Glassing

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
So maybe since it did smell, a bit I got PE not Epoxy. Any way to tell?
Did it smell like pe? If so for sure but I don't think so only can tell eps from pu but never heard away to tell resin besides waiting to see if goes brittle or brown etc but some resins are better then others and some have uv others don't:drowning:

Reactions: lofatkilla

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
STRETCH EPOXY starts with a high quality, compression molded EPS foam core with 3-ply Appelcore stringer. It is then custom shaped and sealed with a lightweight finishing compound prior to lamination. It gets a full epoxy glass job using direct sized E-glass, sanded to 600 grit and treated with a teflon acrylic sealant coat known as “Dolphin Skin”. Each board is heat cured to 135ºF to assure optimum structural integrity.
Our “EPOXY” construction has long been considered above industry standard through our intensive production process and with over 40 years of experience with this “alternative construction” method, Stretch Epoxy boards have outperformed and outlasted traditional polyurethane and polyester construction boards.
The default cloth layup is 6oz. bottom with 6oz.+ 4oz. deck using Resin Research epoxy. STRETCH EPOXY construction is an excellent base construction to add options such as wood, cork, deck channels, carbon, stringer types, foam density, cloth adjustments and many other customizable details. Substitutions for ECO-foam and bio-resin are available at no extra charg
Each board is built with either Resin Research PH project 2100 system or Entropy Super Sap Eco Resins. Epoxy is safe, easy to handle and environmentally friendly. Having no VOC release or harmful chemical vapors is enjoyable.
Epoxy has come a long way since the yellow stuff of the past generation. Now they are brighter, whiter, perform better and are optimized for surfboard specific usage. If you ever visit our Santa Cruz HQ, you’ll notice something very unlike traditional surfboard factories. It doesn’t stink! We send out for polyester glassing. Sorry, if you’re looking to sniff fumes then you won’t get it here!

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Did it smell like pe? If so for sure but I don't think so only can tell eps from pu but never heard away to tell resin besides waiting to see if goes brittle or brown etc but some resins are better then others and some have uv others don't:drowning:
I'm not sure I could tell the difference in a PE vs Epoxy smell. I guess time will tell!

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'm not sure I could tell the difference in a PE vs Epoxy smell. I guess time will tell!
After thinking about it for a minute "currently have no pu/pe boards" if you sanded resin and collected dust you could tell by smell:waving: PE still has smell even after cured while epoxy should have no real odor or no PE like odor.

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
I think we all can agree xtr, varial, and stretch make some of the strongest eps(etc)/epoxy boards while some big brands and turd pop ups factory boards not so great and maybe best to stick to pu/pe:shrug:

I think the problem is PE glassers that “dabble” in epoxy… their epoxy glass jobs are inferior bc they’re not done right.

I had a roberts epoxy thAt was glassed in house n bullet-proof.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think the problem is PE glassers that “dabble” in epoxy… their epoxy glass jobs are inferior bc they’re not done right.

I had a roberts epoxy thAt was glassed in house n bullet-proof.
If you diy own epoxy boards you realize how fragile mix is and have to weight ratio with scale to get right. Also trick I learned is to scrap slow with popsycle stick top to bottom for two minutes mix then let sit for 5 minutes to bond correctly before using :waving:

Swallow Tail

Michael Peterson status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
If you diy own epoxy boards you realize how fragile mix is and have to weight ratio with scale to get right. Also trick I learned is to scrap slow with popsycle stick top to bottom for two minutes mix then let sit for 5 minutes to bond correctly before using :waving:
Yeah. It’s different, but not difficult or complicated.

mix ratio is much more critical-digital scale a no brainer. Resin should Be warm ~ 80F, must be mixed thoroughly n work area should be reasonable warm. Much easer to over work the resin n get air bubbles etc

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Yeah. It’s different, but not difficult or complicated.

mix ratio is much more critical-digital scale a no brainer. Resin should Be warm ~ 80F, must be mixed thoroughly n work area should be reasonable warm. Much easer to over work the resin n get air bubbles etc
I have found 70f perfect sweet spot to work with and make sure to keep digital scale clean for accurate measurements using plastic cling or even a bag :cheers:

Reactions: Swallow Tail

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
@PLJ gave me the best advise for mixing resin research epoxy which I highly recommend using for your repairs :cheers:
I use a lot of Resin Research epoxy... In addition to my wood boards, I fiberglass wood skinned glamping trailers (www.homegrowntrailers.com) their wood shower panels and wood fenders... Have laminated, fill coated, sanded and final coated over 20,000 SF in the past four years... We work closely with Fiberglass Supply to perfect the process...

When it comes to dispensing, measuring and mixing, it comes down to a few simple steps... We weigh the resin on a digital scale then add hardener... We multiply the resin weight x 1.44 to get the total mixed resin wight, then add the hardener to get to that total weight... Having a resin weight chart eliminated the need to punch the calculator for every batch... We pour, not pump...Pumps will get stuck and are messy... If you don't hit the hardener weight exactly it is better to have a little less hardener than more... It cures better that way...

Mixing is routine, stir well for three minutes, two minutes is recommended, but we do three.. The next VERY IMPORTANT step is to let the freshly stirred resin sit in the cup for five minutes before applying... This gives the resin time to start the chemical reaction process that reduces the chance of humidity induced curing issues...

Follow those steps and you're good... Have fun...!!!...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Epoxy glassing technique is very different than polyester. You move the resin slowly. One thing I really like is there is very little waste. The photo below is the waste after laminating my deck, a few drops. Nothing in the bucket. The ones that look like big drops are ones were I actually scooped up the drop with a squeegee to wet an air bubble (I can only do this when the paper is brand new, clean). Compare that to the waste of a production polyester glass job.

Also, I don't know why people say you have to be clinical about epoxy ratios. I use the usual measuring cups (never used a scale), am not anal about it and never had issues. Even mixing tiny amounts for ding repairs, where I basically eyeball the 2:1 ratio because the gradations on the cup are too big, I've had no problems.

Finally I will mention with Resin Research CE, there are fast, slow and extra slow hardeners, and you can mix the hardeners to vary the pot life and flip times. Today was hot so I used 100% slow. It gives me all the time I need to do the lam with no hurry, and since I am not planning on doing anything else today the 3 5 hour flip time isn't an issue.

Oh, and you can go back an hour after lamming, when the resin is gummy, like play-doh consistency, and you can wet/squeeze out or pinch any air bubbles.

And it's stronger, more heat resistant, and yellows less.

IMG_6622.JPG

Last edited:

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
If the board is still pretty new . Zip it up in a day bag . Put in sun 10 min .
Open day bag just a hair and take a wiff. If it has a chemical smell it's a pupe

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
If the board is still pretty new . Zip it up in a day bag . Put in sun 10 min .
Open day bag just a hair and take a wiff. If it has a chemical smell it's a pupe
Why the bag? I’d just cook under the sun for good measure. Cure time on a fresh stick is longer than most think?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Epoxy glassing technique is very different than polyester. You move the resin slowly. One thing I really like is there is very little waste. The photo below is the waste after laminating my deck, a few drops. Nothing in the bucket. The ones that look like big drops are ones were I actually scooped up the drop with a squeegee to wet an air bubble (I can only do this when the paper is brand new, clean). Compare that to the waste of a production polyester glass job.
watched an entire laminating process at dark arts and I was blown away at the amount of resin that came off the board (lack thereof). insane compared to pe

Reactions: One-Off

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Hey,
Question for ya peeps. I just received a custom from a big name company. Ordered it 6/4x4 PU glassed with epoxy. Surfed it yesterday and caught about 10 or so waves. As I was walking back I noticed through the wax some pretty deep pressure dents on the deck. Stripped the wax and was a bit surprised and how many deep dents where on the board after just 1 surf. I've owned too many boards over the years (thanks to this forum) and I know deck pressure dents are normal, but this was a bit much after 1 surf. Anyone have this experience with bigger name brands? Maybe they used a lighter blank? Board does feel fairly light.
Yes, I have had this happen with standard poly/pu.

The boards were so light.

After a few waves they looked like I had been riding them for months - pressure dings all over the top and bottom.

I'm thinking it was the manufacturer just used whatever blanks they had lying around + overcatalyzed to meet their "Custom board in 2 weeks" goals.

As far as epoxy/pu goes, Proctor was the only guy who ever seemed to do them right. They felt just like standard poly/PU and were bulletproof. Downside is they would turn puke green instead of yellowing.

Epoxy has to be done right, and those who don't have the process figured out from beginning to end tend to make an inferior product.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Bag makes it easy to smell .
Pupe takes like 6 months to finish offgassing
I keep my boards in a little closet in my house.

All my boards tend to be glassed at the same two places. It's been many years since I brought a board home and I was able to smell offgassing.:shrug: