Hawaii- Done

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I did not say it was - it was hard physical labour at minimal compensation, tied to the sugar or pineapple plantation in a serf-like arrangement.

But you did not starve, as you may well have back home on the dry, rocky soil of Ilocos where starving to death was definitely an option and when you became an American citizen, new possibilities emerged to leave plantation life and work in town.

Your children could be educated in public schools and universities, be native English speakers as you never were and if you have noticed, very few Filipinos from Hawaii or the mainland return to The Philippines to live.

The don't mind a vacation as rich balikbayans, where they can lord it over their impoverished relatives, but live there? No way.
I came back from the Philippines with an infection in my knee that could’ve taken my leg, or worse. While in the hospital, the Filipina nurse looked at me like I was nuts and said, “You went to the Philippines on vacation?!”

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I did not say it was - it was hard physical labour at minimal compensation, tied to the sugar or pineapple plantation in a serf-like arrangement.

But you did not starve, as you may well have back home on the dry, rocky soil of Ilocos where starving to death was definitely an option and when you became an American citizen, new possibilities emerged to leave plantation life and work in town.

Your children could be educated in public schools and universities, be native English speakers as you never were and if you have noticed, very few Filipinos from Hawaii or the mainland return to The Philippines to live.

The don't mind a vacation as rich balikbayans, where they can lord it over their impoverished relatives, but live there? No way.
I don't disagree. Life in the Philippines is tough.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
“You went to the Philippines on vacation?!”
To be fair, it is not all poverty and misery in The Philippines. Generally speaking, the further out you get in the provinces from the cities the nicer it is, but correspondingly difficult to earn a cash income. Hence, the moves into town or overseas, just to find a paying job.

Still, very few Filipinos who have lived outside of the country for a period of time would voluntarily return - you get soft living in America, Canada or especially Australia.

surfEXPLORE® The Philippines

Reactions: grapedrink

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location

Thousands of Filipino plantation workers completed their contracts and went home, and thousands applied to do so before their contract was complete due to poor working conditions. This is all well documented in the HSPA records housed in the state archives.

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Thousands of Filipino plantation workers completed their contracts and went home, and thousands applied to do so before their contract was complete due to poor working conditions. This is all well documented in the HSPA records housed in the state archives.
And thousands of ethnic Japanese born in Hawaii or California returned to Japan to fight for the Emperor in WWII - most of them were never heard from again, as they died on islands in the Pacific.

Few people ever mention these Japan returnees in Hawaii, as no one mentions any Filipinos who voluntarily returned to The Philippines before or after their plantation contracts expired -

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
a good pal married a filipina lonely heart...but then he died so she got
the ofront real estate in Maui...which she sold...wonder what she's up
to now?:unsure:

• Love
Reactions: Pico

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
honolulu is stressful
After we came back from our vacation to a friend's timeshare on Oahu, one of my sisters was asking me about Honolulu.

"I didn't got there really, just one afternoon for a walk along the sand."

"You didn't go to any shops or restaurants or clubs?"

"Sis, I live in a cramped urban city, I go on vacation to get away from that sort of stuff."

Actually, I think Honolulu has more people in it than San Francisco.....certainly has the same terrible traffic during rush hour.

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
The parking in honolulu is the stressful part for me.

Driving in it is easy if you grew up here and know which streets which