How much sh!t do you put up with to avoid being the asshole of the neighborhood?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I’m now dealing with some idiot neighbors and their Rottweiler bro. It’s been on my property twice now and reacted extremely poorly to being told to leave, getting more aggressive etc each time.

The owners have been informed and I’ve saved the texts indicating that they’re now aware of their dogs behavior. They didn’t seem to be particularly concerned. ASAP I will be making local enforcement aware of the situation as well.

Im debating whether or not I should hit the fucker immediately with the bear spray next time I see him no warning and based off the further testing with the stuff I just conducted for science I’m going to try and get him in the junk.
Hit the owner with bear spray.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Hit the owner with bear spray.
They’re lucky I didn’t split that fucking dogs skull open the second time. He ran up on me out of nowhere while I splitting wood with the little maul.
IMG_0469.jpeg

And I just went and cracked open the packaging on a new can of Frontiersman so I’ll have one in the truck along with one in the house. Based off of the smell and what little got on my hand then was inadvertently transferred to my ballsack it is gnarly af.

Like I told the neighbors I grew up with pure blood Alaskan Malamutes and I’d never seen them display anything close to the aggression/dominance issues this dog has and since it’s a Rottweiler I’m not taking any chances with it.

Back to @sussle hopenyou didn’t have any further issues but if it’s still a problem and I apologize I didn’t think of this sooner there’s what I believe is called the “Kohler Method” of training/dealing with aggressive behavior aka 36” of garden hose or in my case I already had something that is even better and would be very easy to take on walks, conceal, along with being very effective and easy to use

IMG_0471.jpeg

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
It took a while but I figured out the ideal solution to my not so particular problem since like I said I hope it’s not something @sussle is still dealing with and from the sounds of it @PRCD will be interested sadly based off recent experiences. Idk why I didn’t think about it sooner. Too much/not enough reefer???

Im still looking to deploy the wrist rocket from up on the deck in stealth mode like a sniper if I can bc it will be fun and am thinking about setting out some bait to get and keep him within firing range until I can some hits.

Otherwise, Sjambok. One or two good swipes and an aggressive dog (or person) will learn the meaning of the words pain and respect, wicked fast especially in the case of an animal that’s not expecting it?

Last edited:

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Was there an update on the poster with the shooting range nextdoor? Or did he die confronting them?
We have called the sheriff's department a month or so ago. The deputy we spoke with said they have gotten many calls about this shooting range since the summer. He said in the notes about the property the previous responder noted that they are shooting legally, not within 400' of any habital structure, and there is nothing he can do about it. I asked how can I dispute this and he said he would have the previous responder contact me (the previous responder is his supervisor and I think the deputy didnt want to step on his toes so was just going by what's in the notes). To my surprise I got a call from his Lt and discussed the shooting range. He said he thought it was beyond 400' and I told him I respectfully disagree. He asked if I have read the ordinance and that gave me the golden opportunity to tell him I have and for the last 30 years being in the architectural and engineering field I have made a living reading and interuprting zoning ordinances and applying that to drawings. I then told the Lt I have gone on the county's GIS website and took a measurement of 399.55', screenshot it, scaled it accurately, located the approximate location of firearm discharge and drew a 400' radius circle that shows a minimum of 4 structures within the 400' radius and would be happy to email that to him. He replied to please do so for it sounded like I know alot more about this then his google maps search (the range is so new it doesn't show on google earth yet). I have emailed him the sketch (see attached) but have not heard back from him yet. I also havent been home much lately so havent heard any recent shooting. Whenever I hear it again I will keep calling and put pressure on the sheriff's department to stop it.range distance.jpg

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
Have you gone over and met the neighbor with the shooting range? Perhaps he'll let you use it. :)
I had a nice shooting range on my grandfather's land right up until the property next door got developed. :(
I've met him and had a few brief but friendly conversations with him and his wife prior to him building it. He never once mentioned he was doing this and since then only see him driving by. I'm not a big gun person (not anti gun either) so have no desire to use it. The thing is he bought in a residential neighborhood and put a gun range in. I dont like to be outside when he's shooting for each shot is a jolt. My niece and nephew dont want to play in our yard when they are shooting. My dog hates it and shakes when he's shooting. If something were to ever come up where I had to sell he's so close that I am afraid I'd get a decent amount less then prior to him building a pistol range within 200' of our house.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've met him and had a few brief but friendly conversations with him and his wife prior to him building it. He never once mentioned he was doing this and since then only see him driving by. I'm not a big gun person (not anti gun either) so have no desire to use it. The thing is he bought in a residential neighborhood and put a gun range in. I dont like to be outside when he's shooting for each shot is a jolt. My niece and nephew dont want to play in our yard when they are shooting. My dog hates it and shakes when he's shooting. If something were to ever come up where I had to sell he's so close that I am afraid I'd get a decent amount less then prior to him building a pistol range within 200' of our house.
What is the nature of the range? Is it in any way enclosed or is it just a dirt pile?
The one on my grandfather's property was actually dug into the ground below grade with the dirt from the trench mounded up along the sides and a large mound at the end. 15 feet wide and 80 yards long and about 5 feet below grade. The way ours was made very little sound could be heard from the range if you were up at my grandfather's house. Before the neighboring property got developed there wasn't a structure other than my grandfather's house within at least 1000 feet and about a mile downrange.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I've met him and had a few brief but friendly conversations with him and his wife prior to him building it. He never once mentioned he was doing this and since then only see him driving by. I'm not a big gun person (not anti gun either) so have no desire to use it. The thing is he bought in a residential neighborhood and put a gun range in. I dont like to be outside when he's shooting for each shot is a jolt. My niece and nephew dont want to play in our yard when they are shooting. My dog hates it and shakes when he's shooting. If something were to ever come up where I had to sell he's so close that I am afraid I'd get a decent amount less then prior to him building a pistol range within 200' of our house
Sorry again you and your family are dealing with this. It’s total bullshit and the sherrif’s refusal to take action makes me wonder if he’s not lazy/incompetent and/or your gun loving loser of a neighbor isn’t a contributor to him politically and/or his department.

Legally negating the existence permanently of said nuisance is going to take some time sadly and I’d assume court proceedings unfortunately and I’d call Saul now bro one who specializes in property law and get him rattling the sheriff cage along with drafting a cease and desist letter informing your pos neighbor that his range is in clear violation of local ordinances and legal proceedings against him are pending.

In the mean time I’d research noise and disturbing the peace law and see if I couldn’t at least get those enforced on any given day

ha, i bought one of those for squirrels.:cheers:
I loved wrist rockets as a kid, a good shot from one esp when it’s a steel bearing is no joke.

If you’re looking for something different in the war against the varmint cong, I highly recommend a ”big bore” blowgun and stunner darts. Lots of fun. I had one of the little fuckers on my feeder eating expensive bird food all lined up for a perfect headshot when the angel of mercy intervened on his behalf so I only shot him in the ass. Watching him limp home was extremely satisfying

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I generally get along with the neighbors, but the whole “put the dog sh!t in a bag and leave it somewhere” is extremely annoying. At least take it with you.

Further, even if you pick it up, I don’t want your dog shitting in my yard since I might want to… wax my surfboard right there for instance, and I’d have no way of knowing.

Where do you draw the line for yard shitting? Can I sh!t in your yard? I mean don’t worry, I’ll put it in a bag when I’m done. :toilet: :monkey:

This needs it's own thread.
I was in my garage and some 20-something kid lets his retriever take a massive steamer on my front lawn then walks off knowing I'm watching him. I ask him if he's going to pick that up and he smirks at me. Then I tell him, "Pick that up or I'm going to put it in your pocket." He keeps walking so I go get a dog bag, pick up the poo, run down the street and put it in his pocket at which point he starts cussing me out. Then he brother comes over and starts cussing me out. I don't say anything but mad-dog him in hopes he's dumb-enough to try to assault me. Finally, the kid's dad comes down and explains that his son his autistic and, wanting to be done with the situation, I apologize saying, "I'm autistic too."

The kid and his older brother occasionally curse-out my kids from the white Beamer their daddy bought them. Not sure I'd do anything differently if I could go back, TBH. The pocket-o-pooh really seemed to help that kid pick up in the future.

It's best not to live in either a rich or poor neighborhood, but good luck finding anything in-between.

theramrod

Nep status
Nov 14, 2014
N Cackalaki
What is the nature of the range? Is it in any way enclosed or is it just a dirt pile?
The one on my grandfather's property was actually dug into the ground below grade with the dirt from the trench mounded up along the sides and a large mound at the end. 15 feet wide and 80 yards long and about 5 feet below grade. The way ours was made very little sound could be heard from the range if you were up at my grandfather's house. Before the neighboring property got developed there wasn't a structure other than my grandfather's house within at least 1000 feet and about a mile downrange.
I've only seen it from my property and it is not enclosed. It's dirt he had trucked in, looks like a small semi-circle and gravel ground. Nothing is below grade. He's got targets and lots of blue barrels I can see from my property. It appears to be a well done range, but he's in the middle of a neighborhood and just in the wrong location.

Chocki - it may come down lo getting lawyers involved but I am giving the sheriff's department a chance to handle it before then. They are spread thin in our county and I understand there are more pressing issues but know that I have started a dialog with them and presenting them with information that this is against the county ordinance I will call a few more times to see if they do anything prior to calling Saul Goodman.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I've only seen it from my property and it is not enclosed. It's dirt he had trucked in, looks like a small semi-circle and gravel ground. Nothing is below grade. He's got targets and lots of blue barrels I can see from my property. It appears to be a well done range, but he's in the middle of a neighborhood and just in the wrong location.

Chocki - it may come down lo getting lawyers involved but I am giving the sheriff's department a chance to handle it before then. They are spread thin in our county and I understand there are more pressing issues but know that I have started a dialog with them and presenting them with information that this is against the county ordinance I will call a few more times to see if they do anything prior to calling Saul Goodman.
Im glad to hear that it’s a manpower issue bc these local sheriffs can either be complete Barney Fifes and/or corrupt af.

I also understand your reluctance to call Saul but that’s what he’s there for bro and if it was me I’d take advantage of winter/bad weather to get things resolved before spring so you can be outside enjoying your property again.

I just can’t get over what a kunt your neighbor is. There are plenty of ways for them to enjoy target sports at home that don’t involve bullets. Archery, air rifles, etc.

@PRCD I found a nice semi rural inbetween neighborhood and I’m surrounded by people (loser hicks who moved here from other states recently) who don’t give a fuck about their dogs = incessant barking. The ultrasound always wins but I’m sick of doing battle with these mongrels. So I’m now documenting with vids on my phone every instance of two separate neighbors dogs unreasonable barking in preparation to consult Saul Goodman.

That’s in addition to feeling the need now to inform my local sheriff about the existence of a potential dangerous dog in the neighborhood. I was up on the deck this morning drinking some coffee and could hear them let him out and him more or less ignoring them asking/pleading for him to come back and get in the car for a solid 5 plus minutes. How they interacted with and their lack of real control over the dog was exactly what I excepted from them based on his previous behavior.

Reactions: PRCD

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I'm as Pro 2A as you'll ever meet, but I'm also a fan of being a good neighbor. If this guy wants to be like Hickok45, he should purchase a place with more space around him. I'd be very upset if I were in your situation. I had a similar situation a year ago, a retired Army Ranger was shooting in his backyard with his teenagers. Problem was that my young daughter and her friends were downrange, playing in the backyard of a house down the street. I called the sheriff because I didn't want to go knocking on the guy's door myself. The deputy called me back and then visited the gentleman. Hasn't been a problem since. I think it was an honest mistake - it's forested between his backyard and the other backyard, but still, I was pretty concerned of an errant round hitting someone.

for those not familiar with Hickok45, he's an old guy who does reviews of guns in his backyard. I have a .44 like this one, its awesome, but I wouldn't shoot it within 400' of a residential neighborhood.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
After seeing the aerial photo I'd consider buying suppressors the best option by far. Anyone who buys that property and puts in a shooting range = pay them off or pay someone to off them.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Otherwise, Sjambok. One or two good swipes and an aggressive dog (or person) will learn the meaning of the words pain and respect, wicked fast especially in the case of an animal that’s not expecting it?
What's wrong with a good ol' Merikan rubber (synthetic) hose?

Cut to length, it is way, way cheaper and should you want more out of it, fill with sand and crimp ends.

- A Poor Man's James Bond out! :p

1704216450721.png

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
What's wrong with a good ol' Merikan rubber (synthetic) hose?

Cut to length, it is way, way cheaper and should you want more out of it, fill with sand and crimp ends.

- A Poor Man's James Bond out!

View attachment 169719
Not as easy to use or as effective as a sjambok. Adding weight to it via sand would make even harder to use and less effective imo. Bc the effectiveness of a whip/cane is based off inflicting pain not damage aka pain compliance. In this case it’s as a result of force = mass x acceleration with acceleration being the crucial component via the length and flexibility of the cane whip. If I wasn’t worried about permanently blinding the dog I’d stick with bear spray as a deterrent

Reactions: Mr Doof