Glassing

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Hey,
Question for ya peeps. I just received a custom from a big name company. Ordered it 6/4x4 PU glassed with epoxy. Surfed it yesterday and caught about 10 or so waves. As I was walking back I noticed through the wax some pretty deep pressure dents on the deck. Stripped the wax and was a bit surprised and how many deep dents where on the board after just 1 surf. I've owned too many boards over the years (thanks to this forum) and I know deck pressure dents are normal, but this was a bit much after 1 surf. Anyone have this experience with bigger name brands? Maybe they used a lighter blank? Board does feel fairly light.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Hey,
Question for ya peeps. I just received a custom from a big name company. Ordered it 6/4x4 PU glassed with epoxy. Surfed it yesterday and caught about 10 or so waves. As I was walking back I noticed through the wax some pretty deep pressure dents on the deck. Stripped the wax and was a bit surprised and how many deep dents where on the board after just 1 surf. I've owned too many boards over the years (thanks to this forum) and I know deck pressure dents are normal, but this was a bit much after 1 surf. Anyone have this experience with bigger name brands? Maybe they used a lighter blank? Board does feel fairly light.
First off not every glasser does good epoxy some really hack it best to stick to PE and even then crappy jobs. I have had great luck with pure glass doing 2x pu/epoxy 6/4 6 AO twin and 6/6 6 mini log both done with S glass. Last Summer I hit my twin rail hard falling off during bs tube and only had small pressure ding on rail and bigger elbow bump pressure on deck still water tight:shaka:

Reactions: lofatkilla

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
My only custom baord with eps/epoxy frickin SUNK like mad right away. However....it hasn't snapped or gone anywhere near the point of being "ready to go". doesnt effect the ride. fug it. love that board, despite the b!tch of repairing dings.

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My only custom baord with eps/epoxy frickin SUNK like mad right away. However....it hasn't snapped or gone anywhere near the point of being "ready to go". doesnt effect the ride. fug it. love that board, despite the b!tch of repairing dings.
Sunk? Like low volume sunk? Eps/epoxy is even more tricky to do right and made even worse if you add color but some have it mastered and color looks good :cheers:

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
sunk as in the deck just crushed without cracking...never had a board with the deck go south that fast....but be dmaned if the thing hasnt held up long term
Hopefully mine will hold up. Deck dents don't bother me. But when it happens this fast it does. Had no idea some glass shops suck at epoxy. Good info. Thanks.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Pu with epoxy glassing sucks. I’ve never had a board dent more and feel softer. I will never buy it again.

eps/epoxy and XTR are great and I have no issues.
Again all in the glasser and forgot to mention both boards from pureglass Malcom Campbell bonzer concave twin with fcs fusion plugs and ewing 5 fin bonzer came out perfect even though black rails on AO look purple happy mishap and more about S glass:shaka:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Maybe it didnt get a good post cure? I think some shops give epoxy glassed boards a bake in an oven of sorts to make sure its properly cured for that first session. Its not the end of the world if it didnt get cured but maybe give it a week or two before surfing it again.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
low density blank prob?

maybe a sh!t glass job?

Epoxy isn’t conplicated, or particularly difficult. I seen n ridden plenty PU/epoxy & for me - I love it. I’ll never get a new board w PE resin again.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
In my experience, epoxy, especially on PU is a lot softer than equivalent poly. A lot. Even with s-glass.

I’ve got an epoxy PU Rusty right now that is at least 6x4 deck and it is chewy as fk. I really like how they feel, and they stay together but your feet are going to get closer to the fins every surf.

Last edited:

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Maybe it didnt get a good post cure? I think some shops give epoxy glassed boards a bake in an oven of sorts to make sure its properly cured for that first session. Its not the end of the world if it didnt get cured but maybe give it a week or two before surfing it again.
That's what I'm doing. I'm waiting a week or so just in case it didn't fully cure.
The board did have a resin odor when it arrived and I asked if I should let it chill a bit but the rep said it was ready to surf. For a 6'6 it does feel pretty light. Could be the blank. My Gibbons boards have a bit more weight to 'em but have minimal denting. It is what it is. I'm putting a traction pad on it to hopefully help with denting a bit and will just enjoy the board. It feels very lively and super fun so at least there is that!

Reactions: Aruka

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That's what I'm doing. I'm waiting a week or so just in case it didn't fully cure.
The board did have a resin odor when it arrived and I asked if I should let it chill a bit but the rep said it was ready to surf. For a 6'6 it does feel pretty light. Could be the blank. My Gibbons boards have a bit more weight to 'em but have minimal denting. It is what it is. I'm putting a traction pad on it to hopefully help with denting a bit and will just enjoy the board. It feels very lively and super fun so at least there is that!
Epoxy has no toxic smell or outgas while drying and one reasons why people like epoxy but if epoxy was not dry it would be tacky still and you would not be able to wax your board. @Aruka stretch uses baking method and I believe its to make sure "control dry time" board is cured 100% and no need to wait to surf etc. @lofatkilla reason I go epoxy resin even with pu is for longevity does not turn brittle over time like pe only turns brown after exposure to sun and if its good enough for space and many missions to mars and beyond its good enough for me:cheers:

Reactions: Aruka

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
I got a 6'5 xtr ledge supposedly tank glassed 6x6x6.

Then a year later ordered a shorter insanity variant glassed 6x6x6 from xtr.

The 5'11 5 liter less insanity is considerably heavier and feels bullet proof. The Ledge is dented way more on the deck, making me think it wasn't actually 6x6x6 but still rock solid.

Will still gladly go back to xtr again.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I got a 6'5 xtr ledge supposedly tank glassed 6x6x6.

Then a year later ordered a shorter insanity variant glassed 6x6x6 from xtr.

The 5'11 5 liter less insanity is considerably heavier and feels bullet proof. The Ledge is dented way more on the deck, making me think it wasn't actually 6x6x6 but still rock solid.

Will still gladly go back to xtr again.
I think we all can agree xtr, varial, and stretch make some of the strongest eps(etc)/epoxy boards while some big brands and turd pop ups factory boards not so great and maybe best to stick to pu/pe:shrug:

lofatkilla

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 13, 2004
VENTURA, CA
Epoxy has no toxic smell or outgas while drying and one reasons why people like epoxy but if epoxy was not dry it would be tacky still and you would not be able to wax your board. @Aruka stretch uses baking method and I believe its to make sure "control dry time" board is cured 100% and no need to wait to surf etc. @lofatkilla reason I go epoxy resin even with pu is for longevity does not turn brittle over time like pe only turns brown after exposure to sun and if its good enough for space and many missions to mars and beyond its good enough for me:cheers:
So maybe since it did smell, a bit I got PE not Epoxy. Any way to tell?

• Wow