Favorite flat or low arch traction pads?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
flat pads are for losers. LOL
I'd rather have just wax if no arch
Ever tried one? I thought the same and then I tried the hobgoblin because of this thread and got hooked.

I like flat or very low arch. funny how much more I notice my back foot without the maxipad taking away all the feeling and sensitivity.

Reactions: jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Ever tried one? I thought the same and then I tried the hobgoblin because of this thread and got hooked.
Gotta draw the line somewhere. There's just some things I don't want to know that I might like. Twinzers and Bonzers being a couple more. LOL I love twins. I love quads... Twinzer might be right in my wheelhouse- but I am NOT going to become a twinzer guy! And I honestly have zero interest in bonzers.
About half my boards (fish, ML, etc) are wax only and that feels fine. The other more HP (well, medium performance for me) boards have an arch pad. I've always been an arch guy since the original Astrodeck Archy pad. I don't wanna know the me that surfs a pad with no arch. LOL
what's next? Front traction?? surfing in an open button-down shirt? a hat with a chinstrap in the water? Am I gonna be a hat guy now?!? (a hat would actually be super practical)

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and Havoc

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Description says it has an arch, but the 2 slits down the middle lower the arch so it's not like you're standing on a broom stick handle. I ordered one the other day and i'm curious to see how it feels.

It also has a "V" cut into the tail -- so it should fit nice on a fish.

I'm digging the futurist look of the pad. :shaka:
1601412744395.png

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Sympl has a 3-piece pad for 29 w/free shipping. On their site and amazon. Have not used them but hear good things.
went with this 3pc nugget on amazon. ended up getting $10 credit for prime day for supporting small biz. Makes it a $20 traction.

:dancing:

Reactions: ANIMA

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Speaking of traction pads... what about fin plug placement on a swallow tail. Is it ever okay to put the fin plug in the middle of the swallow?

If you have to cut the pad to fit on the swallow anyways, would it be better to have it in the middle, or still better to have it on the wing?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Speaking of traction pads... what about fin plug placement on a swallow tail. Is it ever okay to put the fin plug in the middle of the swallow?

If you have to cut the pad to fit on the swallow anyways, would it be better to have it in the middle, or still better to have it on the wing?
It’s usually further out of the way if it’s on one side of the tail. About half of my boards have swallow tails, I prefer the plug on my heel side, but not a big deal if it’s on toe.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

depends on the swallow tail.

pretty deep swallow with plug on the stringer and you’ll have bad traction placement. Think of the subscorcher2

a shallow but wide straight cut swallow doesnt seem to mind the stringer plug placement.

my pod knockoff with a pulled in smaller swallow also didn’t seem to mind.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
depends on the swallow tail.

pretty deep swallow with plug on the stringer and you’ll have bad traction placement. Think of the subscorcher2

a shallow but wide straight cut swallow doesnt seem to mind the stringer plug placement.

my pod knockoff with a pulled in smaller swallow also didn’t seem to mind.
Bet you a million dollars Reforest is thinking of an El Tomo’s “double diamond”. I have one and a CC Mescaline with that tail and I think you’d want it on one of the tips.

• Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002