Hawaii- Done

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
The problem is that Diamond is a geographer by training, and reduces just about everything to geography.
Geography is destiny.

That's why Inuit are Inuit and Polynesians are Polynesians.

It is a perfectly acceptable academic strategy to ignore the research or conclusions of other historians if they are completely wrong.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What makes them "politically correct?" The problem is that Diamond is a geographer by training, and reduces just about everything to geography. When he ignores evidence, it is usually just history arguments that go against a geographic determinist sort of conclusion. He does very little work with primary sources himself, he just uses (or ignores) the arguments and research of other historians.
He also ignores himself in previous books. The reason there weren't any domesticable animals like horses to repel the Spaniards is because the Asians crossing from the land bridge in Asia ate them to extinction. He says so in another book.
The sweep southward was marked by another drama. When Indian hunters arrived, they found the Americas teeming with big mammals that are now extinct: elephantlike mammoths and mastodonts, ground sloths weighing up to three tons, armadillolike glypt-odonts weighing up to one ton, bear-sized beavers, and sabertooth cats, plus American lions, cheetahs, camels, horses, and many others. Had those beasts survived, today's tourists in Yellowstone National Park would be watching mammoths and lions along with the bears and bison. The question of what happened at that moment of hunters-meet-beasts is still highly controversial among archaeologists and paleontologists. According to the interpretation that seems most plausible to me, the outcome was a "blitzkrieg" in which the beasts were quickly exterminated — possibly within a mere ten years at any given site. If that view is correct, it would have been the most concentrated extinction of big animals since an asteroid collision knocked off the dinosaurs sixty-five million years ago. It would also have been the first of the series of blitzkriegs that marred our supposed Golden Age of environmental innocence, and that have remained a human hallmark ever since.
IOW, it wasn't an accident of geography that there were no horses. As S.C. Gwynne explained in "Empire of the Summer Moon," when the Spaniards re-introduced horses to North America and the Commanches learned to fight on horseback, they stopped the Spaniards' advance northward.

It's not about politics. Unless of course you make it that way.
What caused him to ignore his own earlier arguments that might've veered towards population genetics?

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Yeah isn’t there also a theory gaining some traction that in the 10 or 20 years or so before Columbus fumbled his way into Hispaniola, there was a MASSIVE continental level plague of some sort that killed upwards of 90% of the pre contact Native North American population? like they have found all of this evidence of old plains “cities” that seem like they would be home to tens of thousands of Sioux or whatever. And even trippier: how successful would ANY of the first colonies have been if the native population was 10 times larger? We’d all be typing in Huron or Chumash

Reactions: parkiteric

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Collapse was an attempt to walk back the geographical determinism of Guns Germs and Steel because of the near unanimous chorus of world historians and anthropologists (some of whom went to Punahou!) who offered compelling evidence against Diamond's thesis.

The fact that early migrants across the Bering land bridge hunted the (tiny) North American horse to extinction, and that horses were not reintroduced until Spanish colonization, has no real bearing on Diamond's argument either way.

Population genetics has no bearing either - human beings are human beings.

Diamond argues that geography determines everything - that if, for instance, Hawaiians had iron ore or gold, they would have done the same thing with it the Incas did. That is of course ridiculous. He discounts nearly all human agency - religion, culture, ideology - and argues that these things are simply by products of the soil you end up on (or rock, or sand, or sea). There is so much evidence against this it is hardly worth recounting.

But yes, Diamond got a generation of lay people thinking about history - and that in itself is awesome.

Reactions: Aruka

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Professor Diamond himself addresses the issue of geographical determinism -

"Today, no scholar would be silly enough to deny that culture, history, and individual choices play a big role in many human phenomena. Scholars don’t react to cultural, historical, and individual-agent explanations by denouncing “cultural determinism,” “historical determinism,” or “individual determinism,” and then thinking no further. But many scholars do react to any explanation invoking some geographic role, by denouncing “geographic determinism” and then thinking no further, on the assumption that all their listeners and readers agree that geographic explanations play no role and should be dismissed"

http://www.jareddiamond.org/Jared_Diamond/Geographic_determinism.html

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The fact that early migrants across the Bering land bridge hunted the (tiny) North American horse to extinction, and that horses were not reintroduced until Spanish colonization, has no real bearing on Diamond's argument either way.
Eurasian warhorses were smaller than you might think. Also, lack of domesticable animals is one of Diamond's main arguments for lack of civilizational progress relative to Europeans and their lack of disease resistance.

Population genetics has no bearing either - human beings are human beings.
Why did they call Africa "The White Man's Graveyard?"

But yes, Diamond got a generation of lay people thinking about history - and that in itself is awesome.
Agreed.
Yeah isn’t there also a theory gaining some traction that in the 10 or 20 years or so before Columbus fumbled his way into Hispaniola, there was a MASSIVE continental level plague of some sort that killed upwards of 90% of the pre contact Native North American population? like they have found all of this evidence of old plains “cities” that seem like they would be home to tens of thousands of Sioux or whatever. And even trippier: how successful would ANY of the first colonies have been if the native population was 10 times larger? We’d all be typing in Huron or Chumash
I think European diseases killed them. This is good. This documentary explains:

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Finally got got by the vid. Do not recommend, 0 star experience.

Nice incidental racism from PRCD, lovely stuff.
You seem like you have a strong opinion on this so I’ll put the same questions to you in a different way. Are dark skin and genes for malarial resistance an advantage in the tropics?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
It was a long time ago that I read the book "1491" which as I recall was about, among other things, how smallpox made it to the Americas ahead of the Euros and basically decimated the native population so that when "we" arrived what we found was one of severely reduced numbers. When I read that book in the mid 2000's it was fairly controversial but maybe it is more widely accepted now?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
It was a long time ago that I read the book "1491" which as I recall was about, among other things, how smallpox made it to the Americas ahead of the Euros and basically decimated the native population so that when "we" arrived what we found was one of severely reduced numbers. When I read that book in the mid 2000's it was fairly controversial but maybe it is more widely accepted now?
That’s exactly the book. Good find. I wonder if there has been much further investigation to discover if there was in fact a mass die off before the euros showed up

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
That’s exactly the book. Good find. I wonder if there has been much further investigation to discover if there was in fact a mass die off before the euros showed up
based on a few google searches and reading some reviews of the book it isn't doesn't seem to be currently viewed as overly controversial or disputed. it probably suffers from some of the same flaws as Gun Germs and Steel or similar books that attempt to condense long and complicated histories into easily digestible books for idiots such as myself.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
based on a few google searches and reading some reviews of the book it isn't doesn't seem to be currently viewed as overly controversial or disputed. it probably suffers from some of the same flaws as Gun Germs and Steel or similar books that attempt to condense long and complicated histories into easily digestible books for idiots such as myself.
These authors think an ancestor of smallpox came from north america with camels:

The strain that wiped-out the Americans definitely came from the Euros.