Hydrodynamica

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I have a simster on order right now... curious to hear more feedback from those who've had one + comparisons to the classic caspers.
Hey. Just curious if you had any feedback for us on your Simster. What dims and construction did you order?

I just snagged an old clean but yellowed 5’8 x 20.85 x 2.2 simster shaped by R., off CL. Was surprised by the thinness but paddled and caught waves like it should. Only had one surf on it so far in minisim-friendly 3’ soft reef runners. Racy, flow, high lines, lots of speed, obviously. Pleasantly surprised by a couple bside snaps with that little center fin. I just sold a 5’9 quad minisim this fall cause it felt a bit too beefy, so this thinner one has me intrigued. Definitely more of a cruisey trad minisim feel than GMM2 or even CyberSim.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I saw Ryan Burch over the weekend. I introduced myself and talked about RK and Tomo a bit. I asked him about that block of foam he surfed. Turns out that was a blank from a softtop. Pretty mellow dude. It was cool running into him. :cool: :shaka:

Reactions: chilly1 and jkb

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
JKB said "dont fu#k around, get a GMM2" but there is that beautiful green Cyber Sim at XTR with the glass on fins.
Which one would you say it better for small waves? GMM2 or Cyber Sim?
Hadn't read this thread in a long time. Just as an FYI, FWIW, YMMV... Cybersim is a better groveler, IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: MathDebater

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I saw Ryan Burch over the weekend. I introduced myself and talked about RK and Tomo a bit. I asked him about that block of foam he surfed. Turns out that was a blank from a softtop. Pretty mellow dude. It was cool running into him. :cool: :shaka:
He ripped on that chunk of foam. Watched him school a bunch of B/C-Grade pros a few years back on a good day at my regular on basically a square of foam with chamfered edges and divots added with a ballpeen hammer. He is a very talented surfer.

Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Okay so since XTR is having a sale. I have a few questions for anyone that might know
How's the Mini Simmons in stock dims? It seems a little beefy according to the calculator.
Also, the GMM2....any reason it wouldn't work short and wide? I would have to get it in a 5'0 to 5'2, but 18" wide at 24-25 liters is not what I want for the conditions I would ride it in. I'm thinking more like 20" wide (I can't find stock dims for that boar anywhere)

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Okay so since XTR is having a sale. I have a few questions for anyone that might know
How's the Mini Simmons in stock dims? It seems a little beefy according to the calculator.
Also, the GMM2....any reason it wouldn't work short and wide? I would have to get it in a 5'0 to 5'2, but 18" wide at 24-25 liters is not what I want for the conditions I would ride it in. I'm thinking more like 20" wide (I can't find stock dims for that boar anywhere)
Those dims would feel like surfing a pizza box to me but YMMV. I would think even 19" wide at 5'0 would be plenty. Are you trying to get up to a certain volume #?
FWIW- My current one (which is now shorter than I prefer boars) is 5'6x20x2.5 (33L), and my previous one was 5'8x19x2.5 (32.9L). I'm over paddling tiny boars around the lineups so wish I wouldn't have sold the 5'8 to a buddy (who loved it). My next one will probably be 5'8-5'9, and something like 19 1/2 x 2 5/8.

You should reach out to RK of Hydrodynamica, either email or DM on IG. GMM2 is his DD so I'm sure he'd be able to advise you on dims. Also, they have a new Mini III model with a 3rd center fin box and a wing pulling in the tail slightly. Those felt pretty beefy in hand. MathDebater and I chatted with him at a recent event and he seems fired up to grow the HD label and produce more boars, XTR and hand-shaped PU or EPS:

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
What Oeste said. And in regards to the beefy dims comment. That is what we saw with the stonk boards at the show. Seems like they’re making them quite beefy

Reactions: Jamby

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've thought about ideal dims for this board (since my last custom felt a little small). I ordered 5'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4 and it felt a little short and wide (I know JKB is gonna get on me for this one). If i had to do it over again (which i've thought about plenty) I would do 5'2 x 17 3/4 x 2 5/16 (maybe 18 width). The tail width on the GMM2 is pretty big so you have to factor that into everything! Definitely go stringerless.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I've thought about ideal dims for this board (since my last custom felt a little small). I ordered 5'0 x 18 1/4 x 2 1/4 and it felt a little short and wide (I know JKB is gonna get on me for this one). If i had to do it over again (which i've thought about plenty) I would do 5'2 x 17 3/4 x 2 5/16 (maybe 18 width). The tail width on the GMM2 is pretty big so you have to factor that into everything! Definitely go stringerless.
the one that got away..

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
GMM2 with fin boxes set back for 2+1? (@Jamby : this one is 5-3 x 20)
View attachment 133767View attachment 133768
Yeah, he swears by twin + trailer now tho I’m surprised he swapped out the MR sides. That’s the one he had XTR make and is passing around to all the younger local rippers to demo and show the performance capability. The boar is absolutely flying under their feet!

Reactions: chilly1 and Jamby
Mar 27, 2019
Somewhere
Those dims would feel like surfing a pizza box to me but YMMV. I would think even 19" wide at 5'0 would be plenty. Are you trying to get up to a certain volume #?
FWIW- My current one (which is now shorter than I prefer boars) is 5'6x20x2.5 (33L), and my previous one was 5'8x19x2.5 (32.9L). I'm over paddling tiny boars around the lineups so wish I wouldn't have sold the 5'8 to a buddy (who loved it). My next one will probably be 5'8-5'9, and something like 19 1/2 x 2 5/8.

You should reach out to RK of Hydrodynamica, either email or DM on IG. GMM2 is his DD so I'm sure he'd be able to advise you on dims. Also, they have a new Mini III model with a 3rd center fin box and a wing pulling in the tail slightly. Those felt pretty beefy in hand. MathDebater and I chatted with him at a recent event and he seems fired up to grow the HD label and produce more boars, XTR and hand-shaped PU or EPS:
Not so much a volume thing, but more of a getting on plane quick thing, with more stability. I'm used to short wide boars. I have 3 that are similar to the GMM2, being a 5'2 Evo, 4'11 DA Coffin, and a 5'0 Solid Anomaly, but they all require a decent wave, and decent surfing on that given day. My wider shapes are almost guaranteed fun.
As for the Mini Simmons, mine are a little heavy. I might order both the GMM2 and the Simmons, but I gotta tweak the dims on both I guess

GMM2 with fin boxes set back for 2+1? (@Jamby : this one is 5-3 x 20)
I watched that last night. Might be the answer. I would probably do 5 boxes though

Reactions: oeste858

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Yeah, he swears by twin + trailer now tho I’m surprised he swapped out the MR sides. That’s the one he had XTR make and is passing around to all the younger local rippers to demo and show the performance capability. The boar is absolutely flying under their feet!
My question though is are these boxes set farther back specifically for a twin setup? I cant tell... And he's shite at answering DM's

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Currently XTR are doing a 30 year anniversary sale. They are offering 100 bucks discount. Have you ever considered, or ever been recommended, to go for something a bit longer and floatier for extra glide? Like a 5'8, for example?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
My question though is are these boxes set farther back specifically for a twin setup? I cant tell... And he's shite at answering DM's
I think that is his preferred twin + training wheel placement, rather than twin. But maybe ask Shey at XTR if he knows on that specific boar?