How’s the stock market?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
This is what gets me fired up. Long term cap gains are taxed at a much lower rate than income. One of the most huge advantages rich people who make money investing have.

Tax it all as income. Tax rates in general could go down, freeing up more money at the lower end (incomes of < $100K, where income is generally all from wages and everything is recycled into the economy) which stimulates economic activity.
In one sense, I kinda like the idea of long term capital gains being taxed at a lower rate.

1 Provides opportunity for stability of share price, which then allows for companies to estimate future needs

2 Keeps people in the game longer, again provides opportunity for stability and might allow for reduced stress level

3 Gives incentive for people to know they have some 'skin in the game' that a longer term investment can provide...am a fan of of more people having skin the game as it can provide a sense of unity or 'shared status'

4 Getting people to prepare for the future is tough enough as is, giving a little incentive by the 'system' can help people chart a course for themselves, and a little sense that they are directing their life will add meaning to it (well, it may add meaning to some people's lives and for others who believe in fate, well, nothing can add/subtract meaning because it is or isn't fated).

What I found most strange about long term capitol gains is how a person can save a crazy boatload by inheriting stock. Mom buys 100 shares of Apple in 1985 for $5 a share (example) and then just sits on them until she dies. Offspring inherits the stock in 2020 and then sells all 100 shares at $500 per (example). Offspring's price basis for determining capitol gain is the price per share in 2020. So if mom died when share price was $499 (example), offspring pays tax on $100 gain. The other gain is not considered. Maybe this angle should be looked at.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
how did we do this week, traders? i made a little money on Monday, but not a dime since. i spent all week buying small positions in under-valued profitable companies, currently trading in the bottom 1/3 of their 52-week range, ostensibly dragged down by the bears. would love to spend next week closing out those positions for a modest profit...

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
watch TLT (30Y treasuries); if it takes out 170 all hell breaks loose. my wager is it will.
would that be considered some kind of bellwether haven for investors fleeing the equities market?

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
would that be considered some kind of bellwether haven for investors fleeing the equities market?
So, where does the money go?

Where does Joe Average Millionaire go with the 50 million he's pulling out of the stock market?

I've got a few ideas. Hopefully I'm already positioned to take Joe's money and swap into the maybe soon to be crashing real estate market.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
The best quarter in 20 years.

Perhaps I raised cash a little too early this month?

Daddy always said, "The market needs a wall of worry to climb to new heights."

Hi everyone,
Unfortunately, this week was difficult for traders, I personally lost several thousand dollars. How do you think LiteCoin will regain its stability in the global market? I've been working as a Fondex ctrader for 3 years and I haven't seen such jumps as in this case for a long time. I think that because of the pandemic that has taken over the whole world, such jumps occur on the world cryptocurrency exchange. If there are experienced ctrader here, tell me, is it worth withdrawing your savings from the cryptocurrency for a while or is there a chance of its rapid growth?

Last edited: