JS warehouse Oceanside retaliation

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Burford blanks are fine, widely used. My local regional custom has a burford inside it. We don't know that JS uses them or do we? There are other blank companies too https://coreindustries.com.au/services/

Having said that, Southern California is the mecca of surfboard design and locally built pu/pe. It doesn't make sense to ship Australian pu/pe there. Exchange rate is currently $1 AU = 73 cents, not massive. New surfboards here retail for $800 - 900 AU. How much does a top brand (Lost, Pyzel etc) locally made PU/PE HPSB cost in California?

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina
May 10, 2018
I'd love to find out what blank they are using for the Pyzel Ghosts made in Oz (TC Glasshouse at Tweed, not Currumbin).
Mine's 3 years old and fcukiing bulletproof.

And the weight/density feels perfect.
What is ur glassing? Mine is stock and is 4x6x4 which is stronger than most stock glass jobs (4x4x4). Still in great condition.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I think knowledge of different blank formulas and densities is a giant black hole and would really benefit consumers if more was known.
I wonder how shapers would feel about this?

The big manufacturers might not care as much - they already have enough market share to compensate for guys who insist on playing shaper when they order a board and then bitching about the results.

But as for the smaller guys, there's only so many claims of that board sucked/was too heavy/dented too easy/etc they're probably willing to tolerate for the sake of their reputation.

90% of surfers still haven't figured out EPS is a type of foam and epoxy is a resin. So for PU, throwing in orange, red, blue densities, etc might be just too much for them to grapple with.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I wonder how shapers would feel about this?

The big manufacturers might not care as much - they already have enough market share to compensate for guys who insist on playing shaper when they order a board and then bitching about the results.

But as for the smaller guys, there's only so many claims of that board sucked/was too heavy/dented too easy/etc they're probably willing to tolerate for the sake of their reputation.

90% of surfers still haven't figured out EPS is a type of foam and epoxy is a resin. So for PU, throwing in orange, red, blue densities, etc might be just too much for them to grapple with.
probably right.

too much info, too much risk of reputational damage.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
probably right.

too much info, too much risk of reputational damage.
I agree with Casa too. I don't think customers would cope with being asked "would you like a burford, core, south coast or surfblanks. Surfblanks have a good crust, south coast has small bubbles for low resin absorbtion etc, then what density surfblanks?".

Instead most places offer a couple of build options - team light which can be achieved with glass and/or blank density. 99% of customers would choose standard build for durability and it is best to leave it up to the manufacturer what is best suited for the design and that build option.

Some of this durability is in the hands of the shaping machine operator - choosing a blank with deck rocker that matches the file and accurate placement of blank in the machine to minimise removing the dense outer foam from the deck - GWS did give some explanation on this in one of our durability threads.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I agree.

But so much of the boards characteristics depend on the blank, and that gets almost zero consideration in the design/custom process.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
TMI.
better to just have a standard foam, one that you like to shape, that your boards are proven on, with a standard glass job to go with it.
if a customer wants something different and are educated enough to ask about it, then it’s going to be a waste of time trying to talk to them about foam options, glass options, fun options, etc.
that my 2$chuck

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
Burford blanks are fine, widely used. My local regional custom has a burford inside it. We don't know that JS uses them or do we? There are other blank companies too https://coreindustries.com.au/services/

Having said that, Southern California is the mecca of surfboard design and locally built pu/pe. It doesn't make sense to ship Australian pu/pe there. Exchange rate is currently $1 AU = 73 cents, not massive. New surfboards here retail for $800 - 900 AU. How much does a top brand (Lost, Pyzel etc) locally made PU/PE HPSB cost in California?

America costs way more to build boards than australia, the exchange rate is an extra 27% icing on the cake.

800 aud is equal to 585 usd. Your board has tax included. A board bought in America with tax added is $980 aud. $665+$55 tax.

$150 dollars when you add in the volume of boards JS does that adds up quickly. From a business standpoint that is huge on a per board basis.

I hope that they can do customs out of california but probably unlikely

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Common w eps blanks. Not sure why pu density isn't listed more commonly.
Yeah, it's an interesting phenomenon. When I go to order a PU, options are usually listed as standard, light, or ultra-light, ect..... but I don't know what the actual densities are.

Often times going to order EPS, they disclose exactly what density is being used.

I like having more info.