Foil Session Logs

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Nice tight camera work. Signature 210? 190? How are you liking it compared to the Axis gear you rode for a long time?

Mar 22, 2020
Nice tight camera work. Signature 210? 190? How are you liking it compared to the Axis gear you rode for a long time?
Signature 165 with flat stab 15"
It is more technical than the Axis 900, it is ligher but not as stiff as the Axis, so it is more tehnical for pumping, you need more cardio. But it is faster and it holds when you turn, so I can push harder. I like it because I have the glide/speed feeling of a HA wing but with good turning ability. I use it in any conditions, from 1' to 5'.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
First go on the Axis 760. Went to a spot that I know I can get a bunch of waves and not hit rocks since it's a demo wing. :) It was about 3-4 foot with some bigger sets on occaision.

The wing is way more responsive than the 900. More responsive than my Lift 200. Maybe slightly less than the Lift 170. It pumps better than the Lift 200 and maybe slightly less well than the 900. Mostly less glide between pumps, compared to the 900. I was able to pump it back up off the water after quick touchdowns. I'm not sure I could cover the huge distances that the 900 can, but for 2 for 1's it's more than capable.

It rolls side to side much faster and recovers easier. It seems to want to recover back to center rather than getting stuck leaned over.

I set it up an 1/8th inch forward in the tracks. Two waves in I went in and pushed it forward another 1/8th of an inch. Maybe it'll end up slightly forward of that, but it worked pretty well at that spot.

I only tried one rebound off the white water and got a decent amount of yaw/snap in the bounce off the foam, then it recovered back to center and I was able to ride out of it.

Mar 20, 2019
Nice! I still haven't used mine on a second session... the little swell we got wasn't as big as hoped, and arrived later than expected, and work got in the way. I had set mine up at the same spot in the tracks as my 900 the first time, but was planning on moving it forward a bit next time. I'm eagerly awaiting some real swell up here!

Reactions: grendel95

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Drove up to Mondo's to push my kids into some waves. Saw a couple foil waves and talked them into letting me setup the foil and try a couple. The whined about it but let me go out. I got 2 at first, came in and played, then went back out for 2 more quick ones.

Still not seeing a downside to this wing. It is for sure smaller, but it doesn't hurt you in the surf. That's a super soft slow wave, and it was maybe 2 foot today. Once you pump up on foil it doesn't matter. I did one backside cutback that felt real good. To crowded to try anything crazy. One pump run that I made it halfway back up the point. Maybe the 900 would do better, maybe it wouldn't, I was going upstream at that point.

I need to A: get this foil in front of a camera and B: ride the 900 again. I don't really have any desire to ride the 900 again though. Not sure what I'd need that for? Downwinding I guess.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
OK, I got it in front of a camera. Comparing the raw footage of a 760 to a 900 session is obvious. The 900 pumps like a beast. There's no denying that. Can't sell the 900 as it's to useful. That's disappointing because I don't really want 2 wings and would rather have cash to spend on other toys.

The 760 is the HP surf foil. Just a pure dedicated surf foil. It pumps fine for 2 for 1's, but it'll never do what the 900 does. What it will do is full round houses and roll rail to rail with ease. The 900 I can do the roundhouse, but then to finish up and do the turn back it's so slow to roll back over to the other rail I get stuck and frustrated with it.

They both catch waves the same to me. Maybe even a better pump up on the 760. If there is push, I will always ride the 760. If it's 1 foot and a lot of pumping involved I will have to choose the 900. I think I would love a 700 if they ever make that (I heard next year they will)

Example of what the 760 can not do, but the 900 excels at.

Bigmountain. I need reviews of the 390 stab. I only have the 370. I'm going to try to get on a 460, but it looks like that will need to be cut down in my opinion. I'm also going to try to get on the 860 and see how that is.

Mar 22, 2020
OK, I got it in front of a camera. Comparing the raw footage of a 760 to a 900 session is obvious. The 900 pumps like a beast. There's no denying that. Can't sell the 900 as it's to useful. That's disappointing because I don't really want 2 wings and would rather have cash to spend on other toys.

The 760 is the HP surf foil. Just a pure dedicated surf foil. It pumps fine for 2 for 1's, but it'll never do what the 900 does. What it will do is full round houses and roll rail to rail with ease. The 900 I can do the roundhouse, but then to finish up and do the turn back it's so slow to roll back over to the other rail I get stuck and frustrated with it.

They both catch waves the same to me. Maybe even a better pump up on the 760. If there is push, I will always ride the 760. If it's 1 foot and a lot of pumping involved I will have to choose the 900. I think I would love a 700 if they ever make that (I heard next year they will)

Example of what the 760 can not do, but the 900 excels at.

Bigmountain. I need reviews of the 390 stab. I only have the 370. I'm going to try to get on a 460, but it looks like that will need to be cut down in my opinion. I'm also going to try to get on the 860 and see how that is.
I keep asking Axis to make a smaller/faster version of the 910 which would solve the problem.
That is why I have the Sig 165 (1065 cm2), you have the best of both world : speed, glide, pump, turning, control at hight speed.
I think the new Takuma might be the same.

But I know Axis is working hard and they will release for 2021 new wings.

Mar 20, 2019
Here's my take on the 390 and 460 stabs (both with 900, ultra short, 170lbs). Got the 390 first, wow, think I caught a 6-for-1 on my first wave. I could pump it like crazy. You push, it pushes back. Felt ok in turns, but was very stable and comfortable feeling. Then I tried the 460, it's like adding a turbo. Slippery fast! When you pump, it doesn't push back like the 390. You kind of just hop to keep it up. But you're going faster so you can pump just as far or farther. Turning felt less stable. You couldn't really push against the tail through the turn. But I was able to connect waves I hadn't been able to connect with the other stabs.

I had a session where I was disappointed in the turning/carving of the 460, so I put the 390 back on for next session. Haha hated it! Sooo slow! But it could have been the waves, haha it was just a bad session.... I haven't been driving to town, and the NS has been lake flat. Hopefully we'll start getting waves again in the next couple weeks, and I'll get on the 760 again. I have an extra 390 now, so I'll prob cut it down and make it flat without the downturn tips. Also want to try the 390 and the 370 with a shim.... Too many options! And now I'm addicted to winging and just do that everyday! Haha

Once we get some decent waves, I'll bring everything down and try all the options/combos for 2-3 waves. Try to figure out what works best.

Reactions: Hdip

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
holycrap i just tried it on my galaxy can do that too!...NEW TRICK!....THANKS...all this time i would have to download the whole clip to PC... then transfer to my phone... the load it into editing software ....convert it...edit it...process it as a new clip and annmnd...finally have a new clip...yaaaay

Reactions: grendel95

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Making lemonade out of lemons the last two days...

Yesterday, spied the local reef breaking on the cam and hustled down only to find the tide had swallowed up the swell. Paddled out anyways and got a couple decent connections on the Hyper 210. Had barely enough runway for the takeoffs, need to work on some beach starts.

Pulling in the lot this morning, white water burgers breaking all over and opted to get the MFC 1400 out to get some cranking turns. Tide monster was rising quick and really only got one decent wall with a connection before it went really soft.

It's getting tougher and tougher to get the surf wing out when I'm flying all over with the HA.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm the other way currently. I'm having a hard time riding my 900. It just seems so boring when the 760 is so fun. But then I get sad I can't pump so far. No best of both worlds so far yet.

Mar 22, 2020
I'm the other way currently. I'm having a hard time riding my 900. It just seems so boring when the 760 is so fun. But then I get sad I can't pump so far. No best of both worlds so far yet.
Today I took my 210 Sig usually I only use it for DW but I messed up and took it thinking it was my 165. Anyway I didn't like it at all, it feels too slow compared to the 165, hard to turn and the pumping wasn't much better. So I guess when you get used to a small wing it is hard to go back to a bigger one.

I think this 165 is the a really combo for turning/pumping, at least for smaller rider (I would say under 75kg).

But I want to try the new Takuma Kujira, might be even better ??

Reactions: Hdip and grendel95

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I feel like the 900 axis is faster than the 760. But the 900 does not roll rail to rail instantly the way I want it to. So it feels like you’re just going straight or just pumping in flat water. I would either need to learn how to do really good breach turns. Or they could just make me a smaller 900. I asked for a 700 already. They said it’s coming next year.

I don’t want a wingspan over 30 inches if it can be helped. Ie: the kujira or cloud9 f28 fit the bill. Can I borrow $1700 from anyone? Thanks.

What’s your opinion on the signature carbon mast frenchfoiler? The main selling point of axis is a super stiff mast. Now you’re back to a carbon mast. Do you miss axis?