How many times has your car been robbed while surfing?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had a friend whose mom lived on the Strand (LA beachfront). He parked his truck and left it running because he was just gong in for a minute to grab something. He came out and it was gone. Never recovered.

When his mom died he took the money, had to be substantial, and went a bought a place somewhere in Mexico. Died of drug overdose within a couple of years.

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
1 Had something similar with a charge. Called, had them manually "look" at the image of car and plate at time of charge and that took care of things.

2 Was talking with some tourists and they were going on and on about how they are liking not being charged on for tolls on all the bridge crossings. "We're driving a rental, hahhaha, free crossings for us!" I told them that their plate is linked to their rental agreement and those charges will show up. They didn't believe me. While I like to think I am right, that the toll service people will get their pound of flesh, I've been wrong about a lot of things....what do people think? Charged or not?
Absolutely yes they will get charged. The toll authority will charge the rental company, which in turn will charge the renter, likely with a markup. That is why rental car companies make you swipe your credit card.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Mr Doof

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I've thought about that occasionally and looked it up, but it's always come up clean. That's part of the reason why I don't put my box on the windshield. It just lives in the door pocket or the center console. I don't want anyone to know I have it.

Let us know how it works out.
Oh those shitheads. Got charged again on Friday for a toll and went over no bridges at all - was at Kirkwood all day!

Called up their customer service line. Guy who answered the phone was more stoned than cumulative Jerry Garcia. Absolute waste and said oh bro we can't do anything about that. They claimed that they have no way to access the cameras to verify plates. Zero effort to make things right. Some phantom transponder they claimed was mine but no, it's not and it isn't on my profile. Weird thing is my profile was completely updated and what they had was 4+ years old and two moves ago.

Lit into that guy, told him he was stoned off his t!ts and to get me a supervisor. Equally useless.

Cussed her out too, closed accounts, called credit card and reported it as fraudulent, removed all charges, stripped the decal off the windshield.

But goddamn it, when they asked me if they could help me with anything else, I forgot to tell them to commit seppuku and no they are not worthy of a second. Losing my edge. :foreheadslap:

Toll roads are shitty in the first place because it's double taxation.

There is this rf device out there that can sniff a lot of things. They probably used one of those to clone your fastrak.

security by obfuscation doesn’t work anymore and so a lot of companies are gonna get got.
I brought this up to them and they played babe-in-the-woods innocent that they've never heard of this. Bull. sh!t.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I had a friend whose mom lived on the Strand (LA beachfront). He parked his truck and left it running because he was just gong in for a minute to grab something. He came out and it was gone. Never recovered.

When his mom died he took the money, had to be substantial, and went a bought a place somewhere in Mexico. Died of drug overdose within a couple of years.
”Some people come down here to live, others come down here to die”,
Rando I met who lived in Costa Rica.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I brought this up to them and they played babe-in-the-woods innocent that they've never heard of this. Bull. sh!t.
no idea if this one can do it, but gives you an idea of what’s out there

and here’s a talk on the hack: