Getting a double barrel....

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Dawn patrol is full of aging bro's with their portable saw horses, thermoses, and changing ponchos. Once they paddle out it only gets worse. I'll take mid morning anyway.
I never dawn patrolled even as a grom. I just can't surf that early. It takes time to get moving and feel loose. Also the odds of getting burned by someone who needs to get to work are way higher.

Reactions: mundus

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I see the sunrise most mornings. Somewhere between 4-5 this AM.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I am a fan of the mid-late morning session. They usually end up being a second session for me but have always been the underrated time period in my opinion.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
In sumner, IB is onshore by 830. If you dont get it early you dont get it.

They took signs down Tuesday but the 90,000,000 gallon TJ River clog was opened up and is flowing. Gonna be weeks maybe months before its clean again.

I rarely surf afternoons. If there is a Santa Ana maybe. I did once locally this past year. I'm not interested going to LJ or NC Reefs or Cliffs and battling crowds. I'd rather cook up some killer dinner, have wine and chill.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
You guys aren’t getting the concept of thread. It’s not for commenting on my comments.

Make your own damn comments.
You're not the boss here, hoss, no one is. You want people to read your mind about what you want us to do, provide instructions. Otherwise get on your high horse and chill. This way you can feel superior and the rest of don't have to read your mind.

Best way to get a double barrel is to pull in and keep going as long as you can.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You're not the boss here, hoss, no one is. You want people to read your mind about what you want us to do, provide instructions. Otherwise get on your high horse and chill. This way you can feel superior and the rest of don't have to read your mind.

Best way to get a double barrel is to pull in and keep going as long as you can.
Instructions are in first post. I kept it at a single sentence.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I am a fan of the mid-late morning session. They usually end up being a second session for me but have always been the underrated time period in my opinion.
Well here in the land of right points and clear skies the first ninety minutes or so after sunrise you’re staring right into it when you look down the line.

DP on cloudy days for the win.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Instructions are in first post. I kept it at a single sentence.
"
post your “rules, definitions, quirks funny observations“ about surfing here.

or not.
"

2nd line says "or not. "

Go make up your mind what you want. 1st line or second.

Some chose 2nd, some ignored whatever you wrote. Quit complaining about direction changes and relax.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
"
post your “rules, definitions, quirks funny observations“ about surfing here.

or not.
"

2nd line says "or not. "

Go make up your mind what you want. 1st line or second.

Some chose 2nd, some ignored whatever you wrote. Quit complaining about direction changes and relax.
Maybe this will make it easier..

Post your rules, etc. or GTFO.

Feb 22, 2019
SB
There are no rules except the obvious etiquette.

All barrels are sick. No matter the duration, size or how many you get on one wave.

My only observation is that Duffy seems like the most elitist surfer I’ve ever encountered on the internet which probably means he’s a doink in person. If you want rules go play football. The point of surfing is self expression and fun. This Duffy guy’s a jock.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
One thing I love about surfing on the east coast in summer and fall is that warm morning sun in your face. Warm water too. Late August to mid October its good to be an east coast surfer.

Reactions: mundus

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
If you surf at dawn your day can pretty much only get worse from there. By the time you are going to bed that night the session is a fleeting memory. Afternoon sessions you get to savor it the rest of that day until you go to sleep. Also my body is never working at optimum output that early. Felt like I was going to drown a few times off a head high hold down.

Also the Gentlemans Session (10am-Noon) is a myth.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If you surf at dawn your day can pretty much only get worse from there. By the time you are going to bed that night the session is a fleeting memory. Afternoon sessions you get to savor it the rest of that day until you go to sleep. Also my body is never working at optimum output that early. Felt like I was going to drown a few times off a head high hold down.

Also the Gentlemans Session (10am-Noon) is a myth.
I also don’t like dawn patrol for these reasons.

additionally I don’t enjoy surfing as much when I have to be somewhere by a certain time.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Well here in the land of right points and clear skies the first ninety minutes or so after sunrise you’re staring right into it when you look down the line.
Not to mention straight onshore **** winds a lot of the time for hours in the morning. This AM though, was HOWLING violently offshore. It's cooking pretty good right now, maybe 20 kts sustained with gnarly gusts, whitecapping as far as I can see with some cat paws.