Edge Boards (Andreini/Greenough)

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Not that anyone has chimed in with any experience with an Andreini edge board which is probably to be expected as it's a newer offering from him and his other designs work so well so why would you want to mess witha great thing.
Does anyone have any experience with the power blade fin? I think this is the recommended setup with his Edge but, like my Vaquero, I want to add side bites and wonder if those go with the design.
I think the Power Blades are intended for shorter edge boards and the speed fins for longer.

I had a 9’2”. Forget the name but it’s supposed to be a better wave or winter version of a Vaquero. Epic board. Want another one. This one was made for someone about 40 or 50 lbs lighter than me.

I had a lot of fun flying across closed out beach break walls on it. Points were really fun too. Like someone else said they go good in chop. In one of the articles, I recall Greenough saying his motivation was the A grade waves got too crowded and wanted to design something that would make B grade waves more fun when conditions were not good.

I think I’m am going to give @Surficonoclast a shot and skip the Andreini wait. I believe he learned the edge from Andreini.

53D2F707-2CB8-49B9-9124-C63FAB749851.jpegEBFC26A9-B1BC-4A3D-9A32-6BD464E6853F.jpeg

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Episode 274 of Surf Splendor has a lot of info on this. Apparently, Dave Parmenter approves of this design enhancement as well, which was pretty much the main validating takeaway I took so far, halfway through.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Another fin the worked in small surf in that board I posted is the wing tipped keel. It gave the board a lot more drive in small surf to generate speed.

Reactions: Chocki and chilly1

Hullman

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 29, 2005
I've made a few but have only ridden one made by someone else (Paul Gross). My feeling was that if you surf them like most people surf a "regular" board, they feel pretty much like a hard tucked-under rail. Crispy but forgiving. They'll make a wider board feel a little narrower but all-in-all, not worth the effort to shape or glass (especially sanding). That said, if you ride them like Greenough ultimately did, they are a unique trip. He refined the design by fitting his sail boards with the bottom and found that on a reach, when you put the board at just the right angle, the board will run along the edge and there is a noticeable increase in trim speed due to the reduced wetted area. The key to getting the most out of the trim speed is to shape the edge at the perfect distance from the rail and keep the height of the edge in proportion with the distance. You want to be able to roll it up and run on the edge without too much rail engaging the wave face. It's a treat if you pull it off, but really touchy to hold the angle for any length of time. They are dragsters not Formula 1 cars.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Watch the slide in the turns at the 2:50 and 3:20 marks.
At 3:35 it almost seemed like he knew exactly when it would slide the cut it short. Slide is fun but that looks more like a jerk like someone pulled the carpet out under you.

That Rasta video is kind of a nonstarter

When I got towards the end of the podcast they revealed that you really must be on your game to get the most out of this design (like Hullman mentioned), considering I will apply to a midlength I may be just a bit too lazy to want to be on my game when I mostly feel like cruising, but maybe.

It just occurred to me that Ben Aipa had a design like this called the bevel, my friend was getting (and ripping upon) these custom shortboards in the early 90s

Hullman

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 29, 2005
At 3:35 it almost seemed like he knew exactly when it would slide the cut it short. Slide is fun but that looks more like a jerk like someone pulled the carpet out under you.

That Rasta video is kind of a nonstarter

When I got towards the end of the podcast they revealed that you really must be on your game to get the most out of this design (like Hullman mentioned), considering I will apply to a midlength I may be just a bit too lazy to want to be on my game when I mostly feel like cruising, but maybe.

It just occurred to me that Ben Aipa had a design like this called the bevel, my friend was getting (and ripping upon) these custom shortboards in the early 90s
Rasta does the dreaded starfish. That looks like a rocker and fin problem for the uninitiated... You could put them on a cruiser and look bitchin' but not sure you would notice it much. Marc knows his stuff and so did Anderson. Not sure if anyone is doing Scott's designs and shapes these days. Steve Pendarvis in San Diego has a pile of templates he copied when he visited Greenough a few years ago and could probably throw a nice one together for you. Same with Duncan at Wilderness although his are more like a bevel bottom than edge. I talked to Bob Mitzven about them some time ago and he just rolled his eyes. Mitzven glassed my first one and when I brought the shaped blank to him he asked me, "Who the hell made this?" When I told him that I did, he just shook his head...

Reactions: chilly1

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
If you're going mid length might I suggest this bottom as a more forgiving and predictable one to consider. This is on my 5'10" fish but I also have it in a 6'6" fish nosed wide diamond tail groveller and a 5'5" shovel nosed mini simmons. The locked in feeling and speed high up on a hollow walled wave that the bottom/rail can give is exhilarating.
IMG_20220314_200314.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Hullman and chilly1

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
If you're going mid length might I suggest this bottom as a more forgiving and predictable one to consider. This is on my 5'10" fish but I also have it in a 6'6" fish nosed wide diamond tail groveller and a 5'5" shovel nosed mini simmons. The locked in feeling and speed high up on a hollow walled wave that the bottom/rail can give is exhilarating.
View attachment 126089

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
living in andreini country, ive seen several edge boards in the wild. generally look kinda lame under foot for the average surfer in average california waves.

dont think this clip has been posted here yet. yeah i know slo mo :barf:

but you can really get a visual on how the water sheds off the edge and doesnt wrap onto the rails. d. gooch is not ur average surfer so expect this is about as well as this particular application is going to go

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
living in andreini country, ive seen several edge boards in the wild. generally look kinda lame under foot for the average surfer in average california waves.

dont think this clip has been posted here yet. yeah i know slo mo :barf:

but you can really get a visual on how the water sheds off the edge and doesnt wrap onto the rails. d. gooch is not ur average surfer so expect this is about as well as this particular application is going to go

That's a cool video! If you didn't know about it and weren't actually looking for the edge it would seem like there was some kind of optical illusion happening.