Getting a double barrel....

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
How cute, you are showing us your belly.

Duffy rule: Say two things contrary things, get in a huff, then follow up with tough guy GTFO moment, try a redirect wuss move' which gets the suck-ups in line. Typical bully stuff.
What are even talking about? Bully?

This is supposed to a fun light hearted post about surfing and you come in here to start a fight, and call me a bully?

Weird.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
1 Dawn has greater chance for offshore or still winds for me

2 Dawn means I don't have to slather on the sunblock

3 Dawn means I don't have to squint to keep the sun out of my eyes

4 Dawn means better parking

5 Sunset means lower probability of all of the above

Ergo, for me, I must disagree with the assertion sunset surfs > than dawn surfs.
If you're on the east coast the sun is right in your face when you dawn patrol.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I don’t have a trust fund so I gotta work most days 7-330 or 8-430. Dawn patrol during the summer is how I surf. Before I had my son if the waves were good I’d surf just before sunset too.

As for unwritten rules. The spots I surf if you wear booties and paddle for a set you’re going to get burned. Booties are a green light to get stuffed.

Boards that get dinged before they get wet are going to be magic.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006

This is supposed to a fun light hearted post about surfing and you come in here to start a fight, and call me a bully?

Weird.
We should make a rule that insults and bickering should be limited to the politics section.

Dont ruin potential surf stoked post with this!

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
If you surf at dawn your day can pretty much only get worse from there. By the time you are going to bed that night the session is a fleeting memory. Afternoon sessions you get to savor it the rest of that day until you go to sleep. Also my body is never working at optimum output that early. Felt like I was going to drown a few times off a head high hold down.

Also the Gentlemans Session (10am-Noon) is a myth.
I paddle out in the dark mornings I surf. First light DPer my whole life.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
I work a full time, normal job, so I prefer dawn patrols here in San Diego. Most times of the year I can get a good/fun session in before work and still be at work by 7:45am. Sometimes it's dark when I get in the water, but when I get to work, it always makes my day better.

Reactions: lagunaboy

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Weekday Dawn patrols have been out of the question for me for a while now. We start work before sunrise. I do miss them a lot, although I never felt I could fully relax knowing I had to get to work.. Those after work sessions are great though.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don’t have a trust fund so I gotta work most days 7-330 or 8-430. Dawn patrol during the summer is how I surf. Before I had my son if the waves were good I’d surf just before sunset too.

As for unwritten rules. The spots I surf if you wear booties and paddle for a set you’re going to get burned. Booties are a green light to get stuffed.

Boards that get dinged before they get wet are going to be magic.
Whats with the bootie thing?

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002

Weird.
So sorry I misunderstood your lighthearted GTFO after your patronizing.

"Maybe this will make it easier..

Post your rules, etc. or GTFO. "

We're all good buddies now.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
You guys aren’t getting the concept of thread. It’s not for commenting on my comments.
Make your own damn comments.
Like...
”Cold water wax works better in cool water than cool water wax.”
When I was a grom through to my 20's and sometimes now I entertain myself during lulls by making whirlpools with the nose of my surfboard.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There are no rules except the obvious etiquette.

All barrels are sick. No matter the duration, size or how many you get on one wave.

My only observation is that Duffy seems like the most elitist surfer I’ve ever encountered on the internet which probably means he’s a doink in person. If you want rules go play football. The point of surfing is self expression and fun. This Duffy guy’s a jock.
another one who misses the point of this thread.

and “jock”. Lol.

on Your next surf session you will have a Britney Spears song stuck in your head as punishment.

oops, I did it again!

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Reef booties at Lani's.
I don’t care if someone wears reef booties. But they’re not getting sets at the few spots I regularly surf. Soft tops too. Especially if it’s head high or bigger and firing. JOB and other pros getting paid to ride those things are the exception.