Hydrodynamica

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Other than the GMM, dont really hear much about them despite the Tomo partnership. Anybody have any feedback on the Cybersim or Simster? The Simster (pictured) has always been on my short list for years , but something always jumps ahead come custom time...They seem to translate more to long point breaks vs. NJ beach breaks?

1619051846039.png

Reactions: j_mac and oeste858

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I actually saw a guy ripping at one my local reefs a while back. It was my first time seeing one in the wild besides RK. It looked fun, it was covering a lot of ground fast. The speed was noticable.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
same as Steve, I’ve gone through phases when I almost pulled the trigger on a CS, but another design I wanted to try always jumped in front of it on the wishlist. I love the GMM2, so I asked RK about the difference between the GMM2 and CyberSim (the 2 tomo designs) and IIRC I think he said the GMM is more HP while the CS was more like traditional dual fin minisim. I still want to try a CS- and wonder if XTR would do the evo channel on one like the GMM2.

Never handled CS or Simster but from pics, simster seems to have much smaller trailer fin to go with those wings. I bet both would be fun, but I do love tomos. I've also seen a few quad simsters around that looked fun as well.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I saw the Cybersim being used in beachbreak the other day, it was working very, very well.

I'm not totally sure how to size them.

I'd be looking into that one that is on sale except I'm already picking a board tomorrow despite not being able to surf for what seems like the forseeable future.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Been a longtime RK/Hydrodynamica devotee.

Golden Mean Machine: I have the second iteration (channels in the tail) and it's literally a Swiss Army Knife. The true daily driver of my quiver, never worried about wave size with this puppy it will handle it all. I can put any set of fins (twin, tri, quad) in and while the ride will change the board just goes.

Cyber Sim: Simmons/Tomo hi performance mashup. I felt it was the heir to the Tomo Nano, hi performance but more paddle power.

Simster: Mush machine, I got a Bauguess when he split from RK. It was magic, such a fun board in waves up to shoulder high, above that it went too fast. This board kicked off my fascination with grovellers and it's one board I wish I never sold.

Casper/Mini Simmons: I was lent one of the originals and it was a trip to ride. It was big, fast and the half moon keels could turn surprisingly well. It was unpredictable though, one second you'd be in total control, but if the next section would have any steepness it would just squirt out from beneath your feet. RK is a wizard to make the original Casper look so good.

White Pony: The first Hydrodynamica shape I purchased, it was from Mabile. I couldn't stomach the $1,000 board price from Hydrodynamica and Larmo was quietly (but approvingly) making White Pony's under his label. The Pony is a bit more refined than the original Mini Simmons, more predictable and closer to the ride you'd get on Larmo's keels. Larmo recommended I get it with standard keels but I was set on the half moons.

All these shapes had a common sizing recommendation that Tomo made to me when I ordered my first board: "Chin height."

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

Golden Mean Machine: I have the second iteration (channels in the tail) and it's literally a Swiss Army Knife. The true daily driver of my quiver, never worried about wave size with this puppy it will handle it all. I can put any set of fins (twin, tri, quad) in and while the ride will change the board just goes.

Cyber Sim: Simmons/Tomo hi performance mashup. I felt it was the heir to the Tomo Nano, hi performance but more paddle power.

Simster: Mush machine, I got a Bauguess when he split from RK. It was magic, such a fun board in waves up to shoulder high, above that it went too fast. This board kicked off my fascination with grovellers and it's one board I wish I never sold.

Casper/Mini Simmons: I was lent one of the originals and it was a trip to ride. It was big, fast and the half moon keels could turn surprisingly well. It was unpredictable though, one second you'd be in total control, but if the next section would have any steepness it would just squirt out from beneath your feet. RK is a wizard to make the original Casper look so good.

White Pony: The first Hydrodynamica shape I purchased, it was from Mabile. I couldn't stomach the $1,000 board price from Hydrodynamica and Larmo was quietly (but approvingly) making White Pony's under his label. The Pony is a bit more refined than the original Mini Simmons, more predictable and closer to the ride you'd get on Larmo's keels. Larmo recommended I get it with standard keels but I was set on the half moons.

All these shapes had a common sizing recommendation that Tomo made to me when I ordered my first board: "Chin height."
Yeah man, really good synopsis!

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019

i picked up a larmo wp off craigs several months back. guess i knew/didnt know the hydrodynamica connection.

its chin height with ultra foiled out ply keels. havent necessarily connected with it. always leaves me thinking it wants not a beach break and would get up and go better if it lost the wide swallow and had all the planing surface that the minisim square tail has to offer.

Reactions: grendel95

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

So does that mean that on sale Cybersim sounds sized right for a guy who is 5'8 and rides around 24L shortboards?

:oops:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
It's my size, same ish size casa, my hold back was the glass ons
I am very much a traditional board guy like yourself but I really want to try one of these after seeing JKB slapping some snaps on his GMM2

Reactions: jkb

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I've seen him respond in the comments of his posts on IG regarding board questions.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Had a few iterations from RK and Joe Bauguess when the Hydrodynamica movement was in its infancy.
4DC24D14-F2E7-4EC1-B36F-96531A2C6013.jpeg29DF4990-6C28-4006-854D-559F60F12496.jpegC5240A6B-9E34-4636-A6F6-70928D30AE06.jpeg1E9CB5BA-1464-40B2-948B-BB6E3612AC7D.jpeg3BB0501E-7E26-4C3A-9B33-AC8867F3DE02.jpeg
I absolutely loved the boards Joe was doing for them, especially the Simster and it had years since I had a one in my quiver. So with Joe no longer around, I hit up Hank Warner to shape me a couple. I remember his versions when RK had a few other shapers doing them and Hank’s were the closest to Joe’s.
Outside of a longboard, at 5’3 & 5’5, these are the ultimate grovel, cheater, crowd control boards I have, they pack LOTS of volume. Also getting Justin to laminate them for me was icing on the cake
E8EF9A57-CE71-45BE-8200-7642D7F73925.jpeg0281EDCF-C51F-4E44-AA4E-20378BD46528.jpegB4A428F7-B489-409A-9A6E-2812F211355D.jpegAA31C9B9-43C2-49E6-B2C8-84D67BB0F5BC.jpeg

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
@waxurDyl so how did the simster (and the new HW versions) actually surf?
How much of the planing speed of the dual fin is given up for the control of a third trailer fin?
I had a 5’3 HW with the half moon fins and it was just too wide to get on rail easily. Fun for spinners but real squirrelly- and I like loose boards. Now I have a 5’9 Mitsven quad which is fantastic, almost a log alternative, but still easy to carve and whip around. Will have to try a CyberSim or Simster someday

BTW, it's great how RK says to contact him for help ordering and when you contact him via DM he never replies.
Yeah, I don’t think it’s really a business for him, just a hobby. Lots of people don’t check DMs on social. You might also try an email through the website. I think his wife might get those.

Last edited:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
@waxurDyl so how did the simster (and the new HW versions) actually surf?
How much of the planing speed of the dual fin is given up for the control of a third trailer fin?
Having the center fin and wing helps somewhat cut down on the slidey-ness. The OG Mini Simmons was good at trimming fast along the wave face. The Simster is easier to turn but by no means are you doing roundhouse cutbacks like a thruster. This is the set up I’ve settled on to surf it the way I want. Still get lots of immediate planing but it‘s noticeably more nimble in beach breaks with S-Wings and the large AM2 as a trailer
6E9DCCB9-78F3-4B02-82E8-3DA25EDA8947.jpeg44488D25-99BA-4F4A-B519-DC5AC4606E7B.jpeg

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

JKB said "dont fu#k around, get a GMM2" but there is that beautiful green Cyber Sim at XTR with the glass on fins.
Which one would you say it better for small waves? GMM2 or Cyber Sim?

Reactions: JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I think most people have said it's the GMMs but that's probably splitting hairs and depends on the volume of the specific board.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
JKB said "dont fu#k around, get a GMM2" but there is that beautiful green Cyber Sim at XTR with the glass on fins.
Which one would you say it better for small waves? GMM2 or Cyber Sim?
Even for the erBB, you might be overthinking this decision that you've been considering a GMM for at least a couple years now! :poke:
GMM2 would probably be more HP and versatile. CS has better aesthetics IMO. You can see video of both being surfed a lot if you go back through HD's insta. RK used to ride CS most days a couple years ago, now been on GMM2 for last few months. He has been ripping on it lately.