Does the Bern stand a chance?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I found this graphic for average home sizes in the U.S. and other countries. There's probably some distortion because this was as of 2009, whereas I would guess the U.S. average is probably down in size since then. But still.....

View attachment 86435

Home sizes in the U.S., Canada and Australia are way larger than in Europe.
Nice. My home is 500 less square feet than the average. :oops:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Nice. My home is 500 less square feet than the average. :oops:
People tend to make adjustments to their lifestyle choices based on their cash flow. Increase their other expenses and they'll cut back in other ways. If our taxes increase then we'll cut back. If gas and energy prices increase then we'll cut back. If health care costs increase then we'll cut back.

What we won't be able to do is to have it both ways.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
But I think it's pretty obvious we could throw a bone to the working poor and maybe have some kind of public option for preventative care. Poor person making median income $36k gets two free six month checkups or some sh!t so they don't walk up to the ER with something that costs a fortune.
You think?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
People tend to make adjustments to their lifestyle choices based on their cash flow. Increase their other expenses and they'll cut back in other ways. If our taxes increase then we'll cut back. If gas and energy prices increase then we'll cut back. If health care costs increase then we'll cut back.

What we won't be able to do is to have it both ways.
Theoretically but most of what I have seen people do since the 80s is just go (further?) into debt to pay for their lifestyle.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think this hits the nail on the head. Even overtaxed, they seem to have a lot more discretionary income.
I don’t think they have more discretionary income, they just choose to scrimp in areas that most Americans tend to splurge and overextend. They value experiences more than a 3 car garage or a new flat screen every year.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Obama made a comment while he was still in office about people prioritizing their consumer spending ahead of maintaining their health care coverage and he got scorched for it.

The fine for not signing up for coverage would never have been necessary if health care coverage really was as high a priority for most people as its advocates claim.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I don’t think they have more discretionary income, they just choose to scrimp in areas that most Americans tend to splurge and overextend. They value experiences more than a 3 car garage or a new flat screen every year.
You are probably right. I absolutely value experiences and personal accomplishments than materialistic items (books are an exception). German upbringing has a lot to do with that - lebensraum is a subject for a different thread.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Obama made a comment while he was still in office about people prioritizing their consumer spending ahead of maintaining their health care coverage and he got scorched for it.

The fine for not signing up for coverage would never have been necessary if health care coverage really was as high a priority for most people as its advocates claim.
I would have quadrupled the penalty for not carrying health insurance. And that's being really nice as I hate deadbeats (how to truly punish corporate bankruptcy is also another subject for a different thread).

It's a shame he got trounced for that comment as he was exactly right.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Taxes in Sweden: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Sweden#Income_tax

“Circa 32% (ca. 11% county and 20% municipality tax which is the Swedish average): from 20,008 kronor to 468,700 kronor
  • 32% + 20%: from 468,700 kronor to 675,700 kronor
  • 32% + 25%: above 675,700 kronor (prior to 2020) [4]

• 1 dollar = ~10 kronor. With the above, someone making $100k USD/year would be taxed at an effective rate of ~45%. Not to mention how pricey everything else is because of their VAT and other taxes. No thanks

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I think if most working upper/middle class Americans added up their total taxes, state, federal, sales, property, etc etc etc, they would be shocked at how much they are paying out in total right now.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
I think if most working upper/middle class Americans added up their total taxes, state, federal, sales, property, etc etc etc, they would be shocked at how much they are paying out in total right now.

Which is why my wife does ours.
I was shocked indeed.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Another reason why I think it's ludicrous to donate money to a political campaign, especially as a private citizen. You're already giving them money - why enable/embolden them further?

Let the record show that I think it's only fair to send them tax money in a combination of Susan B. Anthony dollars, quarters, Sacajaweas, and Chuck E. Cheese tokens.