Hawaii- Done

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
you know you're an old fart when you are just sitting biding your time in the lineup at ovarocks in poipu and the hotel surf instructor feels so sorry for you that he asks you "eh uncle, you want me push you into a wave?"
Usually it's just "go uncle go"

My brother will never let me off the hook for that one.

Almost as bad as when years before I was sitting on my devil nose picklefork in middle of the pack at the bowl in the bay and a stand up paddler passing by yells, "uncle you stay riding your board backwards" and the lineup erupts in laughter.

the proliferation of aloha not so much now but in the olden days up through the 50's lots of freewheeling on both side. Women and men fooled around allot, gotta "spread da aloha" if you know what I mean. When half the kids in your family don't look related, you know there's been some extra ho'omalimali going on. The worse is being contacted by people you don't know wanting to conduct a DNA test with you. Hanai and calabash were there for reasons. Like they say here, in some ways we are all related if you go back far enough.
Always wanted to ride a pickle fork board. Seen a dude in San Diego absolutely ripping on one once

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
who wants to pass as young?

it's the crazy ones with the daddy issues that go in a second without even knowing your name or status, nor caring to ask after either.

passing as young is a no go with them.

:dancing::dancing::dancing:

and highly overrated imho, if it's action you are still in the game after.

ymmv tho.

Re: Hawaii, does the whole "second family" thing happen there often? Out here in the Canary Islands a very good share of middle aged, and over, men keep "second families" after getting a teenager pregnant. Not uncommon for said teen to be related even. My neighbor has a child by his cousins daughter which they're "passing off" as her husband's kid. She's married to a blonde guy, and is blonde herself, kid's the spitting image of my neighbor... Dark hair, eyes, skin, same hook nose, same physical build, etc...

Pervy as it may seem, I often get asked why I don't do the same with a young girl when asked out with folks like these I mentioned. I get the feeling they think less of me, because I have the financial capacity to do so, but don't. It's a cultural thing here, a huge part of the machismo.

Crazy engrained into society. Some guy just kidnapped his two daughters after splitting with his wife on Tenerife when he felt he was about to lose custody. The older girls body has been found at sea, anchored to the bottom at 1 km depth in a gym bag. The younger girl and the dad are still missing, presumed also dead, but maybe he's taken her and is on the lamb as he certainly has the means to do so. Can you believe I overheard the local guys (these 2 family types) at the bar this Sunday saying the mother must have done something really bad to "deserve" that? Deserve? I mean what the actual fook man?

I digress... My question is, is the machismo present in Hawaii and the Hawaiian culture? I would think, the way it's portrayed outwardly at least, that the women play a huge fundamental and vitally important role. So, most likely not. But still curious about this.

It's clearly insecurities at root of the stuff locally here. The same kind of ignorance that breeds racism. Ugly underside of "humanity".
All the guys I know with "two families" are cops or prison guards. Side moms are all nurses. Everyone seems okay with the arrangement.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Wife?

I mean, I don't even have any kids with the first one, why on gods green earth would ANYONE want a second?

Never quite understood those mormon folks and their polygamy thing. Seems like a scam to me!

:socrazy::shrug::socrazy:

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I read about half of the Koran, a 1932 translation. My favorite part was where it said "Multiple wives are permitted but not recommended".

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I read about half of the Koran, a 1932 translation. My favorite part was where it said "Multiple wives are permitted but recommended".
I remember eavesdropping a conversation as a kid between this high-roller Arab and a couple other people and the subject of multiple wives came up as he had many. Said it was a gigantic headache since "if you buy one a Mercedes, you have to buy all of them a Mercedes because otherwise you'll NEVER hear the end of it". Sounded like more stress than it was worth.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni and PJ

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Where’s that? Growing up I surfed every spot in Poipu.
to the left of I believe Waiohai? there's a left that breaks right on top this boulder before it hits dry reef.
You have to sit/stand on or just infront of the boulder and take off during the suckout.
Reminds me of some of those spots Mason surfs
Pretty tricky, saw a local girl SUPing that face planted on that boulder/reef and ended up with smashed face.

The surf instructor called it "ovarocks" which made sense.
I had my plusone assym 8' midlength that didn't like that takeoff a shortboard would've been better for a no paddle take off.
Hardly anyone was surfing there and the other spot had like 30+ people packed in
The reef was bad on that side, you didn't want to get sucked in there.
The wave wasn't anywhere as good as the other spot but it had less people.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
to the left of I believe Waiohai? there's a left that breaks right on top this boulder before it hits dry reef.
You have to sit/stand on or just infront of the boulder and take off during the suckout.
Pretty tricky, saw a local girl SUPing that face planted on that boulder/reef and ended up with smashed face.

I had my plusone assym 8' midlength that didn't like that takeoff a shortboard would've been better for a no paddle take off.
Hardly anyone was surfing there and the other spot had like 30+ people packed in

I first learned to surf at Waiohai. I guess it was before I knew how to kick-out but I remember once getting too close to the rocks there and running aground, speaking of such things. Deep gashes on the bottom of the board but I don't recall getting hurt. Never did that again, although coincidently I came close yesterday at the point in Ventura.

That left used to be called 'left left'. Fun little wave.

Reactions: sponge

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Lived in Poipu in the early 1990's at the Waikomo Stream apts and surfed Waiohai a lot and I did, run into the submerged rock at the end of the wave on the inside. :foreheadslap::roflmao:Fun little nose riding wave.
Never saw a descent wave come off the "rock / boulder." to the left of Waiohai. Really just more of a splash up against it and swell fade a way into deeper water and no reef to carry a wave.
"Centers" was always a fun place to surf or listen to the asphalt chatter by the bathroom.
Loved watching the chaos of bigger days at Acid Drops.

Reactions: Mr Doof

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Loved watching the chaos of bigger days at Acid Drops.
Used to hardly ever see local guys surf there unless it got big, and then they'd drop-in on the haole kid like I wasn't even there. I'd eat it, leash would break, and then swim the channel hoping to get the board before the current took it too far or it hit the rocks. Favorite spot on the south side though. There and shipwreck, a fun hollow little wave that you could only get to by cane road or hiking in.

Last edited:

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
this has been happening allot the past 2-3 years
lost a good friend who appeared in excellent health (surfing everyday) last year the same way
just dies in the lineup on his board (massive heart attack)

Surfer, 58, found unresponsive in ocean off Ala Moana Beach Park

An unresponsive surfer was found in the waters of the surf break known as Rock Piles off the shoreline at Ala Moana Beach Park this morning, according to the Honolulu Emergency Services Department.
The 911 call came in around 8:30 a.m., HESD said in a news release.
Surfers helped to bring the 58-year old man closer to shore while attempting cardiopulmonary resuscitation while Honolulu Ocean Safety and the Honolulu Fire Department also responded.
Lifeguards brought the surfer to the sand, where they continued CPR. Honolulu paramedics took over with advanced life-saving treatment and transported the man in critical condition to an emergency room.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
lost a good friend who appeared in excellent health (surfing everyday) last year the same way
Happened to a good friend of mine Christmas Eve day 2007. Another friend died on second base in the middle of a softball game, his wife and four kids in the stands watching. So sad. But I gotta say the good thing about a massive heart attack is that from all accounts you're dead before you hit the ground. I say bring it on.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I know who this guy is. Some here might know him too. It happened at Bowls. I left just before he paddled out and got an email in our FS group thread from one of the surfers that pulled him out and gave aid. Don’t want to give his ID just yet. He’s alive and they’re going to chill him so he wakes up slowly. Not sure the procedure but that’s the smattering of info I’ve gotten. You can see it on the Surfline rewind cam around 8:20 this morning.

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com

Seen that spot going nuts with some body boarders charging. They were calling it nukes at the time in front of nukumoi surf shop. I body whomped brennecckes , surfed waiohai and surfed with a Local dentist somewhere else.

Reactions: Subway

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I know who this guy is. Some here might know him too. It happened at Bowls. I left just before he paddled out and got an email in our FS group thread from one of the surfers that pulled him out and gave aid. Don’t want to give his ID just yet. He’s alive and they’re going to chill him so he wakes up slowly. Not sure the procedure but that’s the smattering of info I’ve gotten. You can see it on the Surfline rewind cam around 8:20 this morning.
Wow, heavy footage! Hope he pulls thru!

Reactions: teeroi

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
HI not done. Surfed head high fun surf with old friend yesterday, just us, and scrounged some fun ones bodysurfing at half point this am. Monk seal was sizing me up for a brief moment out there, again, no one else.

Reactions: Boneroni and teeroi