Gliders....

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
They actually have a lot of new inventory, a large number of the bigger boards there were new including mine.

One thing that i noticed the minute I got on mine - holy fck longboard ergonomics are poor.

Rotator cuff injury makers!

It's a good reminder to stay on shortboards as long as possible.
Yeah I won’t go 23” wide on anytbing and I imagine my shoulders are wider than yours.

too big a board and it feels like I’m gonna tear my shoulders out.

Reactions: oeste858

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Buzzy and his board look fcuken good, aye!

Fwiw, here are my tips for minimising shoulder wear when on longer boards:
- don't paddle like a loon for anything you might catch
- start your paddling in a 'low gear': shallow, quick strokes with vertical hand position until that heavy board picks up some steam
- focus on good positioning rather than lots of paddling

Not exactly rocket science, but that has worked for me.

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
guys who only ride shortboards have some misconceptions about bigger boards.

covering more ground and catching more waves means you are paddling a lot more.

beach breaks. getting caught inside. can be like alligator wrestling.

next time you get the chance watch the lifeguards paddling rescue boards out into heavy conditions. it'll give you a good idea how to negotiate big boards in the surf zone.

but really for the 26liter boys, all tips and tricks aside, there is no substitute for upper body strength

JTS

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 22, 2004
Maz makes some good points
The first few strokes to get a big board moving can really put some torque on your shoulders/back muscles - get the big boy moving before putting full power into your strokes

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Buzzy and his board look fcuken good, aye!

Fwiw, here are my tips for minimising shoulder wear when on longer boards:
- don't paddle like a loon for anything you might catch
- start your paddling in a 'low gear': shallow, quick strokes with vertical hand position until that heavy board picks up some steam
- focus on good positioning rather than lots of paddling

Not exactly rocket science, but that has worked for me.
agreed. Also try to use the buoyancy of the board as much as possible. This also takes some shoulder strength but I find it much lower effort to bob the board back and launch into a wave than to try and build that speed by paddling.

Reactions: bubbs

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
beach breaks. getting caught inside. can be like alligator wrestling.
Yeah, I don't get the shoulder complaints. Though every once in a while I'll take the longboard out in real surf and it a whole different workout, with getting it out through the surf, paddling all over the place and catching everything. Alligator wrestling! :D

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah, I don't get the shoulder complaints. Though every once in a while I'll take the longboard out in real surf and it a whole different workout, with getting it out through the surf, paddling all over the place and catching everything. Alligator wrestling! :D
I make into more of a sprint to beat the wave before it breaks type workout.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
first not freezing session of the year and my arms are toast. some fun waves but a little to peaky for the 11'0. Anyone having luck with smaller gliders? in the 8-9'0 range? What about smaller?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
yes 8'0 mitsven. Does everything I want it to, including being small enough surf like a midlength from the tail when desired.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
first not freezing session of the year and my arms are toast. some fun waves but a little to peaky for the 11'0. Anyone having luck with smaller gliders? in the 8-9'0 range? What about smaller?
There is some good info on jamboards about gliders .They have ride reports from mini gliders up to the battleships. I think the consensus is that the longer the better for that design

Reactions: Aruka