Edge Boards (Andreini/Greenough)

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Has anyone had any experience with this design and potential "enhancement"?
I am far down the Andreini order list but will eventually be ordering again and while the edge feature has been at the far back of my mind, I ran into a guy on the who has one that was an absolutely fantastic looking variation of the Vaquero featuring the edge and pretty much preached the noticeability of the renowned down the line trim yet by cutting in the bevel edge, it goes on the rail much more swiftly. If Mark backs it and George thought of it I suppose that's endorsement enough...

Link to Edge:

I've toyed around with hulls over the past few years and have three, a 7'0" Greg Liddle NIBT, 6'6" Fineline Microdirt, and 6'1" Klaus Jones Siglo, along with an edge board that was shaped by Scott Anderson (R.I.P.), a 6'3" based on the Liddle M3P template.

I primarily ride all of them in beach breaks and have spent a lot of time riding them in conditions that they probably were not suited for. The hulls will go in a variety of conditions, but ultimately they demand a certain wave shape. Specifically, a wave that provides continuous bottom tension down the line of the wave face, and pulls off the bed without becoming too steep or dumpy. The hulls also do not do well in chop.

I would say that the edge board handles chop and discontinuities in the wave energy better than the hulls do, allowing it to perform in less than adequate conditions. The design also allows you to make more critical turns, and take more aggressive angles of attack off the bottom, than the hulls which require a more down the line, pelican-style surfing approach. The edge also handles steep drops going backside better than the hulls I have, and I have made some tubes that I never would have on a proper hull. I will say though, that this additional boost in performance oriented surfing is also due to the outline and rocker profile of the edge board I have. The Michael Peterson Stubby inspired outline is gold IMO, and works so well in an variety of conditions.

Overall the edge board feels somewhat akin to a hull, but you can tell you are riding a board with a significant concave bottom, rather than a round bottom board. In critical waves with juice, down the line Outer Banks waves that aren't totally top to bottom, I felt like the board was lifting out of the water too much and felt disengaged/out of control. The board is still a lot of fun though, when used in the proper conditions, and if ordering an Andreini was a viable option for me these days, I would go for another, maybe a shorter Serena Edge for outer bar days in the northern Outer Banks. His concaves look a lot deeper, and edges a lot more pronounced than Anderson's.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Well, this is 40 years ago so my memory is a bit hazy but the place smelled like weed the guys in there didn’t seem to welcoming.

I know that over the years some people associated with the place were into some drug dealing so I could have walked in at the wrong time.

You have to understand that in the 70s and 80s you had mind your Ps and Qs around here and it wasn’t all that uncommon for grown men to through hands at kids. I’ve seen some crazy sh!t go down at some local breaks and the guys in the shop that day looked just like the type that did crazy sh!t.

But again, I was 12 so wtf do I know?
Green Room IV
Ocean Rythms SB
Sparks Skate Park Goleta

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I've toyed around with hulls over the past few years and have three, a 7'0" Greg Liddle NIBT, 6'6" Fineline Microdirt, and 6'1" Klaus Jones Siglo, along with an edge board that was shaped by Scott Anderson (R.I.P.), a 6'3" based on the Liddle M3P template.

I primarily ride all of them in beach breaks and have spent a lot of time riding them in conditions that they probably were not suited for. The hulls will go in a variety of conditions, but ultimately they demand a certain wave shape. Specifically, a wave that provides continuous bottom tension down the line of the wave face, and pulls off the bed without becoming too steep or dumpy. The hulls also do not do well in chop.

I would say that the edge board handles chop and discontinuities in the wave energy better than the hulls do, allowing it to perform in less than adequate conditions. The design also allows you to make more critical turns, and take more aggressive angles of attack off the bottom, than the hulls which require a more down the line, pelican-style surfing approach. The edge also handles steep drops going backside better than the hulls I have, and I have made some tubes that I never would have on a proper hull. I will say though, that this additional boost in performance oriented surfing is also due to the outline and rocker profile of the edge board I have. The Michael Peterson Stubby inspired outline is gold IMO, and works so well in an variety of conditions.

Overall the edge board feels somewhat akin to a hull, but you can tell you are riding a board with a significant concave bottom, rather than a round bottom board. In critical waves with juice, down the line Outer Banks waves that aren't totally top to bottom, I felt like the board was lifting out of the water too much and felt disengaged/out of control. The board is still a lot of fun though, when used in the proper conditions, and if ordering an Andreini was a viable option for me these days, I would go for another, maybe a shorter Serena Edge for outer bar days in the northern Outer Banks. His concaves look a lot deeper, and edges a lot more pronounced than Anderson's.
Thanks BP,

Yes, I fully agree with the description of what types of waves the hulls favor, and that was an excellent description BTW, at least through my experience on my A Vaquero. The only thing I would differ on that is that mine plows through chop like a Cadillac. Not sure what "a narrow concave tow board with hard edges, nose to tail, is shaped underneath a displacement hull with full lifted rails". But I think that Adreini marries his edge with a hull bottom and not concave so perhaps best of both worlds. I will likely go for it as I am a sucker to try something new, the one I saw was magnificent, and will likely order an edge on his Double Ender model 7'2" as I received feedback from another that it is more conducive to turning than the Vaquero plus my Vaq has a lot of life left.
Some of the videos posted here don't really do much for me personally, in favor or against ordering one, mostly because for the most part midlength, hulls or not, videos never look at all that exciting compared to how they feel when actually riding one and particularly in the type of wave you described.

Not really sure how all the rest of the posts here are relevant at all but would be interested to know if GG has any input to this design thread?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Most started with the edge bottom which you are planing on eliminating all the area reduction not following the template inward which is a very important part of design and function

A few years later the edge done by some moves inward with the tail template reducing its area for a much better experience

Reactions: chilly1

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not until later

There is an actual world you missed and reading about it is not the same
You still haven't explained how Skinner owned a ranch in NSW without ever having been there.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Not really sure how all the rest of the posts here are relevant at all but would be interested to know if GG has any input to this design thread?
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Greenough edge was evolved by Michael Cundith into a tri-plane bottom in his stubby shape for more performance on a "normal" surfboard (as opposed to a kneeboard with George) would be relevant. I haven't caught up with Michael for a few years now but could give him a call to fact check myself.
Chris Brock (Morning of the earth) said,
"In 1977 I returned to Australia and started making boards at Sky Surfboards with Michael Cundith, working on double-concave triplanes carrying on the Greenough-inspired designs we were both shaping under the 'Wilderness' label in the late 1960's - Cundith in Santa Barbara USA and us at Angourie."
'Al Merrick acquired one of the early Sky triplanes and built a similar board for years.'

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour