Hawaii- Done

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
stop whining - most desirable locations are "done."

That's what happens when you have almost 8 billion people on a planet.

byoda

OTF status
Jan 3, 2006
According to my Father, the Hawaii of his youth was "done" in September of 1959. The month the first commercial airline jet service began to Hawaii from the Mainland.
when i moved to hawaii in 1964 we took a prop plane from SF took forever

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Its not getting better ever , but its still a great place with lots of nice friendly people
This is exactly what I conveyed to a buddy this morning as he was literally turning red screaming at tourists to go in and get out of the way. Twas big today, with long long interval. These two specific English duuues were sitting on shortboards futilely trying to scratch into in betweeners and inevitably having them roll under them. But when the set came and we were taking off on the BIG BOARDS from way out the back you had to slalom past these two idiots duck diving the sets, which put you out of position every time for the short cover up to be had when they hit the inside peak well below these doofusses sitting like bouys. He was screaming at them to move to the inside peak cause they were in the way on every single wave.

I paddled over and just mentioned to my friend, "just imagine how the Hawaiians feel, right?". He :roflmao:and went in himself.

You cannot beat "progress".

Luckily, the ones of us who got it when it was good at least have that to fall back on. Just think about "discovering" surfing now as a youth.... Bummer, huh?

:shrug::socrazy::shameonyou::waving::shaka:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah I bet the old days were dope, no doubt, but I also love that in the 21st century I have some of the best surfboard tech ever invented under my feet, the warmest and most flexible wetsuits ever made, and I can jet off at a moments notice to surf any one of entire planet's selection of waves in a day or two, at literally ANY level of comfort level I desire, from a tent, to an air conditioned bure on Tavarua, to the 4 Seasons on Lanai ....or anything in between. we have it SO DAMN GOOD and all we do is whine whine whine. And i'm including myself in this. Somebody tee up the Louis CK clip where "Everything is Amazing, and Nobody's Happy" lol ...."You're hurtling through the sky at 500 miles per hour, at 39,000 feet, IN A CHAIR!'

Last edited:

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
Luckily, the ones of us who got it when it was good at least have that to fall back on. Just think about "discovering" surfing now as a youth.... Bummer, huh?

:shrug::socrazy::shameonyou::waving::shaka:
Well there is still a few places left to discover, all u need to do is avoid the places surf media talks about :) lets hope it stays like this eheh

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Well there is still a few places left to discover, all u need to do is avoid the places surf media talks about :) lets hope it stays like this eheh
The media is getting harder and harder to avoid. Everybody has phones and instagram and the social pressure to stay mum about cool places has pretty much evaporated.

Reactions: PPK96754

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
The Hawaiians I interacted with were so nice to me, when they didn't have to be. (And that is the real measure of a person's character.)
This, so much this. If I was Hawaiian, I would probably be a bitter jerk to tourists and blow-ins.
In Hawaii I'm happy to just be tolerated, but often times have been reached out to and given respect and kindness.
Aloha is real

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
According to my Father, the Hawaii of his youth was "done" in September of 1959. The month the first commercial airline jet service began to Hawaii from the Mainland.
1959 ~ HNl - LAX on a 4 prop, cigar shaped "super connie". LAX was fogged in so we diverted to BURbank. First commercial jet ride was on a Pan American DC-8, LAX to HNL. $75.00. What a time difference between prop and jet, 3 to 3 1/2 hours. "Super 8's, stretch models & 747's were to come later. 727's, 737's, & 737 "Fat alberts" too.
1903 to 2021 ... "we've come a long way baby" in 118 years ~

Hawaii ... still can go

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~