How’s the stock market?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Dump imo, there's nowhere for them to grow. They've already captured as much market share as they're ever going to
Reddit could also just be out of money which is why they need the IPO.

Almost all companies are unprofitable when they IPO

Data show that the majority of new companies coming to market are unprofitable when they IPO. Since the 1980s, unprofitable IPOs have risen from around 20% to 80% of the total IPOs each year (Chart 1).

Despite that, the average first-day return of unprofitable companies has on average exceeded the first-day return of profitable companies over the last 41 years. However, unprofitable companies have only had higher first-day returns in 17 of those 41 years (approximately 41% of the time).

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
RDDT is open and wow. Opened at 46 and popped right away to 57. Hell of a profit if you got in on IPO.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
And not even 20 days later, heartache turns to glee (if you held):

View attachment 175777
View attachment 175778

Hats off to those who can handle the ups/downs...but if you're playing with other people's money, is it a little easier?

Hmmm, is there a pill that can reduce my empathy/sympathy I can take that doesn't have negative side effects? Would need to be stronger than a 3 martini lunch.

Oh, looks like MU did well with their quarterly report.
You jerk off? How many times a week?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
RDDT is open and wow. Opened at 46 and popped right away to 57. Hell of a profit if you got in on IPO.
yup, wish i'd bought more than 50 shares. woulda, should, coulda. oh well, sold 30 shares at $55 and i'll let the other 20 shares run. love playing with house money :cheers:

• Love
Reactions: Mr Doof and r32

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You jerk off? How many times a week?

The empathy/sympathy reduction pill takes away the gallant reflex? If so, going to have pass.

But if you're making a point about me asking R32 about a public declaration, why not enquire how it goes? At best, we all gain some knowledge, at worst (for me anyway), he keeps mum and I get to wonder.

Last edited:

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Watching RDDT and studying it against COIN IPO.

COIN started at 400 and had a massive dump all the way down to 30. And now it's back up to 270. Completely different animal than Reddit, but hoping for a similar dump and pump.

1711043500040.png

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
The empathy/sympathy reduction pill takes away the gallant reflex? If so, going to have pass.

But if you're making a point about me asking R32 about a public declaration, why not enquire how it goes? At best, we all gain some knowledge, at worst (for me anyway), he keeps mum and I get to wonder.
I jerk off at least twice a day. Once in the morning, right after I work out. And then once right after lunch. Pop off to the bathroom, work one out any time you can. When you get really good at it, you'll fucking be stroking and you'll be thinking about money.

• Haha
Reactions: r32 and Mr Doof

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
LCID boosting EV stocks today with $1b new funding from Saudi investor Ayar.

Other stocks pumping too. All green in the first 30m.

Even RDDT is up 10%+ from 44 to 50.

1711376313105.png

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
COIN had a huge dump at the same time all other tech/fintech stocks and crypto did: from Nov 2021 through the Fed rate increases. COIN was especially hampered by the association with crypto, which went toxic and into winter after FTX fell apart.
Reddit has $800+ mm in revenue and basically no debt. It's not profitable, but that comes from sinking half its revenues into R&D and paying out its CEO an ungodly sum this last FY. It has two major avenues for money: ads, which it has struggled to monetize in relation to other social media platforms even though it has more active users, and data. Data is huge for Reddit. It's a repository of natural language writing on just about any subject that AI can mine, not to mention pictures and video; ChatGPT was essentially built of Reddit posts training it. Reddit has taken in about $200mm from AI data sales. Because Reddit is pseudonymous, it has a built in advantage for LLM training - it doesn't have GDPR PII compliance concerns to the same extent other social media platforms do. It's also, frankly, the best crowdsourced place to find answers to questions about subjects you're not an expert in, which drives more engagement.

I bought RDDT in the pre-IPO offering and may dump it soon for quick profit, but wouldn't be surprised to see it do well long term. If anything, I expect it to drop in May and again in six months when tranches of common stock lockups end.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
It's also, frankly, the best crowdsourced place to find answers to questions about subjects you're not an expert in, which drives more engagement.
Yup, Reddit really has no competition for what it does. And the ads practically sell themselves - whether you make refrigerators or widgets, you are going to want to reach r/appliances or r/widgets or whatever.
I bought RDDT in the pre-IPO offering and may dump it soon for quick profit, but wouldn't be surprised to see it do well long term. If anything, I expect it to drop in May and again in six months when tranches of common stock lockups end.
the most negative things you hear about Reddit's prospects will generally come from somebody who got unfairly banned from a subreddit 6 years ago and is still mad at the mod who did it :roflmao:

I took a little profit and held a few shares back just to see, but I'm sure it's going to do fine in the long run. That being said, I can't see a reason for it to go any higher ATM until at least it has an earnings report. NFA, I'm usually wrong short-term. :nana: