Hawaii- Done

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
God, what I love about hawaii is that you have to be on-guard everywhere. Not in an overly defensive way. Just stay mindful and check yourself, which I think is a really healthy thing to do regardless. I miss that when i come back to mainland. Too many people getting away with ridiculous sh!t completely unchecked. Which makes them more likely to continue the behavior b/c they experience absolutely zero consequences for their actions.

Can we just "Make Bullying Great Again"?
Preach.
I’d love to live in a society where if you showed enough disrespect you got to talk to the hand.
1639181211916.gif

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
God, what I love about hawaii is that you have to be on-guard everywhere. Not in an overly defensive way. Just stay mindful and check yourself, which I think is a really healthy thing to do regardless. I miss that when i come back to mainland. Too many people getting away with ridiculous sh!t completely unchecked. Which makes them more likely to continue the behavior b/c they experience absolutely zero consequences for their actions.

Can we just "Make Bullying Great Again"?
I would always read about this sentiment and it would kind of spook me but I've had a great time in Hawaii. The Hawaiians I interacted with were so nice to me, when they didn't have to be. (And that is the real measure of a person's character.)

I'm always surprised. I'm sure I could have a bad experience but every time I have gone, I've been really impressed.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Same here. And I have a tendency to rub certain types of fragile wannabe alpha males the wrong way, but a little humility and a smile go a long way. Never had problems. Even the stink eye Haole transplants give up their little tough guys acts once they realize I am in fact going and yes I can surf. They sometimes even become polite and strike up conversations, and everyone is intrigued once they hear the New York thing (even though there is a well established Kauai-montauk connection going back decades). The real Hawaiians? I smile and give plenty of space, and they in turn acknowledge the deference shown and I get plenty of waves from the top when it’s my turn or I’m in the spot.

The way that island has established the rules and enforced and emphasized courtesy and respect is pretty impressive, especially how tough that crew was in the 70s and 80s. They’ve struck at least some sort of balance between welcoming the well behaved visitor, while still instilling a bit of fear and mystery so everyone minds their manners. Like, everyone pretty much abides by the no camera rule still….Cant say that for many (populated) tropical surf islands around the world…I mean, you’ll see random kooks with go pros that nobody but grandma will ever watch, but you don’t see large scale pro photog action even when it’s going richter at whatever spot

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
A little humility goes a long way. I live in a town jam packed full of tourists and so whenever I travel anywhere (Hawaii or wherever) I always remember I am a visitor and try hard to act the way I wish tourists here in Santa Barbara would act. Pretty much always get good vibes.

However, 10% of the human race are assholes, so evey now and then you're gonna run in to one wherever you are. Just happens.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Prime example of being a dumb transplant.

Military officer renters moved next door. After a couple weeks he’s screaming at his pregnant wife. Then again calling her names and just yelling at her.

Then they’re always loud past 10 and before 7. Finally my dad has enough and asks them to be quiet one night and the guy tells my dad why don’t you close your windows.

Still to this day they’re shouting across their house at 530 in the morning waking up my kid and have zero consideration for others. Can’t wait to they go back to where they came from.

Parents lived same spot since 1989. These clowns just blow in and act stupid and then wonder why they get called out on it.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I haven't read all the posts, but would rather catch up with a few questions - if I may. And with all due respect please.

When was Hawaii truly "done?"

When Captain Cook arrived?
Peal Harbor?
When dipshit Eddie Rothman wasn't sent back to the mainland?

Sounds like some of you want all the bitchin' First World stuff without the inflated prices or tourists. Good luck with that.

This could be you, without the money, houses, surfboards, and whatever else you are accustomed to. Stop whining and enjoy the ride.

• Haha
Reactions: Barracuda

Barracuda

OTF status
Mar 30, 2013
I haven't read all the posts, but would rather catch up with a few questions - if I may. And with all due respect please.

When was Hawaii truly "done?"

When Captain Cook arrived?
Peal Harbor?
When dipshit Eddie Rothman wasn't sent back to the mainland?

Sounds like some of you want all the bitchin' First World stuff without the inflated prices or tourists. Good luck with that.

This could be you, without the money, houses, surfboards, and whatever else you are accustomed to. Stop whining and enjoy the ride.
Sorry but going on the other extreme is just ridiculous, but hey- perhaps the hawaiians would be better off like that, i mean, theyve lived that way for ages.

Guess they can answer that better then me.

But as someone who lives somewhere with the same problem, we've had tourism for around 40 years now, i love working with it and its much better then being a fisherman. But whats not cool is all these yuppies, hipsters, whatever buying property here for ridiculous prices and acting like they suddenly are from here, while we cant find a place to live.

That only started a decade ago and its no wonder why people dont like it.

Everyone is welcome here, but so should locals, we shouldn't get kicked out of our hometown for them and their hip coffee shops (which tbh, most of the staff wont even speak the language and gets mad at you if you dont speak english, go figure)

So yeah, screw this foreign money as its only screwing us over anw. Same happened in hawaii a few decades back.

Reactions: Boneroni

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yeah, it's probably better if we eliminate the steam engine and ban it ever being invented again in the future.

:roflmao::shameonyou::roflmao:

The past called and asked, "Y U So Cray Cray Boyie?"

:shrug:

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
According to my mother, who arrived in Hawaii in 1946 from the mainland, Hawaii was "done" the day Duke Kahanamoku died on 22 January 1968.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Sorry but going on the other extreme is just ridiculous, but hey- perhaps the hawaiians would be better off like that, i mean, theyve lived that way for ages.

Guess they can answer that better then me.

But as someone who lives somewhere with the same problem, we've had tourism for around 40 years now, i love working with it and its much better then being a fisherman. But whats not cool is all these yuppies, hipsters, whatever buying property here for ridiculous prices and acting like they suddenly are from here, while we cant find a place to live.

That only started a decade ago and its no wonder why people dont like it.

Everyone is welcome here, but so should locals, we shouldn't get kicked out of our hometown for them and their hip coffee shops (which tbh, most of the staff wont even speak the language and gets mad at you if you dont speak english, go figure)

So yeah, screw this foreign money as its only screwing us over anw. Same happened in hawaii a few decades back.
What region of the world, if you don’t mind me asking?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If Hawaii is DONE - North Sentinel is holding.

About those locals - we could ask John Allen Chau, but he's dead.

https://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2018/11/25/escape-north-sentinel-island
I have to say some of the more compelling evidence of deity existence is this recurring first haole contact narrative. It's always someone named Cook or Chau or Stroganoff or something jumps off the boat, tells everyone what to do, then acts surprised when they get cooked or they become chow. Vishnu has a pretty based sense of humor tbh.