How much sh!t do you put up with to avoid being the asshole of the neighborhood?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
On my little street there is only one homeowner who has been there longer than me. Been there about 30 years. The street is 50/50 mix year round residents and vacation homes. We've never had a parking issue in all those years until about a year and a half ago thanks to new construction and now four of the houses on the street are being used as airBnBs. I'm one of only two remaining original properties on the street that hasn't been subdivided so in front of my house is where people who generate more cars than they have parking want to park. Now we have a parking nightmare during the tourist season and shoulder weekends that never existed before. This summer my strategy was to spread out my cars in front of my own house and leave my driveway empty in case one of us has to go somewhere. Does that make me an asshole?

• Love
Reactions: PJ

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Everybody in my neighborhood gets along, zero conflicts in 24 years that I am aware of. But then again we mostly ignore each other too.
Hard for us to ignore 24-7 partying til 4am 7 days a week and throwing beer bottles into our yard. Illegal bottle rockets year round too! M80’s and probably some guns shooting in the air on the 4th and slamming on our door cursing at us when they are high on drugs even more fml

Last edited:

Witchipoo

Michael Peterson status
Jun 16, 2010
East of Malibu
I'm the asshole on my block but I'm also the one people come to for help, so there's that.
Basically I'm the only one who will confront people for having parties at 2am, etc. People thank me for doing it, but they make sure no one sees. :foreheadslap:

It's actually gotten a lot quieter since the pandemic, when all the illegal Airbnbs got chased out. That was a nightmare. I learned a lot of dirty tricks during that time.:D

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
we have the neighbors from hell behind us. currently heading to mediation.

nuts what some people think they can get away with. prly the only time i wish we had an hoa since they would have a lien on their house for all the sh$t they put us all through
Everyone in my neighborhood helps each other out except for the entitled Morans behind me and their chitty drug addict kids
Do tell

:porcorn:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
When we moved into Cardiff in the 1980s my wife and a neighbor decided it would be “fun” to host a neighborhood block party (the paved alley behind our residences was the perfect location). They made invitations and walked the 2100 block stuffing the invites in mail boxes; BYOB and a ‘food to share.’ With the exception of the Covid scare the gatherings have been annual and well received. Realtors even use the ‘block party’ in their spiel with potential buyers as ownerships change. Have to say tyhe gatherings have always been fun. One neighbor brings his equipment, guitars and pianist to provide live music.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
On my little street there is only one homeowner who has been there longer than me. Been there about 30 years. The street is 50/50 mix year round residents and vacation homes. We've never had a parking issue in all those years until about a year and a half ago thanks to new construction and now four of the houses on the street are being used as airBnBs. I'm one of only two remaining original properties on the street that hasn't been subdivided so in front of my house is where people who generate more cars than they have parking want to park. Now we have a parking nightmare during the tourist season and shoulder weekends that never existed before. This summer my strategy was to spread out my cars in front of my own house and leave my driveway empty in case one of us has to go somewhere. Does that make me an asshole?
Some of my neighbors park defensively and some others down the block go so far as to cone off the street parking in front of their houses which I find kinda dickish. Parking here isn’t terrible but we do live close enough to LAX that I’ll see people park on our street and Uber from here to the airport. For sh!t like that I’d totally sign on for permit parking. But due to catalytic converter theft city wide I always park in my driveway unless I’m actively doing yard work and don’t really care about people parking in front of my house as long as they don’t park like ducks or leave their cars there for an extended stretch of time:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
It's actually gotten a lot quieter since the pandemic, when all the illegal Airbnbs got chased out. That was a nightmare. I learned a lot of dirty tricks during that time.:D
The worst of the airBnBs on my street is owned by one of our city councilmen. Motherfooker. Senior week he had about 15 kids staying in that house partying, being loud til all hours and setting off fireworks in the street at midnight. It was his renters that made me resort to my parking strategy above when they'd be out there slamming car doors and being loud in the middle of the night. Enough of that. Park in front of somebody else's house.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
When we moved into Cardiff in the 1980s my wife and a neighbor decided it would be “fun” to host a neighborhood block party (the paved alley behind our residences was the perfect location). They made invitations and walked the 2100 block stuffing the invites in mail boxes; BYOB and a ‘food to share.’ With the exception of the Covid scare the gatherings have been annual and well received. Realtors even use the ‘block party’ in their spiel with potential buyers as ownerships change. Have to say tyhe gatherings have always been fun. One neighbor brings his equipment, guitars and pianist to provide live music.
My block where I grew up used to have a neighborhood easter egg hunt/block party every year that my father and a couple other neighbors organized. Easter egg hunt for the kids followed by a pot-luck and the parents getting shitface drunk while we did god knows what. But it was a tight knit community for decades. Now I think there's only one original family left on the block and nobody talks to each other. It's sad. I think those kinda social events help bring communities together.

Reactions: john4surf

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Moving to a new neighborhood is like going to prison. You have to quickly establish dominance. Find the neighborhood watch captain and p!ss on his ring doorbell. Everyone will know not to mess with you after that, if they don't burn your house down.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Had a seasonal neighbor try to claim "Adverse Possession" of 3 feet across my one property line in an attempt to block me from fencing in my back yard about 10 years ago. No small matter in a neighborhood where a 60 x 60 lot can now be worth a million $. They tore down the existing house to build a new one on the lot and then one day during construction they removed an existing hedge row thinking it was their hedge row to remove without asking thinking it would make their tiny yard bigger. (They were building to the maximum allowable lot coverage) In reality it was my hedge row. Came home from work and their contractor was finishing up the job. WTF!!!! I stayed calm and decided to put up a vinyl fence. I had to have something to keep my dog in. They took it too far and it ended up costing them a lot of money. Best part is when they made it official in a court filing claiming "Adverse Possession" to try to block me from installing the fence after they had harrassed us, our surveyor and the fence installer, my title insurance kicked in and provided a free lawyer to deal with the matter. The lawyer the title insurance company gave me was a real hardass SOB and ran them through the ringer. All told the matter probably cost these idiots between $15 and $20k. In the end, their back yard was still tiny and mine got quite a bit bigger thanks to the 60-foot long hedge row of 6' diameter forsythias being gone.
been there with a former neighbor (im still here, they gone)

except being rural af it was about fence lines and grazing and a few acres. i tried being the "good" neighbor brought beers over and offered to lease it to them so they could continue grazing their
sheep. got a "fu thats our property" for my trouble.

well year and half, two surveys suits counter suits mediation and a lot line adjustment later they are out $30k with a net loss of 7 acres.

i took lno pleasure in it tho the extra sq footage is nice. once settled they sold out and bailed on the court order for them to move their fence.

new (18 years now) neighbors more better. we worked out the proper line and the woman part is even kinda hot. so a win i guess

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
What would they say about you?
To my face or behind my back? I give zerofucks either way. Both are ratfuckers that cheat everyone they come in contact with. Everyone. It’s in their nature. One got me good, the other got shutdown on first contact. Both know that I have long time friends way above their pay grade in the asshole category. Both have had to take a trip out of the area until they could reconcile a misunderstanding. Some of those trips would be in the kidnapping for ransom category. There was another one but he got disappeared last year.

On the other hand, we’re close to our two full time neighbors and especially the family with the restaurant on the beach. Between us nobody ever goes without in a time of need.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I'm the asshole, or I was the asshole. Then people stopped parking in my parking spot.

I still can get assholish in response to fire pit retardation. Generally involves a trash fire when it's 65 degrees out. Solutions include dumping a bait bucket of water on the festivities, or just bailing and letting them enjoy the piercing shriek of my smoke alarm.

• Haha
Reactions: Woke AF

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
been there with a former neighbor (im still here, they gone)

except being rural af it was about fence lines and grazing and a few acres. i tried being the "good" neighbor brought beers over and offered to lease it to them so they could continue grazing their
sheep. got a "fu thats our property" for my trouble.

well year and half, two surveys suits counter suits mediation and a lot line adjustment later they are out $30k with a net loss of 7 acres.

i took lno pleasure in it tho the extra sq footage is nice. once settled they sold out and bailed on the court order for them to move their fence.

new (18 years now) neighbors more better. we worked out the proper line and the woman part is even kinda hot. so a win i guess
I have a block wall on three sides of my place thats an easement. I'm pretty sure it's mine because all three sides are the same. I have no idea where the actual property line is but I also don't really care unless my neighbor tries to do something stupid which I don't really see happening since most of them have been there 20+yrs. As far as I'm concerned the wall is the line until someone says otherwise. I have no intention of replacing it or anything. My garage wall is also an easement with my neighbor on my Southside. It's right on what I believe is the line. It needs a new footing poured on that side to fix some leaks and some rot at ground level. I don't have the money to do it at the moment but already talked to my neighbor about it because it's going to have to happen on her side. She was super cool and laid back about it and just said something along the lines of "whatever you need, just let me know when so I can secure my Rottweilers and they don't eat your workers." :roflmao:

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
I generally get along with the neighbors, but the whole “put the dog sh!t in a bag and leave it somewhere” is extremely annoying. At least take it with you.

Further, even if you pick it up, I don’t want your dog shitting in my yard since I might want to… wax my surfboard right there for instance, and I’d have no way of knowing.

Where do you draw the line for yard shitting? Can I sh!t in your yard? I mean don’t worry, I’ll put it in a bag when I’m done. :toilet: :monkey:

This needs it's own thread.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Neighbor just complained about my dogs dogging uder the fence and pushing dirt and rocks into her yard and the overall barking when she goes outside.

Apologized and shored up the bottom of the fence so they won't do the fence thing any more.

Will try to control the barking but it's tough.

I want to be a good neighbor but I think she's being a little too whiny about it. I don't want to sour the relationship so we will try.

What's funny is she's gotta be about 90 or so and will only talk to me. She won't deal with my wife at all. Not sure if she's still stuck in the 50's and has to talk to the man of the household or the fact that my wife is brown. Not sure lol.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
When we moved into our current place, the lady behind us was a real piece of work. She was a divorcee trying everything she could to hold onto her place. She Air BnB'd the crap out of it, rented her driveway and parking area to van lifers, sold weed and coke, etc.... There were people coming and going non-stop. If that wasn't bad enough, she would leave her yappy little dog outside all day barking no-stop. The other neighbors were sick of it too but she'd been there a long time and grew up down the street so they tolerated it. But because we shared a fence, we took the brunt of the non-stop yapping. Everyday, we would have to call her and ask her to bring her dog in so we could have some quiet. We even resorted to placing our JBL on the fence a with a sound track of police dogs barking on full volume one afternoon.
When she finally sold and moved out, all the neighbors welcomed the new owners with a party. It's been great ever since. It's a great thing to have good neighbors. I'll probably have a beer with one tonight as we watch the sunset.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Cbag neighbor who I WAS friendly with put up an illegal 11ft fence without getting a permit and sent code enforcement officials over to cite the neighbors behind her for his ladder leaning up against his shed and she could see the last 3 feet of it from her side. The code enforcer cited her for the illegal fence and made her cut it down to 7ft (cost her additional $$$) but the code enforcer then also noticed my unpermitted 3ft security/privacy lattice addition to the top of my legal fence that was there unnoticed and minding it's own business for 15 years!!! Had to take it down and I'm still so fucking pissed 4 years later. She never apologized....So, I'll sometimes for no reason lean my ladder up against a palm tree on my side so she can see it while floating in her pool. She's tried to knock it over from her side but I've got it strapped into place pretty good and it's the only passive aggressive way I can retaliate against her without smashing her face in. She's such a Karen that she yells at every car that drives slowly past our house in the most cringy voice ever "Sllooooowww down"!! SHUT THE FCUK UP I scream back....I'll even only trim the palm frons on my side of the fence and leave the big berries shoots dangle over her side which make her pool dirty and she can't reach them to cut them down...what a cbag