ford trucks still the best like a rock!

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I can't wait for Toyota to make a plug in hybrid Tacoma. If they use the same drivetrain as the RAV4 prime, it's going to be awesome. Most people will never drive it far enough for everyday use to need gas, but if you take a long trip, it'll have a 400+ mi range. And it pumps out 300+ hp.

Ford related: our Transit's shock mounts would bottom out just driving to the trail head. Not sure why they're so low in stock form. Also, idiot engineers can't figure out how to keep water out of the engine compartment, so the bolts on the exhaust manifold rust over time b/c they're inset and hold water. The air filter cover was also smaller than the bottom, so water would ingress and make the air filter wet and moldy. And there were exposed wiring harnesses that I had to cover w/ cut up plastic bottles. Longest existing carmaker still hasn't figured out how to deal w/ rain?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I can't wait for Toyota to make a plug in hybrid Tacoma. If they use the same drivetrain as the RAV4 prime, it's going to be awesome. Most people will never drive it far enough for everyday use to need gas, but if you take a long trip, it'll have a 400+ mi range. And it pumps out 300+ hp.

Ford related: our Transit's shock mounts would bottom out just driving to the trail head. Not sure why they're so low in stock form. Also, idiot engineers can't figure out how to keep water out of the engine compartment, so the bolts on the exhaust manifold rust over time b/c they're inset and hold water. The air filter cover was also smaller than the bottom, so water would ingress and make the air filter wet and moldy. And there were exposed wiring harnesses that I had to cover w/ cut up plastic bottles. Longest existing carmaker still hasn't figured out how to deal w/ rain?

Now there's the "Transit Trail" with factory 3.5 inch lift. I like...but msrp $66,000.

The Taco hybrid msrp seems like it will be reasonable.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
A Taco with the RAV4 hybrid drivetrain would be a disaster. The smallest ICE Taco weighs 10% more (I'm sure a hybrid would be 1000 pounds heavier) and can tow twice as much. That drivetrain would be overwhelmed and Toyota would have its first-ever unreliable truck.

Better to build a unibody small truck on the hybrid RAV4 platform and compete head to head with the Maverick.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
A Taco with the RAV4 hybrid drivetrain would be a disaster. The smallest ICE Taco weighs 10% more (I'm sure a hybrid would be 1000 pounds heavier) and can tow twice as much. That drivetrain would be overwhelmed and Toyota would have its first-ever unreliable truck.

Better to build a unibody small truck on the hybrid RAV4 platform and compete head to head with the Maverick.

Reactions: ghostshaper

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008

I just bought this. 2022.
Haven't bought a car since 2016 and never one this new.

Last tundra (2014) had 300K miles and I gave it to my son. It still drives great.
Price on this one started with a 4.
Son did 4 months of research to find best deal and told me I was an idiot if I didn't buy.

Its a little high tech for this old timer and the twin turbo V6 is interesting.
But its nice to still not have a car payment.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Don’t know what to say about the whole rain thing but the shock thing is not unique to Transits. With rears there’s only so many options as to how you can mount the shocks. If you google rear shock skids you’ll see all the affected rides and solutions. Mine are the lowest points on my truck, lower than the rear diff so they got protected with some skids. These are for the new Tundras
1685414770840.jpeg

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Don’t know what to say about the whole rain thing but the shock thing is not unique to Transits. With rears there’s only so many options as to how you can mount the shocks. If you google rear shock skids you’ll see all the affected rides and solutions. Mine are the lowest points on my truck, lower than the rear diff so they got protected with some skids. These are for the new Tundras
View attachment 155189
Now there's the "Transit Trail" with factory 3.5 inch lift. I like...but msrp $66,000.

The Taco hybrid msrp seems like it will be reasonable.
I installed the foes racing lift myself. Upgraded the suspension and bought the $100 shock mount lift. Went w 31" tires. Spent less than $3k, including tires. Plenty enough clearance for dispersed camping and getting to trailheads.

Reactions: Chocki and One-Off

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

I just bought this. 2022.
Haven't bought a car since 2018 and never one this new.

Last tundra (2014) had 300K miles and I gave it to my son. It still drives like great.
Price on this one started with a 4.
Son did 4 months of research to find best deal and told me I was an idiot if I didn't buy.

Its a little high tech for this old timer and the twin turbo V6 is interesting.
But its nice to still not have a car payment.
My brother just got one. Tha bastard. Trd crew cab. I drove it and i really want one now. Love my 2010 but the new one seems better in every way.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
funny, My buddy has a 2022 (ok it's his wife's) and this is the second time I've commented on how nice it is but he hasn't exactly sold me on it. I can't get him to tell me exactly why . Maybe it's the cost. He replaced a 2006 (what I have).

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
funny, My buddy has a 2022 (ok it's his wife's) and this is the second time I've commented on how nice it is but he hasn't exactly sold me on it. I can't get him to tell me exactly why . Maybe it's the cost. He replaced a 2006 (what I have).
Theres definitely something to be said for having a truck that isnt too nice and shiny because you can, you know, use it as a truck.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Theres definitely something to be said for having a truck that isnt too nice and shiny because you can, you know, use it as a truck.
A truck is so useful, it almost goes unnoticed, if you've had one for a while. My son just got his license and he still sucks at parking, but he can run curbs, drive over them, and it doesn't matter. If he did that w my mini, my rims would be one big curb rash.

The amount of crap you can carry is also endless. This weekend: towed son's team's boats, filled back w rudders, dagger boards, sails, my wing and board, people/kids.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Yeah if i dropped 60 large on a brand new truck the last thing I'd want to do is get it all beat up by doing truck stuff

Reactions: Aruka

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
I've had a truck most of my life. Can't imagine not having one. Glad I bought my F250 three years ago. Same truck costs almost 30% more today. 33k miles on the truck. Just got the Subaru this winter, and I can't imagine life without one now. Anyone looking at a Tacoma should seriously consider a Subaru Outback, as it has nearly the same clearance, is far more comfortable, quieter, and gets far better mileage (I've had a 2001 Tacoma, 2011 and 2012 Tacoma, rented a 2022, and my brother has a 2021, so I feel like I'm qualified to make this assessment). Add a roof box and you've got more room than a Tacoma too. And yes, I'm a fan of Falken tires, they're on both vehicles.

Attachments

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
I have a Subaru Outback and there is no way it can go off road like a Tacoma...that said, for most it does just fine. We just took my Outback to Idaho/Wyoming this winter and I can't say enough good things about how it drives.

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
True, if true off-roading is your goal, the Tacoma wins. For forest service/dirt roads, snowy roads, and general surf duty, an Outback would be my choice. Most people fancy themselves as off-roaders but don't even know what a locker is.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
At the risk of steering the Ford thread back from Toyota, I just helped my son buy his first truck on his own. Long story, but I had a killer Tundra lined up and struck a deal, but it couldn’t pass smog for over a week and time was running out as he needed a truck to leave town for a new job today. I found him a 2006 F-150 4x4 last week with 150k on it, it was fireman owned, tons of records and clean AF. I did cursory research and it seems the 06 is a good year for the F- 150 with 300+k to be expected and minimal issues reported. This was the most hasty vehicle purchase I’ve ever made.

Esteemed erbb, make me feel good about this purchase. For your efforts.

1685491770273.png