Favorite flat or low arch traction pads?

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
The only thing I don't like about Creatures pads is also something I do like. The kick is a very hard/dense foam, which I like. I mean, what's really the point of a nice kick if the foam is so soft it just collapses to nothing under any pressure (like some Dakines). The downside of the dense foam on the Creatures pads is that depending on how narrow the tail is and how it's foiled, the kick doesn't want to stick near the rails if the tail is more foiled out and the kick doesn't have a "flat" place to adhere to. Whereas softer pads will more or less form to the deck a little better.
My Slater Designs flat 4 piece pad peeled away from the tail area a bit. Still staying out though and doesn’t seem to be getting worse.

rlh1919

Nep status
Mar 30, 2005
Really like the new Dakine JJF 5 piece.
Like the moderate arch and the material is softer than the other Dakine models.
Tail kick is nice, not too big.
Tail Pad

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Casa I got the newer version of the pad we like and although I haven't ridden it, I don't think it's as grippy as I'd like it to be. It's on a gun so it's ok but I don't think I'd run it on a standard board. As a heads up, they still have the previous years model that you told me about that I really like so I just ordered another for a board I have on the way.

these are symple pads btw.

Also, there's a local SD company called attraction that makes some nice pads but I don't think they even have a website. You can get them at clairemont surf shop.

Reactions: sd_101

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
I put this on my latest board and have been pretty satisfied

Reactions: nowayout

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
what’s a good pad for rounded pins?

need one for a rusty blackbird @ my height. what are the ghost folks using?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
has anyone else complained recently about traction pads costing 40 freaking doll hairs?

usually I just wait till i find some decent ones on sale and then stock up but lately i can't find anything. ended up just splurging on a couple full price astrodick nathan pads.

i must admit they're pretty nice.

Reactions: sdsrfr

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
has anyone else complained recently about traction pads costing 40 freaking doll hairs?

usually I just wait till i find some decent ones on sale and then stock up but lately i can't find anything. ended up just splurging on a couple full price astrodick nathan pads.

i must admit they're pretty nice.
Yes I've been boardwhoring a lot lately and tail pad prices add up. There was some deals on ebay earlier in the year, I got a couple fcs and creatures in that 10-20 range, but I'm going to blame covid and all the new surfers for those deals disappearing. Haven't seen any decent ones lately. I tried a couple cheap pads on amazon but quality of the diamond cut was hit or miss.

Reactions: sdsrfr and Aruka

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I try and find them on clearance around $30 or less but the pulled in tail would require me to chop them up a bit and would rather save them for a different board.

amazon has a 5 piece for $21, anyone here try it?

In all honesty I may end up with another Bruce pad for this one.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Sympl has a 3-piece pad for 29 w/free shipping. On their site and amazon. Have not used them but hear good things.