JS warehouse Oceanside retaliation

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Headline says violent. Where’s the violence?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
They already attempted US production and as said before there were QC issues.

If I remember they also attempted to do some HyFis here in the US as well - in fact I'm pretty sure production was in O'side - not sure what happened. Maybe someone here has the info.

This is a brand that to me seems to make quality a focus - I'm no expert but the PU boards produced in OZ seem to be some of the highest quality workmanship I've seen.

It's kinda funny the warehouse is located across town from the shaping ghetto (that would clearly be asking for it) while one of the biggest surf shops in the county is in the same area and might as well be a warehouse for Firewire... yet it slips through unscathed.

Does anyone know if Mayhems are imported into OZ or is all production done there?
It would be smart of JS to revisit offering customs here in SoCal and use one of the local guys to cut and glass it.

Also, its worth noting that all the employees that work for JS are all long time oceanside locals.

Reactions: Waterlogged05
May 10, 2018

If I remember they also attempted to do some HyFis here in the US as well - in fact I'm pretty sure production was in O'side - not sure what happened. Maybe someone here has the info.

This is a brand that to me seems to make quality a focus - I'm no expert but the PU boards produced in OZ seem to be some of the highest quality workmanship I've seen.

It's kinda funny the warehouse is located across town from the shaping ghetto (that would clearly be asking for it) while one of the biggest surf shops in the county is in the same area and might as well be a warehouse for Firewire... yet it slips through unscathed.

Does anyone know if Mayhems are imported into OZ or is all production done there?
Mayhems are made in Oz on the Gold Coast, same place also makes Pyzels ( I think).

Reactions: jkb and waxfoot

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Mayhems are made in Oz on the Gold Coast, same place also makes Pyzels ( I think).
pyzel, lost, sharpeye all made on the Gold Coast in currumbin.
CI is made in tweed and Mona vale NSW.

this is a financial move to make boards in Australia. With the exchange rate and lack of as strict of osha regulations in OZ a board probably costs half as much to produce there.

not to mention the quality of PU boards are generally better in Australia.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Quality control issues?

plenty of guys have zero issue producing boards of high quality right here in the USA. There’s nothing special about Aus that makes it any different.

regardless I don’t have problem buying from any shaper from anywhere in the world; as long as it’s from an actual shaper or run by one.

Reactions: ajmojave
May 10, 2018
pyzel, lost, sharpeye all made on the Gold Coast in currumbin.
CI is made in tweed and Mona vale NSW.

this is a financial move to make boards in Australia. With the exchange rate and lack of as strict of osha regulations in OZ a board probably costs half as much to produce there.

not to mention the quality of PU boards are generally better in Australia.
Yep Sharpeye was the other one, couldn't remember it earlier.

Weird that boards are cheaper to make here in Aus but are generally more expensive than the US. Most big brands in OZ sell PU boards for over $800.

I've got a stock Pyzel that was made in the Currumbin facotry and it has probably held up better than any board I've ever owned.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It would be smart of JS to revisit offering customs here in SoCal and use one of the local guys to cut and glass it.

Also, its worth noting that all the employees that work for JS are all long time oceanside locals.
Nutty is from Australia and lives in Carlsbad.
North America Sales Manager is from Carlsbad. He got a half a hallpass by working at SurfRide and being a nice guy.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

I remember when JS started production here they were pumping out elf shoe looking garbage. That was easily 10 years ago.

Global burned down a few years ago and fucked up some production levels in the valley. Don't know if that has anything to do with anything.

Pay the right people to make your product right and you can make it here. In the meantime, taking OCEANSIDE off your fucking branding would be a great start.

Last edited:

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Yep Sharpeye was the other one, couldn't remember it earlier.

Weird that boards are cheaper to make here in Aus but are generally more expensive than the US. Most big brands in OZ sell PU boards for over $800.

I've got a stock Pyzel that was made in the Currumbin facotry and it has probably held up better than any board I've ever owned.
800 aud is equal to 585 usd. Your board has tax included. A board bought in America with tax added is $980 aud. $665+$55 tax.

$180 aussie bones more is a lot more.

I also find shops are more cool in qld. They always hook up pads fins leggies etc...whereas here shops don’t give much of a bro deals

Reactions: cagey

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Nutty is from Australia and lives in Carlsbad.
North America Sales Manager is from Carlsbad. He got a half a hallpass by working at SurfRide and being a nice guy.
Do you think it would have been more appropriate for them to open a location in Carlsbad instead of Oceanside?

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
They messed up with the first attempts in the US. I'd suspect the good production guys around here are in high demand and already partnered with (usually) a well-established group of domestic shapers. Don't think there are many established guys just waiting or set-up for high-volume foreign work to come in. You either have to build it up from scratch or have something really good to offer the experienced guys. So JS ended up with some b-grade guys making boards, b grade sales reps, etc. DHD had similar issues over here. Saw them start up and close down several different operations.

Also Griffin was flamed for his comments, but it's pretty clear Pyzel took the time to set up some good operations around the world. I needed a board and got one while I was in Europe - consistent with US shapes, glassing great. My US-made ones are all glassed extremely well too. Have heard the same about the Aussie-made ones (see above).

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Also Griffin was flamed for his comments, but it's pretty clear Pyzel took the time to set up some good operations around the world. I needed a board and got one while I was in Europe - consistent with US shapes, glassing great. My US-made ones are all glassed extremely well too. Have heard the same about the Aussie-made ones (see above).
This

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Do you think it would have been more appropriate for them to open a location in Carlsbad instead of Oceanside?
It would have been par for the course in Carlsbad, a city with a fraction of the legacy and investment in board building. They chose Oceanside because of that heritage and lower rent.

I've clearly outlined what would be more appropriate.

Reactions: Havoc

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
JS tried domestic but had major quality issues. apparently the glassing was bad, foam cuts were off, machines weren't as good as the oz machines and blanks were different (they use buford in oz which is A+). I heard a rumor that they may have had a problem with some of their design files getting sold under the table. So they pulled the plug and decided to produce them all in Aus and just ship them over. The quality of the australia boards has been consistently outstanding and seems to only be getting better from what I've seen. I've also had an off the rack thailand hyfi that works amazing and you would never know it was a thai board except for the little logo at the bottom. I think they're just focused on quality above everything else which I can appreciate.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
JS tried domestic but had major quality issues. apparently the glassing was bad, foam cuts were off, machines weren't as good as the oz machines and blanks were different (they use buford in oz which is A+). I heard a rumor that they may have had a problem with some of their design files getting sold under the table. So they pulled the plug and decided to produce them all in Aus and just ship them over. The quality of the australia boards has been consistently outstanding and seems to only be getting better from what I've seen. I've also had an off the rack thailand hyfi that works amazing and you would never know it was a thai board except for the little logo at the bottom. I think they're just focused on quality above everything else which I can appreciate.
Sounds like they had Dane cutting their blanks. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This is basically what I heard. I had wondered about the foam too and the above makes sense.

The boards I have seen over the past 2 years OTR look and feel top notch - it's distinguishing quality about them.