Resin Research Quik Kick???

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Is it alright to store Resin Research Quik Kick with pump instead of cap inside plastic storage box in shed outside of home? I would only have pump on 2 pints "A" and "B" epoxy and only use it for home ding repair.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Is it alright to store Resin Research Quik Kick with pump instead of cap inside plastic storage box in shed outside of home? I would only have pump on 2 pints "A" and "B" epoxy and only use it for home ding repair.
If the resin side gets cold it'll clog and you have to thaw the pump and the whole pint. I've solved this problem by putting it in the pump in the microwave for 5 seconds, metal spring and all. You can also heat the pint in one of your wife's sauce pans.

Boatbuilders usually store their resin in an insulated carboard box heated by a lightbulb.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
If the resin side gets cold it'll clog and you have to thaw the pump and the whole pint. I've solved this problem by putting it in the pump in the microwave for 5 seconds, metal spring and all. You can also heat the pint in one of your wife's sauce pans.

Boatbuilders usually store their resin in an insulated carboard box heated by a lightbulb.
Thanks I saw that but was not sure if pump was sealed tight enough to keep clean and store etc but figured what a pain in a$$ if remove each time etc after use and put cap.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
I poured my last batch and found harder to weight on digital scale because you wait on drip etc. I hope pump helps. I also learned (I am stupid) to pour or pump "B" first then do "A".....;)
I find the bottle tops get crusty, so I have to clean them before i pour.

Easy to measure, digital scale on grams. Smallest batch is 10 g glue and 4 g hardener

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I poured my last batch and found harder to weight on digital scale because you wait on drip etc. I hope pump helps. I also learned (I am stupid) to pour or pump "B" first then do "A".....;)
Don't mix by weight unless the weight ratios are easy and you know them. Resin is supposed to be mixed by volume. Volume and weight are not the same.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I find the bottle tops get crusty, so I have to clean them before i pour.

Easy to measure, digital scale on grams. Smallest batch is 10 g glue and 4 g hardener
Drip is hardest for me while pouring seems to change weight to easily even when I pour slow. I always go oz and do little batches no bigger then half cup full (laundry detergente cup).

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This is what I'm talking about, except it can be simpler (a cardboard box lined with foil) and have the pumps stick out through holes in the top so you don't have to constantly remove the epoxy from the box to pump:

I made one out of EPS foam and duct tape.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
This is what I'm talking about, except it can be simpler (a cardboard box lined with foil) and have the pumps stick out through holes in the top so you don't have to constantly remove the epoxy from the box to pump:

I made one out of EPS foam and duct tape.
Kool but I do not think I need one here in 805 CA very few morning freezez but looks like easy to make your own. I would just use a ole igloo cooler and get a plant/seed warmer blanket for bottom of cooler.

Reactions: Aruka and PRCD

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Kool but I do not think I need one here in 805 CA very few morning freezez but looks like easy to make your own. I would just use a ole igloo cooler and get a plant/seed warmer blanket for bottom of cooler.
Pour out the amount of resin you need. Heat only that resin, not the whole jug in a thrift store microwave. Then add the unheated hardener.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Pour out the amount of resin you need. Heat only that resin, not the whole jug in a thrift store microwave. Then add the unheated hardener.
Thanks but again have no freezing problems with epoxy just was wondering if alright to store with pump. I ordered pumps so I am convinced no problem and hope no near future dings (fingers crossed) to try them out:)
I am curious about additive F and resin research quick kick epoxy used for dings of all sizes and not glassing. Is it worth using.for small batches for laminate and hot coat?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
He's trying to use the mitered pumps which are pretty darn convenient. What mixing cups have you found for mixing small batches? I found a couple 100 mL ones on McMaster-Carr that I like that are graded in 10 mL increments.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Thanks but again have no freezing problems with epoxy just was wondering if alright to store with pump. I ordered pumps so I am convinced no problem and hope no near future dings (fingers crossed) to try them out:)
I am curious about additive F and resin research quick kick epoxy used for dings of all sizes and not glassing. Is it worth using.for small batches for laminate and hot coat?
The hardener gets crusty as it dries out between uses. I hate zits in my resin work

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I use 3 oz dixie cups. And a gram postal scale. Weight is more accurate for my eyes
So you're measuring based on the ratios of specific weight? I suppose you could just make a simple table of oz/mL conversion to weight. This seems to be a lot easier than trying to get down at eye level to a 100 mL measuring cup and pouring from a gallon jug and trying not to over-pour.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
So you're measuring based on the ratios of specific weight? I suppose you could just make a simple table of oz/mL conversion to weight. This seems to be a lot easier than trying to get down at eye level to a 100 mL measuring cup and pouring from a gallon jug and trying not to over-pour.
I save the plastic cups from Tide laundry detergent but always use digital scale fl oz to measure B and A. Which I pour or now pump after hitting zero after placing cup on scale and then again after (now) measuring B first.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I use condiment squeeze bottles that I buy at the dollar store to pour resins for small batches.

I measure by the gram into a (cheap) unmarked drinking cup ($4/50) sitting on a cheap digital kitchen scale ($20) and I do the math. Set the scale on grams instead of ounces. Set the empty cup on the scale and then zero it so that all you're measuring is the resin. Pour the B side then multiply by 1.45 to get the total, which you then meet by adding the A side. It works every single time. No guesswork or eyeballing involved.

I can do accurate epoxy mixes in any volume from ding sized batches and up. I've never once had a problem with my epoxy since I started measuring by weight. I typically reuse cups (after the previous batch has set up) so I don't even waste cups. I only mix what I think I will use, and my waste is down to maybe 4 oz per board.

The savings in waste and not having to use or clean the marked cups for measuring will pay for the costs of the scale in maybe just a couple boards. The most eco-friendly resin is the resin you save by not mixing more than you're using.

P.S. Use vinegar to clean up epoxy. Shelf life of epoxy is supposedly 6 months, (store in a cabinet or closed box to keep the sun off the container). If you are storing epoxy then crack the lid and vent the container every month or so. If it starts to coagulate at the bottom then stick the open container out in the sun to warm it up a bit and swoosh it around a little in the container to restore the viscosity.

bottles.JPG

Last edited: