How’s the stock market?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
“As I have said before, this is one name I am investing in for the future generations of my bloodline.”
https://sarge986.com/sarge
The nickname? Not just a nickname. The trading community dubbed Stephen as the "Sarge" in the 1980's, and the name stuck as Stephen served as a Sergeant in reserve components of both the US Marine Corps and US Army while simultaneously working on Wall Street.

Well known for his street-level interpretation of macro-economic data, as well as policy, Sarge has held the titles of US Economist at Meridian, and Chief Market Economist at Stuart Frankel.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The nickname? Not just a nickname. The trading community dubbed Stephen as the "Sarge" in the 1980's, and the name stuck as Stephen served as a Sergeant in reserve components of both the US Marine Corps and US Army while simultaneously working on Wall Street.
He served in the reserve!

“As I have said before, this is one name I am investing in for the future generations of my bloodline.”
https://sarge986.com/sarge
Totally normal thing to say. What does his "bloodline" look like, for reference?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
SMCI dives 23% after failing to release guidance....which probably brought down NVDA and a bunch of others with it. it's been a pretty high flyer with the AI crowd and i think some folks here are SMCI hodlers as well. anybody have an informed opinion as to where support will be for this stock? it's been on my watchlist for a while, but ATH's scare me.

1 Thought general tendency for S&P500 listed firms is to warn on poor earnings, not good, but I wouldn't take that opinion/thought to the bank with "real" money.

2 I am expecting great earnings, which in this case is above predicted earnings, but I wouldn't take that opinion/thought to the bank with "real" money.

Which begs the question, what is "real" money? The money in my low cost index 401 funds.

PS
Full disclosure: I do have some SMCI at sub $400 in a retail account because life without risk can be somewhat dull.

Last edited:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
1 Thought general tendency for S&P500 listed firms is to warn on poor earnings, not good, but I wouldn't take that opinion/thought to the bank with "real" money.

2 I am expecting great earnings, which is this case is above predicted earnings, but I wouldn't take that opinion/thought to the bank with "real" money.

Which begs the question, what is "real" money? The money in my low cost index 401 funds.

PS
Full disclosure: I do have some SMCI at sub $400 in a retail account because life without risk can be somewhat dull.
been looking at it all day - it took a big hit but it's still up twice where it was in January. i like your position better than what's currently available - i would jump in at sub-$400. at $700? probably not.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
What happens if the "craze" or "frenzy" described in the article subsides?
View attachment 178662
It won’t. You know why bc from day 1 they’ve been an action/results dependent/driven company bc of who their first customer was, the military. Vs fucking chat bots lol.

Along with results they bring something else incredibly valuable to the table, data security. So I all I see in the future is more customers, and more revenue. Palantir is for the children.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It won’t.
Ok well the company "selling shovels" to the AI gold rush - NVDA - has taken a significant dive in share price lately. Maybe it'll go back up. :shrug:
You know why bc from day 1 they’ve been an action/results dependent/driven company bc of who their first customer was, the military. Vs fucking chat bots lol.
If you've been in the military, you're inherently less-impressed by this.
Along with results they bring something else incredibly valuable to the table, data security.
What do you mean by this?
So I all I see in the future is more customers, and more revenue.
You see into the future. So does everyone in Wall Street, man. :shrug:
1713886589506.png

Palantir is for the children
The SARGE said he was investing in PLTR for the "future of his bloodline." Did he get that idea from pro wrestling?

Anyways, I think earnings will be good on May 6 and PLTR will get a bump. There are customers in adjacent markets who are probably curious and the company's marketing is pretty good, especially to investors. However, there are not infinite numbers of new customers - you mine a vein for awhile then it's mined. :shrug:

Hit me with a meme.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Ok well the company "selling shovels" to the AI gold rush - NVDA - has taken a significant dive in share price lately. Maybe it'll go back up. :shrug:

If you've been in the military, you're inherently less-impressed by this.

What do you mean by this?

You see into the future. So does everyone in Wall Street, man. :shrug:
View attachment 178664

The SARGE said he was investing in PLTR for the "future of his bloodline." Did he get that idea from pro wrestling?

Anyways, I think earnings will be good on May 6 and PLTR will get a bump. There are customers in adjacent markets who are probably curious and the company's marketing is pretty good, especially to investors. However, there are not infinite numbers of new customers - you mine a vein for awhile then it's mined. :shrug:

Hit me with a meme.
Bro all I got to do is look at who’s buying what they’re selling, legit corporations.

Someday everyone is going to be using them.

1713889970255.jpeg

Reactions: Subway and PRCD

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Bro all I got to do is look at who’s buying what they’re selling, legit corporations.

Someday everyone is going to be using them.
PLTR's use of software boot camps in place of a traditional salesforce has some skeptics but it makes sense to me - early on in my IT career, it was painfully obvious to me that techs generally make better sales reps. Karp is really working that concept - they had 500 boot camps all last year, probably have twice that this year. :cheers:

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
PLTR's use of software boot camps in place of a traditional salesforce has some skeptics but it makes sense to me - early on in my IT career, it was painfully obvious to me that techs generally make better sales reps. Karp is really working that concept - they had 500 boot camps all last year, probably have twice that this year. :cheers:

Karp is the man, dog.