Harpers Magazine publishes alt right hate speech treatise, falls on wrong side of history

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My generation was brought up on "Sticks and stones may break your bones but words can never hurt you." I had a fairly well known psychiatrist essentially tell me the same thing. "Nobody can make you feel anything with their words. If you are feeling something it is because you are choosing to feel something. You are deciding how you want to feel. You always have the ultimate control. To be constantly at the mercy of people's careless verbalizations is a sign of instability."

I would love to run into him again and see what he thinks of all this.
I wouldn't say you are deciding how to feel.

It's more like you are deciding how to interpret your feelings.

Kids need to be trained to be robust.

I fear we are not doing that.

Play fighting is fun but it serves a duel purpose.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

That’s why that visionary Al Gore invented the internets. All kids need to do is find a YouTube video and robustness will abound. The beauty is kids don’t have to work hard to find that video, there’s a YouTube influencer out there to help. Now that’s a career path, internets influencer. Money for nothing. What a country!

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That’s why that visionary Al Gore invented the internets. All kids need to do is find a YouTube video and robustness will abound. The beauty is kids don’t have to work hard to find that video, there’s a YouTube influencer out there to help. Now that’s a career path, internets influencer. Money for nothing. What a country!
This is why college can be really good for kids.

It's ironic that the push is to baby the kids.

I get told to really help the kids (provide equity) but make sure I maintain rigor.

But rigor triggers.

The mean PE coach had it right.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019

Well, I don't know what to tell you.

Other than the person with an actual education in the field, plus a career of note, disagreed with you.

Sticks and stones.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I like Blur too though

All of that britpop stuff + weezer was such a relief after grunge

Grunge was like an awakening to me. I think I listened to like Paula Abdul and Bobby Brown and Vanilla Ice before that. And as much I loved and still love Smashing Pumpkins, the Britpop stuff and Weezer and the California punk bands showed me how important pop is. Just like we talked before, take away the 90s distortion on any of those songs and they're just perfectly crafted pop songs. The Blue Album is perfect

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Grunge was like an awakening to me. I think I listened to like Paula Abdul and Bobby Brown and Vanilla Ice before that. And as much I loved and still love Smashing Pumpkins, the Britpop stuff and Weezer and the California punk bands showed me how important pop is. Just like we talked before, take away the 90s distortion on any of those songs and they're just perfectly crafted pop songs. The Blue Album is perfect
I still like Bobby Brown

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Other than the person with an actual education in the field, plus a career of note, disagreed with you.

Sticks and stones.
Tell him to get in line.

Do you think all feelings stem from thoughts?

I don't.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to use your mind to manage your emotions.

You can definitely train your self to be less sensitive to verbal attacks.

But you could have a tumor some where--like in your spine or stomach or brain--and someone calls you fatso and you find yourself crying like a little fat baby girl with a tumor.

In conclusion, self regulation relies on multiple variables. Cognition is just one. An important one, one where you can exercises a lot of control, sure. But there are other factors,

Thanks yo.

PS You should see me when I get around real psychologists.

I'm so annoying.

Like a dog that want to play.

Lots of questions.

It's always like, "Hey, I'm not on the clock looser."

I notice the same thing my own field.

I was talking to presenters from Harvard at a conference (The Rock Stars of Comp) sharing my wisdom and they were like, "Who is this guy?"

I guess I need to curb my enthusiasm.

That is my retard super power to make up for my shitty working memory and lack of industriousness.

I notice that really bright people don't like to do deep processing.

They like to coast on their intellect, which is great if you got it.

I

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Wheezer is like poppy beach boys with that over driven marshal stack.

That is a great sound.

Pinkerton is good too.

It grows on you.

I love that he snorted Ritalin and took two shot of tequila and wrote the song "Hash Pipe" as a song writing experiment.

Drug really can help your art.

But so can sobriety.

You need both.

Chaos and order

I'm going to listen to some Wheezer right now

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

Sticks and stones.
typical psychiatrist interpretation. control/mind centric/pull yourself up with these bootstraps(prescription drugs).

many have made great names for themselves and a lot of money. Bon appetite

Reactions: plasticbertrand

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Tell him to get in line.

Do you think all feelings stem from thoughts?

I don't.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to use your mind to manage your emotions.

You can definitely train your self to be less sensitive to verbal attacks.

But you could have a tumor some where--like in your spine or stomach or brain--and someone calls you fatso and you find yourself crying like a little fat baby girl with a tumor.

In conclusion, self regulation relies on multiple variables. Cognition is just one. An important one, one where you can exercises a lot of control, sure. But there are other factors,

Thanks yo.

PS You should see me when I get around real psychologists.

I'm so annoying.

Like a dog that want to play.

Lots of questions.

It's always like, "Hey, I'm not on the clock looser."

I notice the same thing my own field.

I was talking to presenters from Harvard at a conference (The Rock Stars of Comp) sharing my wisdom and they were like, "Who is this guy?"

I guess I need to curb my enthusiasm.

That is my retard super power to make up for my shitty working memory and lack of industriousness.

I notice that really bright people don't like to do deep processing.

They like to coast on their intellect, which is great if you got it.

I
I agree that some emotions in extreme situations are difficult to impossible for mere mortals to control. However, we have gone SO far the other way. Few even make any attempt at self control anymore. Everything elicits emotion and the emotions are give free reign/nourished as a positive thing. IMO it's bizarre. Lack of emotional control is the "other epidemic."

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
typical psychiatrist interpretation. control/mind centric/pull yourself up with these bootstraps(prescription drugs).

many have made great names for themselves and a lot of money. Bon appetite
Back to your third graders now.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I agree that some emotions in extreme situations are difficult to impossible for mere mortals to control. However, we have gone SO far the other way. Few even make any attempt at self control anymore. Everything elicits emotion and the emotions are give free reign/nourished as a positive thing. IMO it's bizarre. Lack of emotional control is the "other epidemic."
"The bitch made me do it"

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
A lot of this could have been avoided if people spent more time worrying about what was on their own plate and stopped sticking their noses in other people’s business because they don’t know how to entertain themselves.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Over reaction and under reaction are both threats.

Reactions: Driftcoast