Home gym gear review thread

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A new type of adjustable dumbbell. This review is on YouTube, so it constitutes "YouTube research". Close your browser if you can't handle it.

I have the Ironmasters and while they are durable as hell and have great ergonomics, they're kind of a PITA to change weights.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
A new type of adjustable dumbbell. This review is on YouTube, so it constitutes "YouTube research". Close your browser if you can't handle it.

I have the Ironmasters and while they are durable as hell and have great ergonomics, they're kind of a PITA to change weights.
They look good. I've owned all of the big 3, sold the ironmasters 90s & powerblock 50s and returned the Bowflex 1090s. Agreed on changing the plates with the ironmasters. The bowflex had a great design in theory with 5 pound increments and quick plate changes but they were crap in terms of durability.

Looks like these are merge the best aspects of the ironmasters and the bowflex. Will be interesting to see how they hold up longterm. If the mechanism that changes and holds the plates is made of a durable material it should be good. The bowflex's were made of plastic and broke easily, leading to the plates falling out. Fookin garbage.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
With your new pecs and that view, you're going to be pulling even more chicks.

Let's talk about the Spud Inc pulley system. I like it, but I don't like the steel cable. The wires on mine are starting to part and stabbing me. I bet I can just replace them with some double-braid towing rope which has minimal stretch.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
They look good. I've owned all of the big 3, sold the ironmasters 90s & powerblock 50s and returned the Bowflex 1090s. Agreed on changing the plates with the ironmasters. The bowflex had a great design in theory with 5 pound increments and quick plate changes but they were crap in terms of durability.

Looks like these are merge the best aspects of the ironmasters and the bowflex. Will be interesting to see how they hold up longterm. If the mechanism that changes and holds the plates is made of a durable material it should be good. The bowflex's were made of plastic and broke easily, leading to the plates falling out. Fookin garbage.
Boy are the the Nuobell's expensive though. They're the dumbbell equivalent of an Eleiko barbell.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yeah they're taxed, although not too far off from their competitors. Kinda lame that they only go up to 80 pounds.

I'll probably just buy some olympic handles. I already have the plates.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I don't like the pull of those simple pulley systems.
They're definitely not perfect but they add a lot of exercise variety for YOUR NERVOUS SYSTEM for $100. Your other option is to buy an expensive functional trainer or put in a bunch of anchor points for bands/tubing.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I love a good cable pulley for working out but I need the pulleys to be geared right.

But I support you right to choose a simple inexpensive one.

I have bands but I don't really like.

This could work

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I love a good cable pulley for working out but I need the pulleys to be geared right.

But I support you right to choose a simple inexpensive one.

I have bands but I don't really like.

This could work

I was looking at that. It seems like you should wait for the weight stack version, but you might be able to find a used functional trainer for a comparable price.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

This is the best thing I've seen to hang those.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
This is the best thing I've seen to hang those.
Rogue is legit.
Mine hang in the kitchen doorway. Super low reps high volume = starting to work on L sits

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Best kettlebells for the money. Average dude = 16kg. Add “sfg” and “rkc” to your google searches and you’ll always find fully legit instruction.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Best kettlebells for the money. Average dude = 16kg. Add “sfg” and “rkc” to your google searches and you’ll always find fully legit instruction.
The Kettlebell link makes me wonder how many kettlebell brands come out of the same factory in China. Seen several brands that look exactly the same. I've noticed that with other types of gym gear as well.

I got into kettlebells for a while when lockdown started, but now that I've got a barbell I haven't used them much. I was getting burned out on them. Swings are cool though.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The Kettlebell link makes me wonder how many kettlebell brands come out of the same factory in China. Seen several brands that look exactly the same. I've noticed that with other types of gym gear as well.

I got into kettlebells for a while when lockdown started, but now that I've got a barbell I haven't used them much. I was getting burned out on them. Swings are cool though.
They're probably all made in the same factory. The counterfeits are just re-branded products made in the same factory and sold for less without paying for the NRE. This is how the Chinese put American companies out of business. We're like Charlie Brown running to kick the football and China is like Lucy holding it.

Remember that iPhones and Android phones are made in the same Foxconn factory.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

I like kettlebells for their versatility and the ability to do high rep Olympic lifts. Kettlebell swings, tgus, front squats (or hack) and C+P FTW. Something about them resonates with me Shrug

Someday ima get a barbell to go with a set of monkey bars.

Everything comes from the same factory in China lol

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I like kettlebells for their versatility and the ability to do high rep Olympic lifts. Kettlebell swings, tgus, front squats (or hack) and C+P FTW. Something about them resonates with me Shrug

Someday ima get a barbell to go with a set of monkey bars.
Yeah I hear you. They're certainly versatile and have their niche. Although I feel like I'm doing cardio with weights when I use them. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, although I don't find it to be a great form of strength training.

Everything comes from the same factory in China lol
Haha for sure. I noticed it with the gym gear and I've really started taking a closer look with other stuff. I was looking to buy some folding lawn chairs and I saw at least 4-6 "brands" on Amazon that were literally the exact same chair with the same marketing images. LOLZ

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Speaking of kettlebell, here's another option for doing hip swings but you need 25 lb plates:

I am also a fan of the Brute Belt:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
got some stuff for a garage gym at the beginning of the shutdown, Rogue barbell, pull-up bar, etc, the Rogue stuff took forever to ship.

Looked for squat stands, everything was sold out, ended up buying one of these, drove up to OC to pick it up. Made in the USA.

but ya most kettlebells are for sure made in China