Home gym gear review thread

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
A lot of the Russian/Eastern European philosophy of kill yourself every day was possible mostly through their drug regimen, huh?
And on point nutrition and I’m assuming a ridiculous amount of sleep. High level athletes sleep a lot. And take naps.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
A lot of the Russian/Eastern European philosophy of kill yourself every day was possible mostly through their drug regimen, huh?
For sure. Plus they don't have professional sports like the US does. Why would a guy with a chance to play in the NFL monkey around with lifting. The US has never sent it's best athletes to the Olympics.... or the to soccer field or even hockey. It's why US women athletes over perform at the Olympics vs men. They don't have options so the Olympics gets Americas best.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
There's no minimum threshold for benefit. Some is always better than none. If fun builds activity to training adherence that's the most important thing. If at some time you get to a point were you develop a thirst for a specific training goal you can make changes accordingly.

For me, I can't train without a goal. Sometimes the goal is a PR...others it's hitting rep ranges. When the inner bitch is strong sometimes just getting work done is the goal.
Screwing around definitely doesn’t produce optimal results but it does produce results. It’s better than nothing especially when you do it every day. Especially when you have a super simple template that you can plug and play with. Some days you might check off all four boxes. Others you might just concentrate on one ala 20 mins of just sandbag squats, KB swings, pull-ups, etc or a combination of whatever you feel like doing that day.
In general there’s perfect and then there’s good enough. I’m a big fan of good enough. I’m also a big fan of not having to: remember a lot crap every time I work out (like sets and reps), monkey around with bars and plates for every lift, etc. The simplicity of the tool calls me to it along with the intangible. If I knew nothing more about squats than what my eyes told me I’d pick Zerchers. I fell in love with Farmer’s Walks as a child watching that event break men before my eyes on TV, you could just tell it was the gnarliest. Sandbags are the oldest form of weight training. Kettlebells are rad just like anything “Russian”. If some scary looking Slav dude is doing it, especially if he’s outside an apartment bldg doing it with sh!t he made himself IMO something tells me it’s legit and I want to try it.

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
These are great for hypertrophy because you can just move out or in from the anchor point to adjust the resistance to get the target rep range. They also help you feel the muscles better.
I like the Rogue bands also:

I've heard the Bodylastics are good and you can more-easily change the resistance with their clip system.

Racks

I have the Rogue R3 and like it. My neighbor has teh RM?-3W fold-back wall mount rack and likes it. No pins, but TBH I don't use mine much anymore.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
i cant imagine needing a gym right now. Im surfing 4-5 days a week. Im exhausted. Almost too tired to fuck.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i cant imagine needing a gym right now. Im surfing 4-5 days a week. Im exhausted. Almost too tired to fook.
Don't need it now. It's spring and summer that are mostly garbage around here. Just got back from the beach, if all year were like the last 3 weeks I probably wouldn't lift much either.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
my turns are stronger bc i've been strength training. echo bike seems to help with the sprint paddling to catch waves. when i don't strength train i can feel it in my surfing.
We don't need to spread this information around. The lineup is crowded as it is without everyone developing more paddle power mkay?

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
fwiw, bought this bench for about $90 last December for my kid and me...i like the option of incline/decline/flat (6 positions) for a wide variety of stuff and am quite pleased with the way this has worked out. lightweight, stores easy, and completely functional at all angles (unlike many home benches that particularly don't seem to have the ergonomics of decline correct). been used 3 times per week since and has held up pretty for well for the money. ymmv

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
fwiw, bought this bench for about $90 last December for my kid and me...i like the option of incline/decline/flat (6 positions) for a wide variety of stuff and am quite pleased with the way this has worked out. lightweight, stores easy, and completely functional at all angles (unlike many home benches that particularly don't seem to have the ergonomics of decline correct). been used 3 times per week since and has held up pretty for well for the money. ymmv

You are a brave man. My experience with counterfeit Chinese products on Amazon is that the mfg quality is highly variable and getting worse.
1602689259956.png
Glad it worked for you. I think an adjustable bench is essential, but good ones are usually $600. I found a used one on CL made 30 years ago.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
You are a brave man. My experience with counterfeit Chinese products on Amazon is that the mfg quality is highly variable and getting worse.
View attachment 99256
Glad it worked for you. I think an adjustable bench is essential, but good ones are usually $600. I found a used one on CL made 30 years ago.
well, I knew going in I was never gonna spend $500+ for a gym quality bench (and this was pre-pandemic - they are probably zero available used now). and yeah, i saw that, but when i looked at that vid (and how he was using it) and then compared his experience to 90% of the other buyers, i went for it anyway. 10 months later with steady use, no regrets, it's cheap but serviceable, ymmv.

and speaking of pre-pandemic, stopped into Play It Again Sports for the first time in a year to picked up some barbells (my 11 y/o is definitely ready for some 20's, maybe 25's) - used to be a vast selection available but not anymore. you could maybe pick up some 40's and 50's, but those days are behind me and far in front of my boy. :giggle:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
well, I knew going in I was never gonna spend $500+ for a gym quality bench (and this was pre-pandemic - they are probably zero available used now). and yeah, i saw that, but when i looked at that vid (and how he was using it) and then compared his experience to 90% of the other buyers, i went for it anyway. 10 months later with steady use, no regrets, it's cheap but serviceable, ymmv.
Again, I'm glad it worked but counterfeit goods also have counterfeit reviews. I haven't linked any Amazon products for that reason.

and speaking of pre-pandemic, stopped into Play It Again Sports for the first time in a year to picked up some barbells (my 11 y/o is definitely ready for some 20's, maybe 25's) - used to be a vast selection available but not anymore. you could maybe pick up some 40's and 50's, but those days are behind me and far in front of my boy. :giggle:
Some people make weights out of concrete and rebar.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Again, I'm glad it worked but counterfeit goods also have counterfeit reviews. I haven't linked any Amazon products for that reason.

Some people make weights out of concrete and rebar.
wait a sec...ok, cheap weight bench, got it (and i have no idea where it's made, but sure, probably China) - but how is this product counterfeit? when you say counterfeit, you're saying there is a higher quality genuine Gymenist weight bench out there and this is a knock-off of that - give me a link to the real thing, please coz i could't find it.

and btw, largely agree with you on the value of reviews...had this point emphasized to me very recently coz i'm in the middle of a disastrous LG refrigerator experience that has great reviews everywhere but is actually on the edge of a class-action lawsuit.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
wait a sec...ok, cheap weight bench, got it (and i have no idea where it's made, but sure, probably China) - but how is this product counterfeit? when you say counterfeit, you're saying there is a higher quality genuine Gymenist weight bench out there and this is a knock-off of that - give me a link to the real thing, please coz i could't find it.
Generally, the products that show up in your Amazon search are knock-offs of the same product sold under a different brand, often made with lower quality to improve margins. This is one type of counterfeit. The other type is products sold under a brand name that weren't made by the brand. Then there are the products that are just plain junk. Gymenist might be a legit brand with poor/no QC. I'm guessing it's a rip-off of this:

and btw, largely agree with you on the value of reviews...had this point emphasized to me very recently coz i'm in the middle of a disastrous LG refrigerator experience that has great reviews everywhere but is actually on the edge of a class-action lawsuit.
Your guess is as good as mine as to where to buy good products nowadays. I think this is why most people are buying stuff through Costco or through a manufacturer's website.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
I’ve learned all I need is: a bar and weight, and some rubber horse stall mat and plywood to protect my garage floor. So that’s my garage gym gear review.

I quit my gym membership and slowly accumulated Olympic bar plates/weights as I‘ve come across since they’re so hard to find for a reasonable price these days. I was mainly doing squats and bench press at the gym but now I don’t have garage space for a bench or rack and have learned I’m satisfied doing deadlifts, power cleans, overhead press, rows—or some variations. I’m enjoying the minimalism/simplicity. I’ve hit PRs for deadlift and press, which has been keeping me motivated to train more, and I just do some power cleans and rows for extra exercise. I still surf every chance I can, to keep it surf related.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
satisfied doing deadlifts, power cleans, overhead press, rows—or some variations.
Whoa. This has been my exact routine as well for a couple of months. I did the same, bought a 5 ft axle bar (basic thick bar) because it was all that was available and a few bumpers. Started accumulating more plates and another bar after that.

Finally got my rack and bench, so I'm stocked to be able to add bench and squat variations beack in.

Reactions: tacos