How many times has your car been robbed while surfing?

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
They got me today, first time in over 2 decades.
- broken my iPhone password (they had texted with my wife telling her not to worry about the Wells Fargo fraud alert, that "I" was dealing with it)
- changed the password to+accessed my WellsFargo account (hell I don't even know the password to it because I never access it)
- moved around about $30k of funds within the account
- attempted about $20k worth of purchases of Apple merchandise

The only identifying stuff I had in my wallet was my DL. I don't use Apple Pay or any of that crap.

Pretty fascinating.

Now need to change locks to the house, mailbox.

Truck too I guess.

:shrug:
Man that's too bad.
There but for the grace of god go I...... I have my Wells Fargo account right on my iPhone home screen. And two other banks also.
Did your iPhone facial recognition look at you each time you logged on to Wells Fargo or does none of that matter with Cellbrite?
I have to agree on a safety password with my wife and kids - Jeeze I learned a lot from your misfortune.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sucks man, sorry to hear . . . But doesn't your wetsuit have a key pocket :unsure: :foreheadslap:
Powered fobs do poorly in a salt water medium.

I use the modern version of shoe lace looped around my neck with key: fob in glorified ziplock bag around neck underwetsuit.

PS
Any account you have that can be accessed online should not be left "un-signed up". To help a friend work through a dead parent's estate, I more or less helped them sign up their deceased parent to a raft of financial accounts. We already had their basic info and in 20 minutes or so, were in.

PPS
In the previous PS, I made some claims that cannot be independently verified and thus you should ignore any implication of fraud on Mr Doof's behalf. In fact, I deny making any truthful claims ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Man that's too bad.
There but for the grace of god go I...... I have my Wells Fargo account right on my iPhone home screen. And two other banks also.
Did your iPhone facial recognition look at you each time you logged on to Wells Fargo or does none of that matter with Cellbrite?
I have to agree on a safety password with my wife and kids - Jeeze I learned a lot from your misfortune.
Cellebrite

Reactions: Mr Doof

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Never surfing. But had my stereo and all of my CDs stolen out of my car parked outside my apartment. Crushing - a lot of them were demo burns that could never be replaced. Thankfully I had loaned my case out to a friend to burn what he liked and he returned the favor. Not all or even most but a lot more than nothing.

Left my car door wide open parked at the upper lot at Zeros for a few hours as was amping. I did have my keys with my stuff on the sand and nothing in the car so wasn't much anyone could do I guess (maybe hotwire it?). Probably the fact it was an early 80s Buick Regal made it unappealing for that area. Not so for at USC - was stolen and stripped for parts right from on-campus parking lot. Security saw it happen too and did nothing to stop it. :cautious:

And on another note, casa, that is FUCKED. I really hope you can get it all back one way or another. WF should also give you at least 10% additional reparations/penance money for lying to you and thereby making it worse.

This cements my decision to only have a flip phone with no apps and minimal capabilities - do all the financial stuff that's my responsibility from home. But also reinforces idea of having also a stripped down wallet (DL, one CC, a couple 20s) anytime I might have to leave things in a vulnerable position.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

I use the modern version of shoe lace looped around my neck with key: fob in glorified ziplock bag around neck underwetsuit.

PS
Any account you have that can be accessed online should not be left "un-signed up". To help a friend work through a dead parent's estate, I more or less helped them sign up their deceased parent to a raft of financial accounts. We already had their basic info and in 20 minutes or so, were in.

PPS
In the previous PS, I made some claims that cannot be independently verified and thus you should ignore any implication of fraud on Mr Doof's behalf. In fact, I deny making any truthful claims ever.
It's all about that mechanical key game player. You pull the mechanical key out of the fob, toss the fob in the car, lock the door with the mechanical key, and put the key on the boardshorts/wetsuit string thingy.

This doesn't always work so well on rentals. The newer Audis might have a plastic piece over the mechanical key hole and you have to flip to the page in the owner's manual where they tell you to use the mechanical key to pry the plastic piece off which is totally reassuring when you feel the mechanical key flexing under load.

Nissan Pathfinder might be anal about locking the fob in the car to the point you have to put it in the glove box. Faraday bag sold separately.

When everything becomes a smartphone unlock but before biometrics are widely available, we will probably have to foster a family of badgers and leave them in the car with water and cracked windows. The second thief if there is one will find your sh!t wide open for the taking, but the FIRST motherfooker is getting torn to ribbons.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Got broken into AFTER we spent 6 weeks in S. Mex right in front of our house.
Parked the van after getting in late on a Saturday night.
Heard a party down the street, didn't think anything of it, hit the hay, we were beat, too tired to unload.
Came out in the AM, side doors open, 4 boards gone including an incredible 6'6" Yater winged roundpin that I absolutely loved.
And worst of all - our super 8 camera with 6 reels of epic Ticla/Pascuales footage. :foreheadslap:

Also had our backpacks boosted while surfing Sands.
Lost my pants, towel, shirt, wallet with a few $$$ and my D.L.
Got a call 2 weeks later, someone found my wallet in the dunes minus $$$, got my D.L. back though.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
When everything becomes a smartphone unlock but before biometrics are widely available, we will probably have to foster a family of badgers and leave them in the car with water and cracked windows. The second thief if there is one will find your sh!t wide open for the taking, but the FIRST motherfooker is getting torn to ribbons.

Badgers are good but a hungry chimp might be better. First thing they go for is the face and genitals and they have unlimited strength.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
For sure, but Casa is pretty outspoken about being as low tech as possible, so I figured he most likely has a manual key.

Even with a fob, you can still get a door key cut from your dealership for ~$10.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Here's something weird. Driving back from Kirkwood on Friday, I got notified of a $7 toll charge for crossing the Richmond Bridge. I didn't go anywhere near that bridge. It's not a bank-breaker but still annoying.

Checked and my Fastrack is still on my windshield. I filed a charge dispute with Toll Roads but haven't heard anything back.

Is it possible that someone could pirate that somehow? Even if on the move? The timing of the bridge is pretty close to the time I might have crossed it if I had gone that direction.

Do they have cameras that go along with the scanners?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Let to this thread.

Once. Ponto, 101 turn off sand lot
I used to be pretty lassez faire about my vehicle. I had a 95 GMC single cab with a dog that was in it all the time, so I was used to leaving the sliding rear door open so she could move between the cab and the bed. I rarely locked it. It looked like a retired landscaping vehicle. Manual windows & locks, long bed.

Anyway. No dog this day. Pretty sure it was locked but I can't say for sure. While I was out, someone got in, stole my 72 CD wallet (this also gives you an idea of time period), my favorite pants with my wallet (cell phone too I think?) in them, and the face, just the faceplate, of my cd player. THat was the most frustrating part. The CD player was intact, but the faceplate was gone, making it inoperable, and trapping the CD that was in the deck inside.

I got a wild idea that some homeless looking dude nearby took it. I followed him to the Carl's Jr. Asked him, had a quick look at his stuff, and realized I was wrong.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Here's something weird. Driving back from Kirkwood on Friday, I got notified of a $7 toll charge for crossing the Richmond Bridge. I didn't go anywhere near that bridge. It's not a bank-breaker but still annoying.

Checked and my Fastrack is still on my windshield. I filed a charge dispute with Toll Roads but haven't heard anything back.

Is it possible that someone could pirate that somehow? Even if on the move? The timing of the bridge is pretty close to the time I might have crossed it if I had gone that direction.

Do they have cameras that go along with the scanners?
There is this rf device out there that can sniff a lot of things. They probably used one of those to clone your fastrak.

security by obfuscation doesn’t work anymore and so a lot of companies are gonna get got.

personally, I just let the fastrak system look up my plates. i hated the transponder going off during carpool hour.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
There is this rf device out there that can sniff a lot of things. They probably used one of those to clone your fastrak.

security by obfuscation doesn’t work anymore and so a lot of companies are gonna get got.

personally, I just let the fastrak system look up my plates. i hated the transponder going off during carpool hour.
Wonder who it was and where they did it.

Hopefully they don't keep using that clone. I can eat the $7 if all else fails but if there are repeat performances, that would suck.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Wonder who it was and where they did it.

Hopefully they don't keep using that clone. I can eat the $7 if all else fails but if there are repeat performances, that would suck.
Walk past and scan it. There is probably a market for scanned tags. You don’t even need line of sight. If the transponder can be read at 40mph and though my buttcheek while going throufh BB toll plaza during carpool, it probably can get scanned from across a parking lot.

if you didn’t do it request the photo from fastrak. Charges are on the car, not the driver. Point out it’s not your car.

• Angry
Reactions: Mr Doof and Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Walk past and scan it. There is probably a market for scanned tags. You don’t even need line of sight. If the transponder can be read at 40mph and though my buttcheek while going throufh BB toll plaza during carpool, it probably can get scanned from across a parking lot.

if you didn’t do it request the photo from fastrak. Charges are on the car, not the driver.
Lead-based tape over it on both sides I guess.

I did add that about the photo within my dispute with fastrack. If I don't hear back by tomorrow, I'll call them. So random.