Edge Boards (Andreini/Greenough)

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
If you had to choose between a 6’4 and 6’6 edge board which one would you pick?
Neither. I just bought a McNeill RTT fish with the Torus channel which is kind of the inverse of the edge board concept. Isn't it funny how polar opposites in design elements can work in surfboards?IMG_0609.jpg

Last edited:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Thanks man. This means so much coming from a titan of the catergory such as yourself. Do I get a prize? Participation trophy at the very least? It's ok no need to answer that...I'm battling demons (not inner ones) at the moment so this was carthartic in providing a vent-uri. Maybe think about my post for a hot second first. Do you see Rasta sliding out on boards featuring a Torus channel? Ask the same question but substitute in edge board. Maybe not every kneeboard design innovation Greenough came up with carried its effectiveness over to stand up boards unless they are in the hipster/awkward to surf catergory.
:cheers:

Last edited:

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Ellis Ericson has some pretty sweet designs happening, check out this edgeboard post and video, after last ride he swings his board around revielin "3 mini power blades" Basically a powerblade thruster set up. REminds me of that Curren part in the original Lost 5'5x19.25 when he under the guidance of Greenaugh shapes his spin off of an M Peterson shape and then the finished product is equiped wiyth fixed, what looks to be a precursor to the powerblade thrister... 25+ years ago

http://instagr.am/p/CwQ1czlOA2G/

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006

They're interesting. I love the history. They're sexy. Whenever I watch video of the boards being surfed well, I wonder if the "well" aspect is happening because of the boards or in spite of them. If I got one it would be a super stubby/wide/curvy little thing. And then I'd look for an empty point break. lol. Or maybe a unicorn?

At the end of the day, for everyone that isn't earning a paycheck with their surfing, surfboards are just toys. Functional sculpture whose purpose is to deliver sensations/entertainment/fun to the surfer. So everything is valid if it's working for you. Or somebody else.