ErBB Roundtable: Male Victimhood

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What people don't consider very often is you can get taken out any time, probably in a way that you didn't even expect.

#Embracethefragilityofexistencepussies.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
the janitor said:
FecalFace said:
the janitor said:
FecalFace said:
hammies said:
I think it's a key workplace skill to know your coworkers and be sure of how you can act around who. I have some female coworkers who are super cool and some who I wouldn't touch under any circumstances, or even act friendly with.
Reading visual and audio cues is the key.

Only if you completely lack awareness of the people around you, don't give a sh!t or you're on the spectrum, would this be a problem.

Apparently, ifail, Caca and janitor have one of those three problems. I'm guessing 1 and 2
oh no, I've been ilked! But why :shrug:
Because disagreeing with what Bird said doesn't make sense, unless you are of their ilk.
Ahh :monkey:

I'm not as old as you, but I have also managed to not rape anyone at work or inappropriately touch them. I've even managed to do this with female bosses, co-workers and subordinates while working in the marketing/tech field. But - and you may want to sit down for this part - I have actually touched people, while working :eek:
Yeah but that goes back to hammie's point - awareness.

It's not that you can't touch people, it's just being able to read consensus cues.

Dare I say, some of you need // WARNING BAD WORD // sensitivity training.

The champions of anti-PC movement like to talk about how feelings don't matter but our entire social interaction depends on them, whether you like it or not.

Being emotionally handicapped and not being able to read cues, or not giving a sh!t about people's feelings, is not a positive trait in the 21st century.

But maybe ifail, Caca and GDaddy can make America Great Again by taking it back to the early 20th century.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
the janitor said:
Well there is always the chance that I'm misunderstanding something. But John's story was about an older, successful guy that innocently touched a woman on the arm in a non sexual way, with other people in the room. Because of the strict reporting rules, once the woman complained, procedures must be followed and dude gets a written reprimand that goes on his permanent record.

The moral of the story, to me, isn't - he never should have touched her like that. It's that the machine had rules that must be adhered to and common sense shall not be applied. Why? Because of fear. Fear of lawsuits, reprimands, unsafe work environments.

Given the Tailhook scandal, which was awful, I can understand why the pendulum swung hard and probably too far the other way. Military Sexual Trauma is a persistent and brutal reality for women in the military.

But the notion that any kind of physical contact can end a career is troubling. Predatory dudes in the workplace should definitely be shown the door asap. But if the notion now is that everyone needs to be a soulless corporate robot, then that's a different kind of bad as well.
I think we agree here overall.

If you're going to work in a strict, by-the-book environment like the government you've got to abide by-the-book.

I am sure the touch was, as you said, non-sexual, but do you really think he'd have given the same touch to a guy in the same situation? Maybe, but I doubt it. And that's where it opens up the uncomfortable work environment can of worms.

I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but we all know the rules. Lawsuits are a fact of life for major employers. I look at it more as protection and self-preservation than fear. We've got to assimilate or GTFO :grin2:

I do think, however, that there's a middle ground between touching everyone as you please (non-sexually of course, sexual touching is a whole different deal and obviously inappropriate as you said) and being a soulless automaton.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
GWS said:
:roflmao:

This thread has gone full retard.
When confronted with reality, the leftards move directly to personal attacks with a sprinkling of the "fear" fallacy

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:
Yeah but that goes back to hammie's point - awareness.

It's not that you can't touch people, it's just being able to read consensus cues.

Dare I say, some of you need // WARNING BAD WORD // sensitivity training.

The champions of anti-PC movement like to talk about how feelings don't matter but our entire social interaction depends on them, whether you like it or not.

Being emotionally handicapped and not being able to read cues, or not giving a sh!t about people's feelings, is not a positive trait in the 21st century.

But maybe ifail, Caca and GDaddy can make America Great Again by taking it back to the early 20th century.

You deal in a fantasy world

You can spit all the common sense you want, and we'd all agree with you if common sense still ruled the world. However, what would be considered common sense and basically not being a soulless automaton is now subject to whatever some broken person thinks might be "inappropriate"

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
bird. said:
I do think, however, that there's a middle ground between touching everyone as you please (non-sexually of course, sexual touching is a whole different deal and obviously inappropriate as you said) and being a soulless automaton.
The people who are likely to complain about a simple touch are the kind of people who actually want a workplace full of soulless automatons.

bird.LA

Jul 14, 2002
LA
hammies said:
bird. said:
The people who are likely to complain about a simple touch are the kind of people who actually want a workplace full of soulless automatons.
Or maybe they just would prefer that YOU don't touch them.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Classic thread. Wah, women won't let us touch them and I can't help myself and now I might get in trouble for it! Wah.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Was greeted this AM with a pat on the shoulder by a female employee.

I surveyed a few of my coworkers - nobody had heard of a pat on the back or momentarily touching someone's shoulder being a big nono, EVER.

Talked to my supervisor, she had never heard such a thing, especially when in the presence of other coworkers. She said anything beyond momentary touching when not in the presence of others would obviously be a no.

She decided to email HR and ask if our org of thousands of employees had a policy or position on this.
HR said that a pat on the shoulder or on the back is absolutely acceptable unless the pat-ee says otherwise. After that it becomes unacceptable.
This per their outside legal team.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
casa_mugrienta said:
HR said that a pat on the shoulder or on the back is absolutely acceptable unless the pat-ee says otherwise.
So, did you have your coworker fired or not?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
casa_mugrienta said:
StuAzole said:
Classic thread. Wah, women won't let us touch them and I can't help myself and now I might get in trouble for it! Wah.
Yeah OK :rolleyes:
how is it that you and I occupy the same basic space in America but only you're afraid of what hypothetical women might one day do to you?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
StuAzole said:
casa_mugrienta said:
StuAzole said:
how is it that you and I occupy the same basic space in America but only you're afraid of what hypothetical women might one day do to you?
Because one of you has blinders on and one of you is realistic.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:
casa_mugrienta said:
StuAzole said:
Sexual Harassment isn't a new thing in the work place. I've been trained on it for my entire working life. I've never been afraid. Are you telling me I should have spend the past 20+ years worrying about women I worked with accusing me of things I didn't do?

The funny part is that I've seen several co-workers go down for harassment. And you know what? Every single one of them deserved it. Every, single, one. One guy berated women and made sexually-driven comments repeatedly. One guy actually grabbed a co-worker's tit at a bar while at a work party. One guy used to go out of his way to pat women on the ass, despite several warnings.

I've never known a single man to be accused of sexual harassment who didn't have it coming. So yeah, one of us is a realist.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:
casa_mugrienta said:
StuAzole said:
if you think you have to worry about it, then i guess you have something to worry about.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
StuAzole said:
ifallalot said:
StuAzole said:
casa_mugrienta said:
StuAzole said:
Sexual Harassment isn't a new thing in the work place. I've been trained on it for my entire working life. I've never been afraid. Are you telling me I should have spend the past 20+ years worrying about women I worked with accusing me of things I didn't do?

The funny part is that I've seen several co-workers go down for harassment. And you know what? Every single one of them deserved it. Every, single, one. One guy berated women and made sexually-driven comments repeatedly. One guy actually grabbed a co-worker's tit at a bar while at a work party. One guy used to go out of his way to pat women on the ass, despite several warnings.

I've never known a single man to be accused of sexual harassment who didn't have it coming. So yeah, one of us is a realist.
The last 20 years is very different than the last 2 or 3 since the world has gone full retard