How much sh!t do you put up with to avoid being the asshole of the neighborhood?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
been there with a former neighbor (im still here, they gone)

except being rural af it was about fence lines and grazing and a few acres. i tried being the "good" neighbor brought beers over and offered to lease it to them so they could continue grazing their
sheep. got a "fu thats our property" for my trouble.

well year and half, two surveys suits counter suits mediation and a lot line adjustment later they are out $30k with a net loss of 7 acres.

i took lno pleasure in it tho the extra sq footage is nice. once settled they sold out and bailed on the court order for them to move their fence.

new (18 years now) neighbors more better. we worked out the proper line and the woman part is even kinda hot. so a win i guess
A neighbor of my friend's hunting property stole a bunch of land which my friend verified through a survey. We didn't see the guy in awhile so we just used GPS and moved the fence back where it should be. The neighbor was a real piece of work - pointed a gun at another friend, made a bunch of idle threats, etc. These are the types of people who don't get help during fires.

Reactions: Chocki

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
all the neighbors around me are super cool. i go surfing with the one across the street and my next door neighbors kids play with my kid. but there's always one bad one. the one behind me is politically connected hence the entitlement. u would figure someone on the public payroll in a high ranking position would be a better neighbor and citizen but no. their kid is in rehab and i believe just got out and is partying again...

wish i had el ogro clout and backup. next house will have an hoa for sure and i'll be on the board so this bs never happens again.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
When we moved into our place, invited households from 3 houses up the street, 3 houses down the street, and the 6 directly opposite (corner home stopped us from having 7 homes across the street).

We supplied food and beverages.

Since we had practically zero household stuff, other than the bed, dresser and the same fold-out sofa Sweetie-pie had at university, nothing was stolen. [If you're gonna have a housewarming party with strangers, do it quick, before you have stuff to break. Makes it easy to clean up too, and first impressions last....for better or for worse.]

Oddest neighbor was the guy up the street who did animation for a living....partway through the afternoon as I was talking with friends, he comes up to me and says something like, "Hey this is pretty good party.....I'm going to go and get the bottle of snake wine. Be right back."

And he did return with a bottle with a snake in it.

"Its supposed to be an aphrodisiac." (I cannot verify that.)

Old lady across the street, drank half a bottle of decent Hennessey. What was wrong the keg of beer, Mary?

Retired cop says something like: You could be liable if anyone drives home drunk... Just kidding, nice to meet you. Is that a Jap bike I saw under the tarp?

Chandra got looped and got dragged out by his spouse after talking to one of the sexy lesbians (she loves to lead men on).

Anyway, after years of leaving my house in the morning and returning in the evening, I've fooled everyone into thinking I am a responsible adult. As such, I've been invited to a wake and a baptism and a quinceañera, various parties, and asked to dog/cat/house sit while the homeowners are gone.

PS
I've raised the ire of some relatives/friends of the neighbors due to them hem blocking my driveway, stealing my lemons, not cleaning up after their dog. One neighbor said he thought the note I left on his brother-in-laws truck was hilarious and said I should have had it towed.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
all the neighbors around me are super cool. i go surfing with the one across the street and my next door neighbors kids play with my kid. but there's always one bad one. the one behind me is politically connected hence the entitlement. u would figure someone on the public payroll in a high ranking position would be a better neighbor and citizen but no. their kid is in rehab and i believe just got out and is partying again...

wish i had el ogro clout and backup. next house will have an hoa for sure and i'll be on the board so this bs never happens again.
I know a few people in town that live/have lived in places with an hoa. In Spanish that translates to pita. Muchas Karinas.

Of 8 exterior doors between the two houses all are screen doors. The main rooms are also screened. The proverbial glass house. We’ve never had a a single incident of anything missing, any threat whatsoever.

Out of 30+ new land owners only two actually live here. Of what has been constructed, all but the two that live here on the hill the rest built for short term rentals. Those properties on the ocean side of the road to the beach are limited to building a permanent (brick and mortar) storage room and a bathroom. No brick and mortar residence. The bathrooms, all on septic on a sand bar, would have a hard time if the authorities came down on them. 100k plus for a parking place.

I have to admit that others seeing that we could do it when there was nobody else living here gave them the idea that they could too. They didn’t realize that we were doing it totally off the grid, minimum investment and lots of homespun labor, they have money to throw at any problem, and figured if those assholes can do it they could pay their way through any inconvenience. Just pay. It’s been painful watching a couple of them getting repeatedly anally violated but with the vast majority, it warms an old man’s heart to watch them get rectally torn up. Over and over.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ and Havoc

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I should also say that we have two very close friends and their kids who lived down the block before we moved in. They’re not our direct neighbors but when we put the offer in we asked them up front if it would be weird if we moved onto their block. They said of course not. So far it’s been nothing but great. We’ve maintained decent boundaries but are always there to cover eachother when we need it. I’ll watch their kids when they’re in a pinch or water their plants, etc. and they walk our dog when we need it. And impromptu bottles of wine are frequently consumed between our houses whenever there’s nothing going on. For the most part I try to be friendly with my neighbors but not too close but this is different since we already had a close friendship.

Reactions: npsp and keenfish

Havoc

May 23, 2016
btw, as far as HOA goes, if u get someone on the board that hates u ur fked. buddy of mine got an enemy on the board and he would get written up for his plants being 1 inch over his fence lmfao. all the while, the guy on the board broke tons of HOA rules but didn't write himself up :roflmao:

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I've lived in the same place 9 years and do not know anyone. I like it that way.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I get along great with the neighbors
except one guy who is a loud mouthed douchebag
a bunch of years ago he was talking to me and referred to another neighbor as “that n***** loving faggot”
since then I’ve just ignored the loudmouth douchebag
And it seems to be working fine

• Wow
Reactions: $kully

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
im in an apartment building and everyones pretty chill and quiet.

that said - im in our gym every am at 5. usually by myself in the last 3 years ive been at this spot. Now cute little 20 something year old comes in at the same time.

she doesnt wear headphones and blasts workout videos like legit people screaming to go go go/faster faster faster/ coupled with obnoxious over the top pop music and shes a beast - like legit on the treadmill going faster than i thought it could go.

Im over here - on e treadmill away with over the ear headphones on and either with music or a show, and i can barely hear what im trying to listen to even if i crank it. after a couple months of giving her the stink eye/ and not happy body language i finally pulled down my headphones last week and asked her politely if she could turn it down because i couldnt hear my own sh!t, and mentioned - ya know everyone in here wears headphones. she turned it down 1 notch and said is this ok? I looked at her and shook my head no. she moved over to the bikes and keot it the same volume.

Tommorow if I simply take my headphones off when she shows up and use the speaker on my phone to prove a point, am I an asshole? The last thing i want is confrontation with a girl young enough to be my daughter but this is driving me nuts. If she mentions anything - i want to just look at her and be like...see? or say so mething snide like - oh - i thought we were sharing. i dunno - i gotta work out in this gym every day. dont want it to be awkward for anyone involved.

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

that said - im in our gym every am at 5. usually by myself in the last 3 years ive been at this spot. Now cute little 20 something year old comes in at the same time.

she doesnt wear headphones and blasts workout videos like legit people screaming to go go go/faster faster faster/ coupled with obnoxious over the top pop music and shes a beast - like legit on the treadmill going faster than i thought it could go.

Im over here - on e treadmill away with over the ear headphones on and either with music or a show, and i can barely hear what im trying to listen to even if i crank it. after a couple months of giving her the stink eye/ and not happy body language i finally pulled down my headphones last week and asked her politely if she could turn it down because i couldnt hear my own sh!t, and mentioned - ya know everyone in here wears headphones. she turned it down 1 notch and said is this ok? I looked at her and shook my head no. she moved over to the bikes and keot it the same volume.

Tommorow if I simply take my headphones off when she shows up and use the speaker on my phone to prove a point, am I an asshole? The last thing i want is confrontation with a girl young enough to be my daughter but this is driving me nuts. If she mentions anything - i want to just look at her and be like...see? or say so mething snide like - oh - i thought we were sharing. i dunno - i gotta work out in this gym every day. dont want it to be awkward for anyone involved.
Four words: Black Sabbath Full Blast.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

You failed to establish dominance bro. I’d have switched to wearing some wicked short Umbros so my dong was on full display and then tried to chat her up at every available opp. Bro you’re either getting laid or gonna go back to having the place to yourself depending on game and or package size.

Accordingly, I’ve found the past of least resistance to no one hassling my buzz is to just be the Danzig of the neighborhood.
1693363079976.jpeg

1693362734280.jpeg

1693363136635.jpeg

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Mostly good neighbors with kids and we all have block parties every so often, everyone trick or treats together, etc.

there are a few I haven’t quite figured out yet. One of them shares a fence with me. We keep it neighborly just fine but they‘ll occasionally find the need to use their gas leaf blower in the middle of a backyard party.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

Havoc

May 23, 2016
You failed to establish dominance bro. I’d have switched to wearing some wicked short Umbros so my dong was on full display and then tried to chat her up at every available opp. Bro you’re either getting laid or gonna go back to having the place to yourself depending on game and or package size.

Accordingly, I’ve found the past of least resistance to no one hassling my buzz is to just be the Danzig of the neighborhood.
View attachment 161651

View attachment 161650

View attachment 161652
why does every misfits song start with “Whoa-oh-oh Whoa-oh-oh Whoa-oh-oh”?

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
why does every misfits song start with “Whoa-oh-oh Whoa-oh-oh Whoa-oh-oh”?
No clue bro.
Tbh I’m only a fan of his solo stuff along with his subsequent 90s wicked jacked persona and then as a former LA resident his mundane existence living in the spooky Los Feliz house, and it’s legendary pile of bricks.

1693366899157.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Belchfire1

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
When we moved into our place, invited households from 3 houses up the street, 3 houses down the street, and the 6 directly opposite (corner home stopped us from having 7 homes across the street).

We supplied food and beverages.

Since we had practically zero household stuff, other than the bed, dresser and the same fold-out sofa Sweetie-pie had at university, nothing was stolen.

Oddest neighbor was the guy up the street who did animation for a living....partway through the afternoon as I was talking with friends, he comes up to me and says something like, "Hey this is pretty good party.....I'm going to go and get the bottle of snake wine. Be right back."

And he did return with a bottle with a snake in it.

"Its supposed to be an aphrodisiac." (I cannot verify that.)

Old lady across the street, drank half a bottle of decent Hennessey. What was wrong the keg of beer, Mary?

Retired cop says something like: You could be liable if anyone drives home drunk... Just kidding, nice to meet you. Is that a Jap bike I saw under the tarp?

Chandra got looped and got dragged out by his spouse after talking to one of the sexy lesbians (she loves to lead men on).

Anyway, after years of leaving my house in the morning and returning in the evening, I've fool everyone into thinking I am a responsible adult. As such, I've been invited to a wake and a baptism and a quinceañera, various parties, and asked to dog/cat/house sit while the homeowners are gone.

PS
I've raised the ire of some relatives/friends of the neighbors due to them hem blocking my driveway, stealing my lemons, not cleaning up after their dog. One neighbor said he thought the note I left on his brother-in-laws truck was hilarious and said I should have had it towed.
So.... *Was* it a Jap bike, and if so, what was it?