How’s the stock market?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Same as always. It's not what you know but who you know.

Why I would teach kids to network as much as possible in the business world.

Reactions: grapedrink

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
The stock market can be a wild ride, right? Lately, I've been keeping an eye on it and trying to stay informed about the ups and downs. Reminds me of when I was navigating through turbulent times in the market. That's when I stumbled upon this app called immediateedgeapp.org. It offered some great insights into market trends and helped me make more informed decisions. So, while the market might be unpredictable, having the right tools can definitely help smooth out the ride.
t!ts or GTFO.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This is what I was talking about a few years back - a stagnant decade of retirement savings to inflation and normal-subpar returns.

If the Fed keeps interest rates up to combat inflation, interest on the national debt keeps climbing the hockey stick and crowding out other expenditures and entitlements. It also makes bonds more attractive.

If the Fed reduces interest rates, we might stick with stocks but half are already unable to afford them which will worsen with inflation.
1712852924621.png

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If the Fed keeps interest rates up to combat inflation, interest on the national debt keeps climbing the hockey stick and crowding out other expenditures and entitlements. It also makes bonds more attractive.

If the Fed reduces interest rates, we might stick with stocks but half are already unable to afford them which will worsen with inflation.
View attachment 177682
Exactly.

Rewind to casa posts from a while back - "inflation will be sticky" and Fed has no ability to do anything to get real control, thanks to politics.

• Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
$GRRR voted for 10:1 reverse stock split. Despite strong earnings report, can't stay above $1.00.

Slid back from 99 to 62 again. My guess is big institutions don't want to touch it because liquidity way too low. No big players means price can't hold that 1.00 minimum threshold to stay listed on the NASDAQ. The reverse split on Monday will change the price to $6.00 or so.

:toilet:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sure. However the ripple effects of a crisis resulting in primary home foreclosures has far more drastic economic ripple effects on everyday people than a commercial crisis.

I’m not twisting it, I’m calling it for what it is :roflmao: You are the perpetual doom and gloomer who is eventually right because there is no time limit, then dances up and down when the crash happens 5-10 years later.
Commercial real estate foreclosures jumped 117% in March as trouble looms

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
When is that post from :unsure: Never said it wouldn't happen. What I said is I question how much this will impact other sectors of the economy. The pessimists are always right eventually.

Most of those properties were probably purchased with 25-30% down, so there is some cushion. Roughly double year over year (not over month, as the headline implies) is nothing crazy if it's from a relatively lower figure, which it seems to be over the last 10 years

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
SMCI dives 23% after failing to release guidance....which probably brought down NVDA and a bunch of others with it. it's been a pretty high flyer with the AI crowd and i think some folks here are SMCI hodlers as well. anybody have an informed opinion as to where support will be for this stock? it's been on my watchlist for a while, but ATH's scare me.

• Haha
Reactions: casa_mugrienta

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
SMCI dives 23% after failing to release guidance....which probably brought down NVDA and a bunch of others with it. it's been a pretty high flyer with the AI crowd and i think some folks here are SMCI hodlers as well. anybody have an informed opinion as to where support will be for this stock? it's been on my watchlist for a while, but ATH's scare me.

Whole tech market is starting to cool off. Going to be interesting to see if we had a chill summer with pullbacks, or if this train can keep rolling.

SMCI from TA-only perspective, lost red trendline with gusto. Strong move down usually followed by a bounce. But this bastard rocked up so fast, there is no real support until purple, which is around 350-ish. Maybe it snags on the yellow shaded area around 500.

I've seen quite a few on social that seem to think this one is way over valued compared to the NVDAs of the world. No idea what's happening with their financials right now.

1713714622114.png

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
This is what I was talking about a few years back - a stagnant decade of retirement savings to inflation and normal-subpar returns.

How long has he been saying this? How much upside has he missed?

The thing about these prognosticators is that nobody follows up on the predictions. Should we bookmark this and revisit in 2034?

It‘s hardly a risk to say we’ll have two full bear markets in the next decade. sh!t, I predict one this year. See how easy that is?

And really, unless you’re trying to time the market, the vast majority of index investors don’t care if there are 2 huge drops. Buy all the way Dow and lower your basis is a good investment strategy.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Vanguard is one of the older, low cost investment firms. Everything is done on-line except to introduce yourself and perhaps invest if you’re satisfied with the financial consultant. For what it’s worth, we’ve used Vanguard since the 1970s or early 1980s. A phone call and their suggestions/recommendations won’t cost you anything up front. (800) 823-7413 or (800) 992-5541. John

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Vanguard is one of the older, low cost investment firms. Everything is done on-line except to introduce yourself and perhaps invest if you’re satisfied with the financial consultant. For what it’s worth, we’ve used Vanguard since the 1970s or early 1980s. A phone call and their suggestions/recommendations won’t cost you anything up front. (800) 823-7413 or (800) 992-5541. John
Eff that - bet it all on PLTR!