How many times has your car been robbed while surfing?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Here's something weird. Driving back from Kirkwood on Friday, I got notified of a $7 toll charge for crossing the Richmond Bridge. I didn't go anywhere near that bridge. It's not a bank-breaker but still annoying.

Checked and my Fastrack is still on my windshield. I filed a charge dispute with Toll Roads but haven't heard anything back.

Is it possible that someone could pirate that somehow? Even if on the move? The timing of the bridge is pretty close to the time I might have crossed it if I had gone that direction.

Do they have cameras that go along with the scanners?

I've thought about that occasionally and looked it up, but it's always come up clean. That's part of the reason why I don't put my box on the windshield. It just lives in the door pocket or the center console. I don't want anyone to know I have it.

Let us know how it works out.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Lead-based tape over it on both sides I guess.
We thought we were gonna need that lead-shielded truck from the Chernobyl not 3.7 it's 15,000 scene to protect us from what we've done to the environment but we're going to need it to protect us from each other's technologically advanced petty theft.

Giant Meteor 2024
"Meteor me to my face!"

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
We thought we were gonna need that lead-shielded truck from the Chernobyl not 3.7 it's 15,000 scene to protect us from what we've done to the environment but we're going to need it to protect us from each other's technologically advanced petty theft.

Giant Meteor 2024
"Meteor me to my face!"
Script kiddies meets phreaking the internet of things.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've thought about that occasionally and looked it up, but it's always come up clean. That's part of the reason why I don't put my box on the windshield. It just lives in the door pocket or the center console. I don't want anyone to know I have it.

Will do. It's not even a box, just a piece of tape with a bar code on my windshield.

I only very occasionally go over GG or RB so may just strip that off and pay as I go if I get recurring charges. :shrug:

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
For sure, but Casa is pretty outspoken about being as low tech as possible, so I figured he most likely has a manual key.

Even with a fob, you can still get a door key cut from your dealership for ~$10.
VW wanted more than that for a manual key for my Golf.

Actually, my fob has a "switchblade" manual key..press a button, out pops the manual key.

I went to a locksmith to see if they could make me a key from that, and they said "if we have the blanks".....and they didn't. Two other places didn't have the blanks either. And they wanted $50.

But this was 5 yrs ago, maybe I should look into prices again....but I still don't like the idea of having to pop off the plastic covers from the key slots. Once I get those off unbroken (and knowing my luck...), can I put them back on, will I lose them, and then the discussion about the "changed aesthetics of the door handles of our car".

• Sad
Reactions: grapedrink

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Bank Of America fraud protection is tight
almost to tight. they declined my card at the dispensary last night that ive gone to for like 10 years twice a week. menwhile theyve let people have a feild day with my debit card before..no rhyme or reason and forget about it if it happens abroad. their phone system has got to be the absolute worst

• Sad
Reactions: Chocki

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
almost to tight. they declined my card at the dispensary last night that ive gone to for like 10 years twice a week. menwhile theyve let people have a feild day with my debit card before..no rhyme or reason and forget about it if it happens abroad. their phone system has got to be the absolute worst
Debit card . .. ***Sigh***

Reactions: Mr Doof

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003

i once got a ticket in the mail for not paying a toll in san francisco
ive never even been there, nor has my car
it was a license plate reader failure they cleared up when i called

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
i once got a ticket in the mail for not paying a toll in san francisco
ive never even been there, nor has my car
it was a license plate reader failure they cleared up when i called
Ever hear the story about the guy whose license plate said “NO PLATE”?

He ordered a vanity plate from DMV. They give you the option to get a different plate if your first choice was unavailable. Well that was the case. First choice was unavailable so from the second choice he put “no plate” meaning he didn’t want a plate if he couldn’t get his first choice.

They sent him a plate that said “NO PLATE”.

Then the parking tickets started rolling in. Hundreds of them. Cops were giving tickets to cars that did not have plates on them and in the space on the ticket where they put the plate number they’d write “no plate”.

Story might be an urban myth….

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Ever hear the story about the guy whose license plate said “NO PLATE”?

He ordered a vanity plate from DMV. They give you the option to get a different plate if your first choice was unavailable. Well that was the case. First choice was unavailable so from the second choice he put “no plate” meaning he didn’t want a plate if he couldn’t get his first choice.

They sent him a plate that said “NO PLATE”.

Then the parking tickets started rolling in. Hundreds of them. Cops were giving tickets to cars that did not have plates on them and in the space on the ticket where they put the plate number they’d write “no plate”.

Story might be an urban myth….
Annoying trashy girl I worked with asked for “MSESSEX” (last name was Essex) and got MMSEX instead :roflmao: :foreheadslap:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Never while surfing. When I was in college I was living in OB. Came home from bar hopping with a friend and caught a guy in my Volvo wagon trying to rip the stereo out. He was trying to hold the door buttons down as we tossed the keys back and forth. Couple of tosses and a fake and we had the doors open. Instant karma.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
I convinced the parking nazi not to boot my car once in Wrightsville during college...felt like a w until my broke ass had to pay the 3 other tickets on the spot.

Pescado713

Nep status
May 2, 2019
Came up on a large black man with a slim jim in the Kearny Mesa Walmart attempting to break into my car. He was obviously a pro and slipped away like a ghost (a very large ghost)....I mentioned it to the parking lot security, they could have cared less.

Pescado713

Nep status
May 2, 2019
Fvck Pacific Beach (PB) San Diego
yes, rip off zone central....in the early 90's so many rando people living together in houses with other people they didn't know at all, we stayed for 7 months + a newborn with a former Guess model before a kindly rich old lady rented us a condo up @ Windansea for a song. Cars would have windows broken out the morning after and nothing stolen. Never again. :roflmao: :roflmao:

tomminator123

OTF status
Dec 22, 2017
They got me today, first time in over 2 decades.

Buried my keys in the sand today in a downpour at Scripps, nobody in sight. As per usual. Came back and looked like a dog dug a hole in the sand.

Ruh-roh.

Back to the truck, mat was flipped, wallet and celly gone. Doors nicely locked.

Here's the crazy part. Since everything is timestamped I know the sh!t got stolen within 30 mins of being in the water, and within that time frame they had
- broken my iPhone password (they had texted with my wife telling her not to worry about the Wells Fargo fraud alert, that "I" was dealing with it)
- changed the password to+accessed my WellsFargo account (hell I don't even know the password to it because I never access it)
- moved around about $30k of funds within the account
- attempted about $20k worth of purchases of Apple merchandise

The only identifying stuff I had in my wallet was my DL. I don't use Apple Pay or any of that crap.

Pretty fascinating.

Now need to change locks to the house, mailbox.

Truck too I guess.

:shrug:
wow I had an extremely similar situation happen to me at El Porto in December 2021. It was raining and my buddy and I were the only people at the beach. My friend stashed his keys in a bush, and they were stolen shortly after we got in the water. They took our phones and my wallet. The thieves spent $20k at different luxury stores in Beverly Hills, meanwhile at the same time someone went to a Wells Fargo branch in Mar Vista and withdrew $10k in cash. They also changed my password for my online account. I assume the thieves must have known some employees at that branch.
Thankfully Wells Fargo reimbursed everything within 10 days.

Pretty shitty situation, I hope it gets resolved quickly for you

Reactions: casa_mugrienta