of the Surf Squared Keels and the Futures Alpha K2 keels. Every set i was looking at on True Ames website was sold out. I've had a session on each (twinzer setup - with same canards) ... the Surf Squared Keels have a very interesting template - well made fins. But they are rather large ... total area is 25". Tried them in my 6'4" - beach break - waist to chest high conditions - fading swell. They felt smooth - plenty of hold but for me (5'6" - 165lbs) felt a little too big when trying to go rail-to-rail. In larger conditions - at a point break or reef where you need to cover a lot of ground and have room to make big sweeping turns - they would probably work ok for me. Otherwise - i think more suited for a larger person .... too bad they only come in one size. The session with the Alpha K2's - same board - slightly better conditions - definitely felt better in terms of size (22.25 area). Board felt quicker, more responsive and looser going rail to rail. Again - one session on each .. so small sample size. It will be interesting to give them a try in my 6'10" - forecast looks good for next week - so we'll see.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
So I got some Tru Ames Hobbie Keels and the front of the base does not sit flush with the hull of the board. They are raised maybe 2 millimeters above. Is this by design? Doesn't seem right.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
So I got some Tru Ames Hobbie Keels and the front of the base does not sit flush with the hull of the board. They are raised maybe 2 millimeters above. Is this by design? Doesn't seem right.
Negative. Get some coarse grit and sand down the base?