ErBB Roundtable: Male Victimhood

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
bird. said:
the janitor said:
Tailhook scandal was in 1991, TOPGUN got bounced to Fallon in 1996. In the early 90's, touching your coworker in an innocent and non-sexual manner did not send society at large straight to the fainting couch :foreheadslap:
And yet, it still caused problems for the guy who touched her.

Maybe our difference in outlook is because I was in school for the 90s and most of the 2000s and this sh!t was drilled into us from a young age. We knew from the jump that this kind of behavior could get us in trouble. Just don't touch your coworkers if they don't want to be touched. It's not hard, old guys.

I guess this post is white knighting? :rolleyes:
The bold part above is basic, agreed.

But, this bit is a whole other worldview

bird. said:
If you can't work without touching your coworkers you don't deserve to hold your job. This is nothing new.

Nobody's getting fired over a handshake. GTFO.
for me, the bold stuff is common sense. The red stuff is a fear based view of the workplace which I think isn't good for anyone.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
FecalFace said:
hammies said:
I think it's a key workplace skill to know your coworkers and be sure of how you can act around who. I have some female coworkers who are super cool and some who I wouldn't touch under any circumstances, or even act friendly with.
Reading visual and audio cues is the key.

Only if you completely lack awareness of the people around you, don't give a sh!t or you're on the spectrum, would this be a problem.

Apparently, ifail, Caca and janitor have one of those three problems. I'm guessing 1 and 2
oh no, I've been ilked! But why :shrug:

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
the janitor said:
bird. said:
the janitor said:
Tailhook scandal was in 1991, TOPGUN got bounced to Fallon in 1996. In the early 90's, touching your coworker in an innocent and non-sexual manner did not send society at large straight to the fainting couch :foreheadslap:

Maybe our difference in outlook is because I was in school for the 90s and most of the 2000s and this sh!t was drilled into us from a young age. We knew from the jump that this kind of behavior could get us in trouble. Just don't touch your coworkers if they don't want to be touched. It's not hard, old guys.

bird. said:
If you can't work without touching your coworkers you don't deserve to hold your job. This is nothing new.

for me, the bold stuff is common sense. The red stuff is a fear based view of the workplace which I think isn't good for anyone.
Please explain. To me, the red part is just a more troll-ish way of saying the same thing as the bold part.

Where does fear come into it?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
mundus said:
Rightwing white males are way bigger whiners than SJWs.
This!!!

They don't wear pussy hats because it would only be redundant. They are the walking, talking, drooling epitome of a Georgia O'Keefe painting. Except the painting is more literate.

But being a gigantic pussy, scared of the outdoors, any kind of change or anything not according to a regimented schedule, is the hallmark of the conservative. It's good for the cruise line business though. :socrazy:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
New business idea: shelters for scared, white men. Counseling will be provided, along with safe spaces, safety blankets and punching bags with scary women's faces on them.

We'll make a killing!

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Kento said:
mundus said:
This!!!

They don't wear pussy hats because it would only be redundant. They are the walking, talking, drooling epitome of a Georgia O'Keefe painting. Except the painting is more literate.

But being a gigantic pussy, scared of the outdoors, any kind of change or anything not according to a regimented schedule, is the hallmark of the conservative. It's good for the cruise line business though. :socrazy:
I’ve never been on a cruise

Should I try one?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
BillyOcean said:
Kento said:
mundus said:
This!!!

Should I try one?
Bring measles.

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
BillyOcean said:
Kento said:
mundus said:
This!!!

Should I try one?
You'll want to bring one of the liberal mighty outdoorsmen with just in case you shipwreck.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Kento said:
But being a gigantic pussy, scared of the outdoors, any kind of change or anything not according to a regimented schedule, is the hallmark of the conservative.
👆🏼💯👆🏼💯👆🏼💯👆🏼💯👆🏼💯👆🏼💯👆🏼

They always like to dig their little heels in on society moving forward.

Bless.

They fail every time but they will not stop trying.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Kento said:
mundus said:
This!!!

[img:center]https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/614/639/9df.gif[/img]

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
bird. said:
the janitor said:
bird. said:
the janitor said:

bird. said:

Please explain. To me, the red part is just a more troll-ish way of saying the same thing as the bold part.

Well there is always the chance that I'm misunderstanding something. But John's story was about an older, successful guy that innocently touched a woman on the arm in a non sexual way, with other people in the room. Because of the strict reporting rules, once the woman complained, procedures must be followed and dude gets a written reprimand that goes on his permanent record.

The moral of the story, to me, isn't - he never should have touched her like that. It's that the machine had rules that must be adhered to and common sense shall not be applied. Why? Because of fear. Fear of lawsuits, reprimands, unsafe work environments.

Given the Tailhook scandal, which was awful, I can understand why the pendulum swung hard and probably too far the other way. Military Sexual Trauma is a persistent and brutal reality for women in the military.

But the notion that any kind of physical contact can end a career is troubling. Predatory dudes in the workplace should definitely be shown the door asap. But if the notion now is that everyone needs to be a soulless corporate robot, then that's a different kind of bad as well.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
the janitor said:
FecalFace said:
hammies said:
I think it's a key workplace skill to know your coworkers and be sure of how you can act around who. I have some female coworkers who are super cool and some who I wouldn't touch under any circumstances, or even act friendly with.

Only if you completely lack awareness of the people around you, don't give a sh!t or you're on the spectrum, would this be a problem.

Apparently, ifail, Caca and janitor have one of those three problems. I'm guessing 1 and 2
Because disagreeing with what Bird said doesn't make sense, unless you are of their ilk.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
FecalFace said:
the janitor said:
FecalFace said:
hammies said:

Because disagreeing with what Bird said doesn't make sense, unless you are of their ilk.
Ahh :monkey:

I'm not as old as you, but I have also managed to not rape anyone at work or inappropriately touch them. I've even managed to do this with female bosses, co-workers and subordinates while working in the marketing/tech field. But - and you may want to sit down for this part - I have actually touched people, while working :eek:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
the janitor said:
But if the notion now is that everyone needs to be a soulless corporate robot, then that's a different kind of bad as well.
not everybody - just those of us who work for soulless corporations.

test_article

Kelly Slater status
Sep 25, 2009
Body of Christ, Texas
the janitor said:
bird. said:
the janitor said:
bird. said:
the janitor said:

bird. said:

Well there is always the chance that I'm misunderstanding something. But John's story was about an older, successful guy that innocently touched a woman on the arm in a non sexual way, with other people in the room. Because of the strict reporting rules, once the woman complained, procedures must be followed and dude gets a written reprimand that goes on his permanent record.

The moral of the story, to me, isn't - he never should have touched her like that. It's that the machine had rules that must be adhered to and common sense shall not be applied. Why? Because of fear. Fear of lawsuits, reprimands, unsafe work environments.

Given the Tailhook scandal, which was awful, I can understand why the pendulum swung hard and probably too far the other way. Military Sexual Trauma is a persistent and brutal reality for women in the military.

But the notion that any kind of physical contact can end a career is troubling. Predatory dudes in the workplace should definitely be shown the door asap. But if the notion now is that everyone needs to be a soulless corporate robot, then that's a different kind of bad as well.
Tell it to your priest.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
the janitor said:
bird. said:
the janitor said:
bird. said:
the janitor said:

bird. said:

If you know that any sort of physical contact could get you in trouble, wouldn't you just not touch people? It's perplexing that this is even a discussion.