Hawaii- Done

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
yup Alema Leota
I had Nappy up for a while
Next is Larry, see how many recognize that one.
went to school with Cory RIP, learned hula from Wilfred Pulawa and did a concert at McNeil for Nappy
underground hero timeline. Nappy>Alema>Larry>Miske
was using Joe earlier, surprised none of the surf crew recognized him
Is miske related to any of the older heavies?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I love centers, the bay and kalapaki are my go to over there
the original country surfboards shop, interisland, cippy's and progressive expressions surf shops were my all time fave hang outs to talk story. Same for Chuck Dent's shop in Huntington. Kind of like sitting in the lineup talking design with Ben or George.

Last edited:
Reactions: sponge

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
Is miske related to any of the older heavies?
some of the guys working for him did and I think he had connections.
It's a giant self perpetuating circle of pain
it's always money and power
the worst are the non-criminal, criminals behind the scenes manipulating everything
not the ones that get the notoriety
I thought about Lincoln, but these guys were the smartest as all great Dons are

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
outside reefs blowing up all weekend
pretty powerful swell
should have some residual through next week
wall to wall cars, tents and peeps this weekend
surprised there hasn't been any drownings with all the helicopter hiking rescues (1-2 a day) they've been doing. No rescues numbers either

• Wow
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Wait until one of them unironically calls you Uncle and you then realize that you're now an old guy that has kids. lol
It hurts at first but you warm up to it, it's been years for me now.

So weird how you can have kids in college and still operate under the delusion that you are perceived as a sexual entity to anyone under 35

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
all of a sudden the idea that you can pass as young is absurd and just plain creepy lmao

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
who wants to pass as young?

it's the crazy ones with the daddy issues that go in a second without even knowing your name or status, nor caring to ask after either.

passing as young is a no go with them.

:dancing::dancing::dancing:

and highly overrated imho, if it's action you are still in the game after.

ymmv tho.

Re: Hawaii, does the whole "second family" thing happen there often? Out here in the Canary Islands a very good share of middle aged, and over, men keep "second families" after getting a teenager pregnant. Not uncommon for said teen to be related even. My neighbor has a child by his cousins daughter which they're "passing off" as her husband's kid. She's married to a blonde guy, and is blonde herself, kid's the spitting image of my neighbor... Dark hair, eyes, skin, same hook nose, same physical build, etc...

Pervy as it may seem, I often get asked why I don't do the same with a young girl when asked out with folks like these I mentioned. I get the feeling they think less of me, because I have the financial capacity to do so, but don't. It's a cultural thing here, a huge part of the machismo.

Crazy engrained into society. Some guy just kidnapped his two daughters after splitting with his wife on Tenerife when he felt he was about to lose custody. The older girls body has been found at sea, anchored to the bottom at 1 km depth in a gym bag. The younger girl and the dad are still missing, presumed also dead, but maybe he's taken her and is on the lamb as he certainly has the means to do so. Can you believe I overheard the local guys (these 2 family types) at the bar this Sunday saying the mother must have done something really bad to "deserve" that? Deserve? I mean what the actual fook man?

I digress... My question is, is the machismo present in Hawaii and the Hawaiian culture? I would think, the way it's portrayed outwardly at least, that the women play a huge fundamental and vitally important role. So, most likely not. But still curious about this.

It's clearly insecurities at root of the stuff locally here. The same kind of ignorance that breeds racism. Ugly underside of "humanity".

• Wow
Reactions: PJ

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
you know you're an old fart when you are just sitting biding your time in the lineup at ovarocks in poipu and the hotel surf instructor feels so sorry for you that he asks you "eh uncle, you want me push you into a wave?"
Usually it's just "go uncle go"

My brother will never let me off the hook for that one.

Almost as bad as when years before I was sitting on my devil nose picklefork in middle of the pack at the bowl in the bay and a stand up paddler passing by yells, "uncle you stay riding your board backwards" and the lineup erupts in laughter.

the proliferation of aloha not so much now but in the olden days up through the 50's lots of freewheeling on both side. Women and men fooled around allot, gotta "spread da aloha" if you know what I mean. When half the kids in your family don't look related, you know there's been some extra ho'omalimali going on. The worse is being contacted by people you don't know wanting to conduct a DNA test with you. Hanai and calabash were there for reasons. Like they say here, in some ways we are all related if you go back far enough.