Gliders....

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
With the side bites. He sent me his signature 7.5 with it. Still really loose and fast with the 2 plus 1 set up. Gets you in like a glider too. He delivered!!!
how's it go in the micro stuff. you are in Hawaii right? it's a whole different level of mini surf on the US east coast. I'm sure anything waist + would be ok, but high tide under waist high, how's that?

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
how's it go in the micro stuff. you are in Hawaii right? it's a whole different level of mini surf on the US east coast. I'm sure anything waist + would be ok, but high tide under waist high, how's that?
I haven't taken it out in less than chest high plus conditions. If the waves get below waist high., like they are now, I ride my 12'0 Josh Hall Eagle, low or high tide. 6'6/245 Wouldn't say I would struggle struggle on the Elektra but why use it if I have other boards that allow me to surf those smaller waves, especially making it easier to catch. Only got so much time before work. Stu says the board is good from 2 to 20 feet and I don't doubt him. Felt a bit thin when I first picked it up but after the first paddle out and first wave, it was on! My friend who has ridden his boards for the longest time just laughed when we talked about it after that session. Said he was like that at first too. I sure don't doubt SK. Will definitely be in the bag to G Land next year. Again, he delivered.

All this probably doesn't answer your question. Sorry about that. I would say get a hold of him and see what he has to say.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
I need Glider advice. Try different tail set up or go tried and true?

Also, I'm like 150lbs with injury prone shoulders... should i go to like 22" instead of 23" ?

i've had a 10' Eagle with a single-fin and a pin tail. i loved it. busted my arm and sold it.

Now I have a new glider (Ninelights Cork+Wood) on order... 11' glider - but i ordered a baby swallow with a three fin cluster, idea being single or twin or 2+1 option.

I always surf twins better... worried I'm blowing it and should have the order changed back to pin tail....

but then again i like new feelings and i doubt I'm going to feel like an 11' board is lacking in "glide" because of the tail change....

what to do?

Last edited:

moby

Nep status
Nov 10, 2010
Yesterday the sun was out, it was glassy and there was the usual bunches of kooks clogging up 1-3 foot mushy perfection. (is that a contradiction in terms?) I wouldn't have surfed it on a shortboard. You would have had very short rides that consisted mostly of hopping and probably not very many waves. A midsize wouldn't have been much/any better. I went home and went through the hassle of getting the 11' glider out. I went up down the point for hours. Long rides, lots of waves. Some fairly high trim speeds connecting sections that were too mushy to surf with sections that had a little curve in the face. Tons of exercise. It felt good. Very relaxing. Beat the hell out of mowing the lawn and pulling weeds. 11' X 23 1/2" X 4".