Foil Session Logs

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
You liking the 390 over the 370? I want more reviews of the 760! Don't try and tell me there's no waves as I see that hurricane bearing down on you haha.

If you foil where Peter King foils and you see guys on Axis gear ask them if they're part of the LA Foil Club haha. 2 guys over there right now and PK is posting footage of them in a whatsapp thread.

Edit: So I'm not replying in a sale thread, I'll reply to you here too bigmtn. I'm not so sure I want another tail wing at the moment. I can pump like crazy already. What I want is a surf wing, but not willing to give up the pump I just gained haha. I'll get the 760 for my next purchase probably, but it'll be a couple months.

This is the shim I'm using btw. -1%. https://axisfoils.com/collections/foil-parts-accessories/products/axis-foils-3d-printing-files-1-degree-rear-wing Free download if you have access to a 3d printer.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
They probably went south today, or to Lanis (crowded) I just went out front, small lil runners with only a couple neighbors out...
The 390 feels smoother on these small lil waves we've had. Also pumps even better than the 370. I wanna try the 370 again with a shim, see how it feels...

Yeah, we'll see if we get waves from the hurricane up here, maybe Kahana will turn on. Though I think Monday will be the day and I'll have to work. I'll need some proper waves to bring out the 760 again.

Reactions: ghostshaper

surfdad

Tom Curren status
Jan 10, 2002
South Bay
Visit site
You liking the 390 over the 370? I want more reviews of the 760! Don't try and tell me there's no waves as I see that hurricane bearing down on you haha.

If you foil where Peter King foils and you see guys on Axis gear ask them if they're part of the LA Foil Club haha. 2 guys over there right now and PK is posting footage of them in a whatsapp thread.

Edit: So I'm not replying in a sale thread, I'll reply to you here too bigmtn. I'm not so sure I want another tail wing at the moment. I can pump like crazy already. What I want is a surf wing, but not willing to give up the pump I just gained haha. I'll get the 760 for my next purchase probably, but it'll be a couple months.

This is the shim I'm using btw. -1%. https://axisfoils.com/collections/foil-parts-accessories/products/axis-foils-3d-printing-files-1-degree-rear-wing Free download if you have access to a 3d printer.
LA foil club? What’s that? ‍♂

Reactions: steamroller

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Steamroller got me invited to it. I don't know any of the guys in person technically, so I don't think I can add anyone else in so far. I've foiled with several of them, but never knew their names. Just a whatsapp thread with about 25 guys in it. That's how I heard foiler's cars were having the air let out of them at PV cove. It wasn't someone in the thread though, one guy foiled there later in the day and heard talk of it.

If you've been watching the Malibu cam at high tide, that's all them.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Flouro hats and Axis setups? Those guys have been coming to San O on the weekend, luckily they take their time getting into the lineup, there can be a lot of them.

Late afternoon session today, clean little 1 footers all to myself. Best day ever, again!:jamon:

Got to see the new Lift HA in action as I was getting out, looks fast!

Reactions: ghostshaper

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Flouro hats and Axis setups? Those guys have been coming to San O on the weekend, luckily they take their time getting into the lineup, there can be a lot of them.
that’s been the US owner of axis. He had demo gear. Can’t remember who I told on here. But yeah that’s them.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Couple of fun days with these 1-2 footers. Had a breakthrough on the prone board, not sure what it was but started to feel more comfortable and getting some longer rides. These small waves have been definitely helpful in the learning process. So stoked, thinking about getting a smaller board now but have to resist the urge to spend money.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
This micro run of swell has been good at the local, got off the Hyper 210 today and nailed a triple on the MFC 1400.

Frenchfoiler's stabilizer shim advice was like adding a booster rocket to my pump!

Reactions: keoki

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Note to self: Do not tell the whatsapp thread where you're going out when there's a camera on the spot. You'll come back to your car and find they've been live tweeting about your session with video! :)

Edit: Did they talk about this wave? No they did not.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
First time foiling last night.

Caught 4 waves, the second I was able to stand and ride for about 2 seconds. The next two I kept bailing once I stood up (scared).

I had two fear factors, one was the board of course, the other that it was too shallow (more on that below).

Observations
1) they're a bitch to paddle, especially when paddling parallel to the beach I noticed I could feel the foil wanting to turn toward the beach (?) and it felt like I was working against it. Any tips?
2) It's hard to find a place around here to catch whitewater that is actually deep enough (chest deep?). I drove from Torrey pines to O'side yesterday on a 3.5 tide and it was really hard finding a place to learn where I wasn't afraid of the foil hitting the bottom or jumping off and hurting myself
3) these things really travel off leash, I was freaking as I saw my board get washed all the way to the sand and get washed onto its side (only happened once)
4) they're highly efficient, if I let the board just sit in the water by itself it takes off by itself even with no wave

Will try again this AM.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yup, they'll ghost ride all the way to the beach without you. Wear a leash.

Yes the struggle to find a deep enough spot when it's small can be a problem. It can help if you stand on the sand and then jump on your belly right as the wave get's to you. But, they're made up of aluminum and multiple layers of carbon. Bottoming out on the sand for a second isn't going to hurt them. Hitting every rock in Malibu doesn't even seem to hurt them all that bad.

Once you catch the wave, ride high on the mast. It'll only be a foot under water at that point and you should be fine not hitting the bottom.

You get used to paddling them. When you go back to a normal board it'll feel super unstable at first haha.

Reactions: sozzle