JS warehouse Oceanside retaliation

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
...The custom Italo Ferreira model pu/pe starts at $635. That's a great price. The suggestion that OSHA regulations are making it unviable for CA builders is not adding up.
WTF!?!

California Real Estate/Rent makes it unviable. Put the industry at arms length?

Even Bed Bath and Beyond is getting rid of coupons/discounts...don’t ask me how I know. :trout: :beer:

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr and Mr J

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it, this is the thread for writing enjoyable nonsense. At least we are adding some real content to the Beachgrit article.

I just had a look at the website of a San Clemente manufacturer whose initials are coincidentally the same. The custom Italo Ferreira model pu/pe starts at $635. That's a great price. The suggestion that OSHA regulations are making it unviable for CA builders is not adding up. Even when competing with companies leveraging off low Australian rent and slack environmental standards (if you believe Ulusurfer) and developing country Australian wages (if you believe me). JS or DHD custom AU$900
combination of rent, OSHA, taxes, make it more expensive for JS to manufacture boards here. Not to mention a quality control nightmare for them. As I said previously they have their own facility in australia where they already sunk the cost.

I am not saying that it is unviable for JS to make boards or unviable for local builders to build boards here, but it is likely around 20% cheaper for JS to build boards in australia. 20% when you do the volume that JS does is a huge amount of money.

If JS wanted to they could easily make all their boards wherever they wanted. I don't see this working in reverse where an american shaper send a board to australia, why? because it's way too expensive when the exchange rate is factored in

Reactions: Mr J

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
WTF!?!

California Real Estate/Rent makes it unviable. Put the industry at arms length?

Even Bed Bath and Beyond is getting rid of coupons/discounts...don’t ask me how I know. :trout: :beer:
thanks for providing some real content SlicedFeet. Beachgrit couldn't even give us the name of the tagger.

So what news can we generate today? Here is a start:

OSHA regulations forcing Bed Bath and Beyond out of California.
Hawaiian market tainted by Chronic's undercutting business model force Pyzel to set up California operations.
Lost to launch WTO anti dumping appeal against JS unloading aussie made UD$900 surfboards on to the US market at $620 retail.
:trout::shaka::beer::ban:

Reactions: SlicedFeet and jkb

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hawaiian market tainted by Chronic's undercutting business model force Pyzel to set up California operations.
I've gotten about 4 chronics in the past two years and I rarely see others around. I doubt he's making a (pressure) dent.

I see A LOT of Pyzel, Mayhem, Firewire and Tokoros. Then probably Pang, Schaper, JS and Arakawas. All of those are $650+.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Whenever I meet Australians in Ca, I'm always interested in how they got here.

I like hearing the accent too so I can practice mine.

G'die. I recken . . . .

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The guy who has the gripe should confront the Aussie board maker directly.

What a waste of energy.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.

Now, if you will excuse me, I must return to the politics section to fuss and fight with Squildy and TMZ's trolls.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Firewire dodges this heat cause they don't have a brick and mortar and they setup sweetheart deals with longstanding retailers in the community. They also flow tons of boards to B/C level pros. Both are the sweet, sweet benefits of having bigger margins than any competitors, even better margins than Wavestorm.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Firewire dodges this heat cause they don't have a brick and mortar and they setup sweetheart deals with longstanding retailers in the community. They also flow tons of boards to B/C level pros. Both are the sweet, sweet benefits of having bigger margins than any competitors, even better margins than Wavestorm.

exactly.

that, and it is cumulative. straws and camels.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
What's most interesting about this is Firewire never got this kind of treatment and this is all occurring while the industry is so busy some shapers have stopped taking orders.

That should give you pause.
To be fair, domestic surfboard manufacturers have been shitting on FW since they popped out.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Firewire started in San Diego. They only went overseas after the company took a dive and needed to be restructured. Their technology is what makes them unique... and their unconventional shapes.

As i mentioned before, an FST board is vacuum bagged twice and takes a lot a work to assemble/make... and its very durable and stays white longer than any other PU or Epoxy board. That type of board construction would cost a pretty penny to be constructed here in the USA.

Firewire is very different than JS and what JS is trying to set up.