How’s the stock market?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Why pick a stock when you can pick a diversified index? ah, nevermind.
Some people think they're smart enough to beat the house.
It takes a market (of competing ideas/actions) to make a market.

But yeah, my 401k is where my real money is and that is low cost index/sector stuff, though I do like the fantasy stock game playing.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
GRRR

I've got an average buy price of 0.63. They beat earnings last time around, which caused the 165% spike on Feb 5, and followed that up with 50% dump to 0.67.

Analysts who are mostly wrong imho have this rated as a strong buy with targets in the $4 - 7 range. Has to get back above $1 soon, or risk delisting from NASDAQ. Going on 18 days below $1.00 again. Last time this happened was November when NASDAQ sent a notice to the company warning their stock might get delisted.

Next earnings is April 2 or 3.

15m - showing earnings pump on Feb 5.

1710193716262.png

Daily showing some big pump and dump action.

1710193727442.png

Weekly - this stock has been a dump fest.

1710193746764.png

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1710260834816.png

See chart above. Looking for orange (take profit 1) and purple (take profit 2). Both are trendlines, so the price at both those areas depends on how much time it takes to slide. If it slid hard on Monday, 935-ish (orange) and 840-ish for purple. But if slides slower, would hit both those lines higher. Will check EMA but i rarely trade off those.
What is margin interest for these short positions?

1710260989859.png

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
View attachment 175028

What is margin interest for these short positions?

View attachment 175029
I use thinkorswim from TD which is now owned by Schwab.

Schwab Margin Rates

Price bounced back to my entry zone and rejected again. Waiting patiently to see if we get a real drop again.

====

GRRR having a vote on a reverse stock split. I was hoping April 2 earnings would be good and we get another big jump. But they looking at reverse stock split, most likely to avoid delisting. May have to offload this one. Currently about 6 cents above my average price.

====

Reactions: Mr Doof

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I use thinkorswim from TD which is now owned by Schwab.

Schwab Margin Rates

Price bounced back to my entry zone and rejected again. Waiting patiently to see if we get a real drop again.

====

GRRR having a vote on a reverse stock split. I was hoping April 2 earnings would be good and we get another big jump. But they looking at reverse stock split, most likely to avoid delisting. May have to offload this one. Currently about 6 cents above my average price.

====

i'm also a Schwab customer - did you migrate from Schwab/SSE to TOS? i know i have to do so soon coz Street Smart Edge is going away shortly. i never minded SSE but i've heard day traders were not fond of it.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
i'm also a Schwab customer - did you migrate from Schwab/SSE to TOS? i know i have to do so soon coz Street Smart Edge is going away shortly. i never minded SSE but i've heard day traders were not fond of it.
I was with TD for years on ToS and migrated to Schwab. So far it's good. Don't really notice any differences. I only use ToS though and not any of the financial services like mutual fund offerings, 401k, etc.

Been using ToS since 2019 I think? It's pretty complex software. There are so many damn bells and whistles it's mind blowing. I probably use about 1/100th of the tools on it, but constantly trying to learn more features.

Reactions: sussle

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I was with TD for years on ToS and migrated to Schwab. So far it's good. Don't really notice any differences. I only use ToS though and not any of the financial services like mutual fund offerings, 401k, etc.

Been using ToS since 2019 I think? It's pretty complex software. There are so many damn bells and whistles it's mind blowing. I probably use about 1/100th of the tools on it, but constantly trying to learn more features.
Right, I'm coming the other way, from Schwab. I don't trade as actively as I used to, so my appetite for the learning curve is not what it used to be. But I'm going to have to migrate to TOS pretty soon and won't be able to go back once I do. I think they have a TOS sandbox of sorts to play in, before going live, so that's helpful. Outside of the basics, I do like to set up conditional orders - " if ABC stock does this, then do that, like this" - but that's about as fancy as I get these days.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
So if margin interest is this:

1710350427096.png

And it is compounded like this:

1710350464228.png

Then you have the cash (in the account) to cover the short price, so you don't actually have to pay margin loan fees, right? Because otherwise, that gets expensive fast, yes?

But this is me, I have issues with debt....

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I have Schwab for Simple IRA. I want to like them MOAR, but they didn't produce a tax form when I sort of expect one even though I have no distributions, and speaking of distributions, last week I got two emails that my retirement distribution was under review and I had to spend 20-30 minutes going through phone system/hold/authentication/discussion/etc. to find it was a clerical error or something.

Why don't you want one of the riskiest stoke meerkat plays possible with daily compounding interest? It's not like shorting is only for people who own SEC employees or for one guy who runs a boutique hedge fund to make a predatory move against a domestic business and have to bring in CNBC, the SEC, the platforms, and the NYSE to screw over a reddit group that noticed an ill-advised and illegal play?

I mean, who the hell complies with the naked shorting rule? What are you, some kind of boy scout? You think the platforms are in on the take and operate under a rules for thee/not for me paradigm? C'mon, Jack!

• Love
Reactions: Mr Doof and r32

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Why don't you want one of the riskiest stoke meerkat plays possible with daily compounding interest? It's not like shorting is only for people who own SEC employees or for one guy who runs a boutique hedge fund to make a predatory move against a domestic business and have to bring in CNBC, the SEC, the platforms, and the NYSE to screw over a reddit group that noticed an ill-advised and illegal play?

I mean, who the hell complies with the naked shorting rule? What are you, some kind of boy scout? You think the platforms are in on the take and operate under a rules for thee/not for me paradigm? C'mon, Jack!

1710370234726.png

1710370273645.png

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
So if margin interest is this:

View attachment 175120

And it is compounded like this:

View attachment 175121

Then you have the cash (in the account) to cover the short price, so you don't actually have to pay margin loan fees, right? Because otherwise, that gets expensive fast, yes?

This was my first short on ToS since being moved to Schwab, but I assume it works mostly the same as it did with TD. If you exit trade some day, no fee. But if you hold overnight, there are fees. I should probably verify this before shorting again.

With TD yes, if you don't want to pay margin interest, need to have extra funds in your account. Basically you're paying for settlement up front on the trade. I always have extra money in my account so that's not a problem.

Reactions: Mr Doof