How much sh!t do you put up with to avoid being the asshole of the neighborhood?

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
Last night I got into it with people who just moved to my neighborhood.

I live on a cul de sac. There's 12 houses. Nothing else. No pass through to a beach. Nothing. The end of the street is the ocean. There is no public ocean access. There's no beach. There's not even sidewalks. There is no reason to be walking down the street unless you live there. It is a public road.

For the past month, this recently transplanted couple has been walking their two dogs down our street at night a couple times per week. Usually between 8 and 9 P.M. They walk in front of my house and let their dogs sniff around my yard and take their time. My two dogs go fucking crazy every time. I have a giant picture window and obviously my dogs don't like it when two dogs are standing in their yard. I let it go at first and figured they would reconsider after the first or second time.

Last night they come strolling down the lane when I'm trying to go to sleep. I had a long day at work and just returned from the mainland so I was trying to go to bed early. My dogs freak out and I walk to the window to see what's up and the guy is just standing there with his wife and dogs when my dogs bark wildly. I finally had enough and go out to confront him.

I asked him why he felt the need to walk down the street and wake up my family every couple nights. I told him that you woke up my kids multiple times now. Why do you need to walk down here? Would you like it if I walked in front of your house and woke up your family?

Response:

Wife: "This a public street?"
Husband: "I'm going to walk down it everyday. You can't tell us we can't be here"

No apology. No "sorry, we can figure something out". Nothing. Just self absorbed "me, me, me, me" mentality and that they don't have to be considerate of their neighbors or people they live around. My 90 year old neighbor's dogs wake her up when people walk down the street at odd hours. But, fuck her right? It's their right to be on the street with their dogs.

I got pissed at their response, exchanged some words, and left.

People of the Erbb, am I being an unreasonable dick? I understand it is a public road. I just hate how people walk down at weird hours and wake everyone else up. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. From my point of view, some people, especially dog people, have no fucking decency or consideration of others. Just like the dumbasses who bring their dogs on airplanes and in home depot. Or the people who leave bags of dog sh!t on the side or the road and trails. I hate people.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006

I live on a cul de sac. There's 12 houses. Nothing else. No pass through to a beach. Nothing. The end of the street is the ocean. There is no public ocean access. There's no beach. There's not even sidewalks. There is no reason to be walking down the street unless you live there. It is a public road.

For the past month, this recently transplanted couple has been walking their two dogs down our street at night a couple times per week. Usually between 8 and 9 P.M. They walk in front of my house and let their dogs sniff around my yard and take their time. My two dogs go fucking crazy every time. I have a giant picture window and obviously my dogs don't like it when two dogs are standing in their yard. I let it go at first and figured they would reconsider after the first or second time.

Last night they come strolling down the lane when I'm trying to go to sleep. I had a long day at work and just returned from the mainland so I was trying to go to bed early. My dogs freak out and I walk to the window to see what's up and the guy is just standing there with his wife and dogs when my dogs bark wildly. I finally had enough and go out to confront him.

I asked him why he felt the need to walk down the street and wake up my family every couple nights. I told him that you woke up my kids multiple times now. Why do you need to walk down here? Would you like it if I walked in front of your house and woke up your family?

Response:

Husband: "I'm going to walk down it everyday. You can't tell us we can't be here"

No apology. No "sorry, we can figure something out". Nothing. Just self absorbed "me, me, me, me" mentality and that they don't have to be considerate of their neighbors or people they live around. My 90 year old neighbor's dogs wake her up when people walk down the street at odd hours. But, fuck her right? It's their right to be on the street with their dogs.

People of the Erbb, am I being an unreasonable dick? I understand it is a public road. I just hate how people walk down at weird hours and wake everyone else up. Just because you can doesn't mean you should. From my point of view, some people, especially dog people, have no fucking decency or consideration of others. Just like the dumbasses who bring their dogs on airplanes and in home depot. Or the people who leave bags of dog sh!t on the side or the road and trails. I hate people.
Didn't @Muscles post a similar story a few years ago? Like, really, really similar?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
So.... *Was* it a Jap bike, and if so, what was it?
1983 Suzuki GS 750E

Been replaced by 2005 Suzuki DL 650.

At the time he was SFPD motorcycle cop (born and raised in SF), now retired. Now a days, him and bunch of ( likely fellow SFPD) retirees go for rides on the weekends. Am glad the USA made bikes they all ride still have factory mufflers.

He is a salty old f*ck ....when there was a shootout down the street a block away, Sweetie-pie looks out the window, sees him jogging towards the fracas, and flatly says, "Guess who's headed towards it with a pistol in his hand?" I didn't even have to guess.

PS

I think sometimes when people use taboo language they are testing you.
His mild racism seems to extend to everyone, perhaps moreso towards his fellow Americans of Spanish descent.

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Not sure if I am the asshole neighbor on our street. But one day when my neighbors illegal bar on stilts that used to rest against our property line fence went up in flames. I woke up at 7am thinking, man it's hot, I better open a window... turns out I almost burnt my hand just touching the frame. Went outside and there's a 5 meter (15-18 feet) tall blaze going with explosions and everything. The neighborhood kids were up on the street watching it burn. When they saw me with the hose wetting down my side of the fence, they asked permission to help, I said are you crazy? GET IN HERE!!! And they jumped into action grabbing buckets and creating a line to the fence to wet down my side so the fire wouldn't come into my property. As I was hosing off the fence, I saw my neighbor standing there, head in hands, in tears. I asked one of the kids why they weren't helping him, they immediately responded in unison, "he's English, and everyone knows he's the town asshole!".

So, I guess I have the distinct privilege of have not the street asshole, but the town asshole as our next door neighbor.

:monkey::roflmao::shameonyou:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
1983 Suzuki GS 750E

Been replaced by 2005 Suzuki DL 650.

At the time he was SFPD motorcycle cop (born and raised in SF), now retired. Now a days, him and bunch of ( likely fellow SFPD) retirees go for rides on the weekends. Am glad the USA made bikes they all ride still have factory mufflers.

He is a salty old f*ck ....when there was a shootout down the street a block away, Sweetie-pie looks out the window, sees him jogging towards the fracas, and flatly says, "Guess who's headed towards it with a pistol in his hand?" I didn't even have to guess.

PS

His mild racism seems to extend to everyone, perhaps moreso towards his fellow Americans of Spanish descent.
I was in Vietnam having dinner with my friend and his wife and the wife's friend who was from Costa Mesa.

It was so weird to be in Hanoi eating dinner with someone who was where I was from.

Earlier that day I had been menaced by a retarded kid on the street.

And there is this idea if you break eye contact, they will leave you alone.

So I did this and it did not stop the kid. He kept coming after me for money. I ended up running away.

Begging is really unusual in VN when I was there.

Anyway I tell the story because I think it's funny because I tried the strategy and it didn't work at all.

At the dinner table, everyone got quiet.

The woman from OC who was a lesbian, totally froze me out. It was weird.

I guess she didn't like that I called the mentally retarded kid retarded.

This was 15 years ago. And retarded wasn't as taboo as it is now for most. I don't think it was enough of an infraction for her to react the way she did.

When I realized what was happening, it was super awkward. I didn't know what to do so I started flirting with her cute VN girl friend sitting next to me.

After dinner, my friend was like, "Nice going."

I was like, "What? I was telling story! The kid was retarded. I'm retarded!"

But there is no coming back from that.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Response:

Honestly it’s up to you to manage your dogs and how they react to stimulus. If you don’t like that they react to people passing in front of your house on public roads put up a fence, plant some tall hedges or hang some better curtains in your window. Or make them teachable moments for your dogs and train them not to react if it bothers you. Or to at least stand down once you give them the command. It’s not the job of the public to tip toe around your dogs on public streets. And trust me I get it. In our old condo our unit was directly across from the bank of mailboxes that covered something like 60 units. Every day from around 4-7pm there’d be a steady flow of people coming home from work and checking their mail. Sometimes people would hang out there and open their mail and read it in front of our dining room window with my dog going fucking bonkers. It was really fucking annoying. But it’s a public common area where they’re allowed to be and my dog is my problem. Yes I wish they’d be more cognizant of the dog losing its mind on the other side of the window just a few feet behind them. Yes I’d love to go out and tell them to keep moving cause they’re making my dog go crazy. But then I’d be the dick. It’s my job to manage my dog, not other people who are setting him off in places where they’re allowed to be.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I was in Vietnam having dinner with my friend and his wife and the wife's friend who was from Costa Mesa.

It was so weird to be in Hanoi eating dinner with someone who was where I was from.

Earlier that day I had been menaced by a retarded kid on the street.

And there is this idea if you break eye contact, they will leave you alone.

So I did this and it did not stop the kid. He kept coming after me for money. I ended up running away.

Begging is really unusual in VN when I was there.

Anyway I tell the story because I think it's funny because I tried the strategy and it didn't work at all.

At the dinner table, everyone got quiet.

The woman from OC who was a lesbian, totally froze me out. It was weird.

I guess she didn't like that I called the mentally retarded kid retarded.

This was 15 years ago. And retarded wasn't as taboo as it is now for most. I don't think it was enough of an infraction for her to react the way she did.

When I realized what was happening, it was super awkward. I didn't know what to do so I started flirting with her cute VN girl friend sitting next to me.

After dinner, my friend was like, "Nice going."

I was like, "What? I was telling story! The kid was retarded. I'm retarded!"

But there is no coming back from that.

• Love
Reactions: Autoprax

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
Dog owners are a breed apart... hmmm.
Their dog runs up and bites you.
The owner blames you for doing something the dog didn't like.

Other excuses; he's never done that before. As though that means you're not responsible. Never an apology. Same every time, they must go to dog excuse school or something.

Once my 88 year old father got knocked clean off his feet by an owner guilty of "assault by dog". One of the problems there was I had a go at the first person to appear - not the owner! :eek:

Maybe I need to start a thread on this.

And while I'm here: New neighbours two years ago.
Victims of their own selfishness.
Put their house up for sale the other day.
Just saying.

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Update:

- I lived in that house for another 14 months and the people never came back. I moved to San Diego in Sep 2022.

- The main dog that barked at people passing by died in June 2022. RIP

- I had another run in with a dog person at that same house. I was walking my 90 lbs staffy mix and an off leash dog came out of its yard and crossed the street to meet my dog who was leashed. Owner said "he's friendly". They started fighting and the owner of the other dog got bit when putting her hand between them. She called the cops and they told her it was her fault. Tried to sue me and also failed for not having her pet leashed.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Update:

- I lived in that house for another 14 months and the people never came back. I moved to San Diego in Sep 2022.

- The main dog that barked at people passing by died in June 2022. RIP

- I had another run in with a dog person at that same house. I was walking my 90 lbs staffy mix and an off leash dog came out of its yard and crossed the street to meet my dog who was leashed. Owner said "he's friendly". They started fighting and the owner of the other dog got bit when putting her hand between them. She called the cops and they told her it was her fault. Tried to sue me and also failed for not having her pet leashed.
But are you @ghost_of_lewis_samuels ? If not why did he plagiarize your post?