ford trucks still the best like a rock!

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
Theres definitely something to be said for having a truck that isnt too nice and shiny because you can, you know, use it as a truck.
Agree. There are many times I miss giving 0 farks about what goes on inside and outside of the vehicle.

On one hand - there are times - particularly after nice sativa - when I swear I'm sitting still only to realize I'm pushing 90 mph.

On the other hand - fingers.

Reactions: Aruka

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
At the risk of steering the Ford thread back from Toyota, I just helped my son buy his first truck on his own. Long story, but I had a killer Tundra lined up and struck a deal, but it couldn’t pass smog for over a week and time was running out as he needed a truck to leave town for a new job today. I found him a 2006 F-150 4x4 last week with 150k on it, it was fireman owned, tons of records and clean AF. I did cursory research and it seems the 06 is a good year for the F- 150 with 300+k to be expected and minimal issues reported. This was the most hasty vehicle purchase I’ve ever made.

Esteemed erbb, make me feel good about this purchase. For your efforts.

View attachment 155277
Righteous choice of jugs bro.
I’m a firm believer that once a vehicle reaches certain milestones it means something ala if certain sh!t was gonna go south it would’ve already. So I wouldn’t stress it sounds like a solid truck and as long as you guys stay ahead of normal sh!t wearing out (esp pumps belts and hoses) it should last a lot longer

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah, it’s in great shape under the hood as is the undercarriage. Mobil 1 and royal purple have been documented as used in the manual. I assume someone on here has actually has/had that year/model and hoping for some good feedback from their experience. Kid made the 7 hour drive, so far so good.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Can you even buy a new truck that isn’t a luxury vehicle? Do they still make work trucks?

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
Can you even buy a new truck that isn’t a luxury vehicle? Do they still make work trucks?
When I bought my bare bones (literally bare metal interior) Transit 150 Ford had a seperate website for "commercial vehicles". They had a F150 on there that was a basic work truck, I think it was a 2 door. Interestingly commercial vehicles don't have MPG estimates, that part of my window sticker is blank. Imagine how old fashioned the thinking is that says it doesn't matter how much fuel commercial vehicles use because it's written off. No thought to resource use or pollution. I've argued for years now that business tax write-offs for vehicles and fuel encourage waste and over spending on vehicles by small business owners. I bet everyone here knows some kind of contractor that buys bigger trucks than they need because of the draw of getting the "biggest & best" and the logic that there's no money to be saved being more conservative in their purchase because of tax incentives.
When the government uses tax code to encourage reproduction and consumption I give up all hope for the future. As if we're not already hard wired to do those things to the point of excess.

Last edited:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
At the risk of steering the Ford thread back from Toyota, I just helped my son buy his first truck on his own. Long story, but I had a killer Tundra lined up and struck a deal, but it couldn’t pass smog for over a week and time was running out as he needed a truck to leave town for a new job today. I found him a 2006 F-150 4x4 last week with 150k on it, it was fireman owned, tons of records and clean AF. I did cursory research and it seems the 06 is a good year for the F- 150 with 300+k to be expected and minimal issues reported. This was the most hasty vehicle purchase I’ve ever made.

View attachment 155277
Damn, that's a fine looking streetlight right there!

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Yeah, it’s in great shape under the hood as is the undercarriage. Mobil 1 and royal purple have been documented as used in the manual. I assume someone on here has actually has/had that year/model and hoping for some good feedback from their experience. Kid made the 7 hour drive, so far so good.
Did a quick google search for “06 f150 potential issues”.

Be careful with changing spark plugs/who you let change them (issue w/them breaking during removal).

Dont ever let it overheat, it’s horrible for any engine but in particular for an early 2000s aluminum block.

There solid trucks or they wouldn’t have sold so many, and since they sold so many parts are easy to find.

If it were my youth along w/ extra 5 qts oil, I’d make sure there was always a gallon of Motorcraft/rad fluid just in case of catastrophic leakage etc

That and I’d think he’d be interested in making sure his new to him truck was properly maintained

Ford Pick-ups, 2004 Thru 2006: Full-size, F-150, 2WD & 4WD (Haynes Repair Manual) (Haynes Repair Manuals)
https://a.co/d/0lzklrp

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
For me the ultimate pick up would be a mid 90's Ford f250, totally stoke (see what I did there?), in mint condition...with a cap and racks. Something about the minimalism of them appeals to me.

View attachment 155024

View attachment 155025
split front axle on the 90's f250 was loser. ate tires, refused to hold an alignment, steering was borderline dangerous if you had to react at speed.

swap for a f350 straight axle or avoid the hassle all together and start with the 350

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

View attachment 155277
Hummana-hummana!

Anyway about the car....a well-maintained car (with records) 100% beats a car than can't pass smog.

I have a Subaru Outback and there is no way it can go off road like a Tacoma...that said, for most it does just fine. We just took my Outback to Idaho/Wyoming this winter and I can't say enough good things about how it drives.

Sometimes you just gotta gun it, or at least not let up.

(this is more about knowing your sh!t than having the right car)

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My daughter had another driver run into the back of my Explorer yesterday with a Kia. Only damage to the Explorer was a $25 reflector and one tab broken off the underside of the plastic bumper cover that is an easy fix. The Kia was not so lucky. Hood, bumper, grill and radiator. Basically drove square into the hitch on the Explorer and went under.

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
My daughter had another driver run into the back of my Explorer yesterday with a Kia. Only damage to the Explorer was a $25 reflector and one tab broken off the underside of the plastic bumper cover that is an easy fix. The Kia was not so lucky. Hood, bumper, grill and radiator. Basically drove square into the hitch on the Explorer and went under.
1685707036766.jpeg

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
front crumple zone

Oct 26, 2020
Absolutely, Ford trucks have a rep for being rock-solid! A friend of mine has an older Ford F-150, and he uses it for everything. He’s always hauling stuff for home projects, and it just keeps on trucking. He loves to brag about how it's never given him any major trouble, even with all the miles he's put on it.

Funny thing, I was inspired by his Ford's performance and ended up snagging a used Ford F-150 myself from here. Found a sweet deal on it, and it's been a total game changer for me. It's perfect for my weekend DIY projects, and the space it offers is just what I needed. Plus, the price was right within my budget.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Havoc